Wonderswan WonderWitch information

Beelay

New Challenger
I've been getting back into Wonderswan collecting lately, and it's also come to my attention that there are several games released on the WonderWitch dev kit that didn't see actual retail releases (like Judgement Silversword and Dicing Knight Period did). As a result, I figure I'll have to buy a WonderWitch one of these days.

However, finding concrete information on it seems to be pretty difficult as the last few hours of googling on my part appear to suggest.
So, I have a few questions: Is there a directory of WonderWitch games that I can download stuff from? I think I've found an official repository at http://wonderwitch.qute.co.jp/ but the downloads section is gated behind a username and password and the registration page no longer functions.

On top of that, how much of the Dev Kit do I need to put the games onto the cart? Can I do that with just the cart and cable or do I need the software, too?
Also, is there a guide on how to go about doing that, especially on a modern PC?

Hope someone has the answers I'm looking for! For clarification, I have no intention to use the WonderWitch to play any games that actually got a physical release, or for piracy of any sort.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Judgement and Dicing knight did get physical releases.

Wonderswan has mostly dropped off the face of the earth. There's not a big enough market for resellers, so even the common titles are hard to find right now.

Wonderwitch is really dated. You'll need a serial cable, and a computer that can run the old software. It's really a pain.

Beelay

New Challenger
Thanks for those links, Cyclops!

And yeah, I'm aware it's a bit of hassle to get games going on one, but I'm all about original hardware and really want to play Cardinal Sins and Self Produce as legitimately as possible.
Pretty sure my IBM Aptiva I use for DOS/Win95 games should do the trick!

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I have a complete copy of Judgment Silversword so I know that got released.

Never had a WonderWitch but I do love the system in general.

Beelay

New Challenger
I have a complete copy of Judgment Silversword so I know that got released.

Never had a WonderWitch but I do love the system in general.
I am very jealous of that. I plan on owning that and Dicing Knight someday soon.
And yeah, it's got such personality for a handheld, I love it.

In other news, I bought a cart-only WonderWitch on ebay today for like, $15.
Figured it would be worth it for cheap instead of paying out the ass for the whole set. Now I just need to wait for one of those cables to come up.
Don't suppose anyone has one spare that they could sell me? :)

Edit: alternately, how feasible would it be to wire one up myself? Anyone know what pins I would need to match to what?
DOUBLE EDIT: Nevermind, just found a tutorial! http://ktstg.blog.shinobi.jp/Entry/747/ Still interested in buying one instead, though.

One final question, then! Does anyone know where I can download TransMagic, the program used to transfer files between a PC and WS?
Alternately, I believe I've read you can just do it through the DOS terminal, would this be through a simple copy command via interlnk/intersvr or am I wrong in thinking that this would work?

ANOTHER EDIT: Found it here: http://wonderwitch.qute.co.jp/index_wwp.html

This whole post now boils down to "Does anyone have a WonderSwan to Serial cable for sale?"

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
you will be better off making one. Most people have thrown away anything with pins on it.

If you find a place with decent wonderswan selection, let us know. I've been looking for some titles for years.

famicommander

15 Year Member
you will be better off making one. Most people have thrown away anything with pins on it.

If you find a place with decent wonderswan selection, let us know. I've been looking for some titles for years.

I have bought many titles here:
http://global.rakuten.com/en/search/?sid=surugaya-a-too&tl=200593

It can take awhile for them to send you confirmations and actually ship the stuff out, but the prices are really unbeatable.

His selection is about as small as I've ever seen it but he does replenish from time to time. He has a copy of Judgement Silversword right now, though.

I need to convince myself not to buy that copy of Space Invaders. Been spending too much lately.

Beelay

New Challenger
I have bought many titles here:
http://global.rakuten.com/en/search/?sid=surugaya-a-too&tl=200593

It can take awhile for them to send you confirmations and actually ship the stuff out, but the prices are really unbeatable.

His selection is about as small as I've ever seen it but he does replenish from time to time. He has a copy of Judgement Silversword right now, though.

I need to convince myself not to buy that copy of Space Invaders. Been spending too much lately.

I've heard of this guy before, but I was never sure about how reliable he is. How is the condition of his stuff? Does it come in boxes?

famicommander

15 Year Member
Everything I've gotten from him has been in great shape.

He sells some games complete, others loose. It should say on each individual listing.

Beelay

New Challenger
Everything I've gotten from him has been in great shape.

He sells some games complete, others loose. It should say on each individual listing.

That's cool to hear! Where does it say what it comes with? I can't find anything on the English or Japanese pages of these items.

famicommander

15 Year Member
When it's cart only it usually says "there is no box theory" or something. It's in Engrish but it's there.

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
I wish Dicing knight wasn't so expensive on yahoo or I would have bought a copy already. =(

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I have dicing knight on the wonderswan CIB and it is awesome. Only thing that sucks is the dpad is awkward.

Quite a hard game to find.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Plus that you'll probably have to pay an arm and a leg for Dicing Knights or Judgement Silversword.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I see judgement silversword way more often than dicing knight due to it have a reprint iirc.