Windows 7 remote desktop.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I have a window 7 desktop PC and a windows 7 tablet PC (not android,etc)

I want to use the window tablet to remote control the desktop PC. I can connect the two using remote desktop. The problem is when I do this the desktop PC being remotely controlled display will exit to the log in screen instead of staying logged into windows and the display will switch over to the tablet pc.

Basically what I want is for the tablet display and the PC display to mirror each other so I can control the PC actions with the tablet. Is this possible.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I have a window 7 desktop PC and a windows 7 tablet PC (not android,etc)

I want to use the window tablet to remote control the desktop PC. I can connect the two using remote desktop. The problem is when I do this the desktop PC being remotely controlled display will exit to the log in screen instead of staying logged into windows and the display will switch over to the tablet pc.

Basically what I want is for the tablet display and the PC display to mirror each other so I can control the PC actions with the tablet. Is this possible.

Remote Desktop will not support this. VNC will. Install the Free VNC Server, or TightVNC on the desktop PC and a VNC client on your tablet and you should be good to go.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Actually, now that I think about it, you could setup Remote Assistance, and set up either a non-expiring password, or just create a support group policy that will allow your two machines to do a Remote Assistance session without passwords. Microsoft has a little KB doc here to walk you through that. You could do what you want without any additional software, but I still think VNC would be the friendlier option.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Thanks for the response. I will give both your recommendations a try.

Undefined

Pope Sazae's fake account
Remote Desktop will not support this. VNC will. Install the Free VNC Server, or TightVNC on the desktop PC and a VNC client on your tablet and you should be good to go.

I'm personally not a fan of VNC, their support is very poor and I do not like having to deal with Java in order to run it. Lately I have been a big fan of Splashtop since it allows for great mirror access to my desktop from both a tablet and even my cell phone.

Zapperkhan

Kula's Candy
I've been using Google Chrome's Remote Desktop addon, it runs as a service on the PC and I access it on my phone easily. Best part is it's free. Works really well over data as well. I often start a download on my PC while i'm on the train home, for later.

Last edited:

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Yeah some flavor of vnc or you could use Teamviewer. Teamviewer is handy for remote outside your home if needed and don't have static ip's. They have mobile apps as well.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Of all the options that have been presented in this thread which will allow me to stream music/video from my desktop pc to my tablet pc without the constant stop and go buffering stuttering.

Undefined

Pope Sazae's fake account
Of all the options that have been presented in this thread which will allow me to stream music/video from my desktop pc to my tablet pc without the constant stop and go buffering stuttering.

Teamviewer would be your best bet in that situation.

Zapperkhan

Kula's Candy

I use a PLEX server for movies and audio on my network. There's a PLEX client on just about every current media device. It basically presents itself as Netflix but for all your video and audio files.

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
It would seem I have a lot of software to play with now, thanks guys.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Yes if you're looking for something for streaming audio/video. Plex is a great solution at the moment. Plenty of apps for various devices.