Why you do dis?

Caliburn89

Kabuki Klasher
It's a waste of time to use someone else' IP and assets.

Another Metroid 2 Remake is the most recent example, but there have been dozens of them. All you need to do is rebrand it, instead of Samus Aran, you're Erin Summers, you aren't hunting Metroids you're hunting Tredoims. You adjust the names of abilities, and the aesthetics and you make something that's legally distinct from your inspiration. While still playing fundamentally the same.

You can release it, then maybe if you absolutely want a metroid 2 thing, you just make a mod that reskins and renames everything that's third party and seperate. This shit isn't rocket science.

It's a waste of time and effort because all of these projects get C&D'd at some point.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
It's a waste of time to use someone else' IP and assets.

Another Metroid 2 Remake is the most recent example, but there have been dozens of them. All you need to do is rebrand it, instead of Samus Aran, you're Erin Summers, you aren't hunting Metroids you're hunting Tredoims. You adjust the names of abilities, and the aesthetics and you make something that's legally distinct from your inspiration. While still playing fundamentally the same.

You can release it, then maybe if you absolutely want a metroid 2 thing, you just make a mod that reskins and renames everything that's third party and seperate. This shit isn't rocket science.

It's a waste of time and effort because all of these projects get C&D'd at some point.

mAXCMwi.gif

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Even if you do get a cease-and-desist letter, depending on how you coded the game, it might still be completely usable as an original IP with some cosmetic changes. There have been many times in the industry when a developer/publisher lost, or gained, a license, and altered their product to reflect that.

It's a very common thing. Just a few days ago after looking (locally) for more months than I can honestly recall (I think 6) I found ICE NINE for GBA. That game, plot and all, was supposed to be made for that movie 'The Recruit' but the studio got all shitty on them after it was done, so they without a license just changed the character faces/names and called it Ice Nine. It's a fantastic FPS game using the same engine Doom2 and Duke 3D use.