Why hasn't nuclear armageddon happened?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Nuclear weapons aren't what they appear, they're purely defensive insofar as to deter conquest.

Well maybe except with Japan, fry baby fry.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
because the people in charge have been smarter than most people think.
That may not true in the coming future.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
because the people in charge have been smarter than most people think.
That may not true in the coming future.

It's not the people in power who have prevented it. In fact, it's in spite of them that we've avoided it. Several times, it's come down to an underling not being able to pull the trigger, only for officials to realize later that the radar hit was a false positive of flocks of birds rather than nuclear-equipped missiles.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Various powers have been smarter about them than many think, but to say everyone has isn't right either. When the USSR bought it, stuff did leak out...materials, scientists, and worse. That's where luck comes into play that some terrorist crank from that region, the middle east or elsewhere hasn't used some black market materials yet to make a dirty bomb go off in a major city (like that Sum of All Fears book/movie.)

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
India and Pakistan just need someone to do something stupid. They'd then wipe each other out fairly quick. And probably the rest of the world with them. That border is a ticking time bomb.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Nuclear weapons aren't what they appear, they're purely defensive insofar as to deter conquest.

Well maybe except with Japan, fry baby fry.

Pretty much this. A nuclear missile is merely a defensive tool, used to keep other countries from fucking with them. I would say you have to be really crazy to not realize that if you used a nuclear missile then many countries would target you immediately in retaliation. It's pretty much a death sentence if used. You also have to consider if your allies are going to have your back if it could mean being in the midst of nuclear warfare.

A nuclear weapon is also hard to hide if fired. Everyone will know immediately where it came from. That's why I feel in a way a nuclear weapon is kind of an old tool. The way countries/terrorists are attacking is evolving. We are in the middle of a digital age, which means attacks are shifting to a new form, hacking.

Do you want to spend millions on a nuclear missiles, and centrifuges, or spend a few grand on computer equipment and try to hack into a power grid, or water treatment plant running 40 year old hardware, from behind the safety of a trail of hidden virtual IP's? A successful hack on a power grid(s) could kill more people than a nuclear explosion, if unable to be fixed in a timely manner. Terrorists realize this, and that's why they are so tech-savvy.

You also must consider that there are counter-measures taken to obliterate or postpone other countries nuclear programs. For example STUXNET.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet

If one fell in the hands of an elusive group like ISIS though, I think they would eventually use it.

I've been saying for awhile now that this conflict is nowhere near over. Maybe it will end in our lifetime, maybe not, but it's going to get much worse before it gets better. People think I'm crazy when I say this, but no amount of conflict is going to result in world peace as long as we all have religious differences.

Here are 3 possible the scenarios I see unfolding:

1. We annihilate almost everyone on this planet, and repeat the cycle.
2. Science finally explains religion in a way that everyone must accept, because it has been proven 100%.
3. Science finally disproves religion in a way that no one can deny, and it is accpeted throughout the world.

2 or 3 are probably not happening in our lifetime.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
People think I'm crazy when I say this, but no amount of conflict is going to result in world peace as long as we all have religious differences.
The problem is ideology, not religion. Convictions that can not tolerate the differing of opinions.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
greedostick must be That Guy At Work who you just nod and say 'yup' to when he talks.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
i worked with a guy who let his son stealing his credit card upset him a great deal, but would preach to me about how we all make our own reality and its a figment of our imagination and that we're in some matrix where once we're conscious (like him) we are free of the brainwash

he also told me that AIDs is a hoax

he also told me that i'm crazy for showing him my tits at work

the moral of the story is that we control our own reality and not one single person on this planet right now wants to drop a nuclear bomb bad enough to show us the results

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
not one single person on this planet right now wants to drop a nuclear bomb bad enough to show us the results

The past is full of people who, given the chance, would have.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
greedostick must be That Guy At Work who you just nod and say 'yup' to when he talks.

Or im the guy with an actual education past high school.

The stuff im saying makes eense if you actually think about it. And I dont talk about stuff like this in real life because people would just nod and go on. I know how it sounds when i say the things i say.

@ xsq - valid point. I would agree.

Last edited: