Who was our resident clothes designer?

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Wouldn't mind talking it up - couldn't find the old threads he made, though. Some day I'd like to design clothes... not too sure how to get what's in my head into fabric. So many things on the to-do list.

Anyway, whoever you are - what projects, if any, are you working on now? How's the design industry been treating you?

beatifik

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
me? maybe?

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122402

yeah, right now i'm actually working on getting my own thing started. hopefully launching for fall/winter '07 which gives me a solid year to work on it. a small classics-inspired menswear collection.

i'm almost finished setting up my studio. i've got a new sewing machine and serger and bought a knitting machine and dressform from ebay.

i went fabric shopping yesterday. just to start to get some ideas. i had to buy some fabric because there was only like 2 yds left, but i don't know what i'm going to do with it yet. i love it.

i'm also working freelance for various companies doing sketches/graphics/concept/color/trending stuff. it pays my bills.

if you want to get started, try to make some connections with people who are working in the industry already. that's really the best/easiest way to do it. go to new york or l.a.

have you gone to design school?

do you want to create clothes for yourself, or to be sold?

have you sewn before?

what market are you looking to reach? high-end fashion? streetwear? specialty? mens? womens? kids?

good luck man, and feel free to ask more specific questions in this thread or by pm.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I too am curious about this trade.

I'm a designer (not clothes but piping) and we use several CAD programs to lay out our designs and for fabrication.

What, if any, design programs do you use? I know that the mass producers use CAD along with some solid-modeling (for tooling).

beatifik

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
Magnaflux said:
I too am curious about this trade.

I'm a designer (not clothes but piping) and we use several CAD programs to lay out our designs and for fabrication.

What, if any, design programs do you use? I know that the mass producers use CAD along with some solid-modeling (for tooling).

ok, here's the list:

adobe photoshop - graphics
adobe illustrator - graphics and technical sketches
u4ia - fabric design. knits, sweaters and wovens
karatCAD - technical sketching for spec. packages

there are generally tech designers who take care of the CAD stuff, and the designers and their assistants use the adobe stuff, but i used to do both because our tech designer was responsible for way too many departments.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Indeed. What's up beatifik? I knew it was a brooklyn mate.

Congrats on setting up your own gig. It takes a lot of work and passion - I'm trying to hold my own in another field (game dev). I just took out my first loan in November... looking to finish my first projects around the same time as you.

As far as clothes go, I'm mostly looking to design for myself. I figure if I'm going to lose money on clothes I better lose money on clothes I make rather than buying clothes I don't particularly enjoy. That, and I'm just completely frustrated with the clothes available to me in general.

What sewing machine do you use? I've seen some that connect to your USB and can embroider patterns, but I've heard greatly varying stories about those machines (as far as the quality of the stitch). I've been putting off buying my own machine for about 3 years - haven't actually sewn anything in about 8.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
ForeverSublime said:

Congrats on setting up your own gig. It takes a lot of work and passion - I'm trying to hold my own in another field (game dev). I just took out my first loan in November... looking to finish my first projects around the same time as you.

As far as clothes go, I'm mostly looking to design for myself. I figure if I'm going to lose money on clothes I better lose money on clothes I make rather than buying clothes I don't particularly enjoy. That, and I'm just completely frustrated with the clothes available to me in general.

What sewing machine do you use? I've seen some that connect to your USB and can embroider patterns, but I've heard greatly varying stories about those machines (as far as the quality of the stitch). I've been putting off buying my own machine for about 3 years - haven't actually sewn anything in about 8.

Most of these machines use CNC (computer numerical code) controls. I remember setting some up so a lady in my church could make designs for the clergy's robes.

I don't remember the program, but the controls are almost identical to what you would find in any modern manufacturing plant.

My last gf wanted to go into business of making lingerie with unique patterns (flames, etc - mostly tacky) like the ones generated from CNC embroidery. I'm not sure if she's still doing that or not. The price points for the machinery is falling so getting one is more affordable every day.

In addition, there are programs you can d/l to make it simpler (espree comes to mind).

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Hey Magna, out of curiousity what does pipe design consist of? Do you deal with efficiency (movement of matter), durability, or aesthetics? I saw the pic you posted of your desk - obviously you have some skills. Crazy.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
ForeverSublime said:
Hey Magna, out of curiousity what does pipe design consist of? Do you deal with efficiency (movement of matter), durability, or aesthetics? I saw the pic you posted of your desk - obviously you have some skills. Crazy.

I work with threading standards & tolerances, frictional cooeficients (loss due to the roughness of the inside) and the hydraulic calculations etc.

I design fire protection systems (aka sprinkler systems for office buildings, warehouses, mining trucks and just some weird things you/I never thought about).

beatifik

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
ForeverSublime said:

i use a pfaff 2056 for my sewing machine and a pfaff coverstyle for my serger. i also have a juki industrial machine in storage. i use a brother knitting machine and ribber. my whole setup including furniture and stuff cost me about $4500.

those embroidery machines are pretty rad, but also really expensive. they retail right around $7000(some of them are topping $10000 :eek: ) but can be bought for about $3500-4000 for a used or demo unit. then, you have to buy the software for like $2000 in order to design your own embroidery designs. and, i'm under the assumption that the software is not something that could be found easily on a filesharing network...

it wasn't worth it to me to buy one. it's probably cheaper to outsource any minor embroidery i might need, which probably won't be a lot.

if you're looking for sewing machine reviews, check out http://sewing.patternreview.com/. user reviews for most every machine on the market, and a pretty good message board too. mostly older ladies, but they're very helpful.

if i could, i would buy a gang of industrial machines, but sadly don't have the space to do so. they just feel much nicer than the home machines.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
The sewing classes on that site look awesome, and the rates can't be beat as far as I can tell (especially compared to going to a community college where I'm sure you wouldn't go into as much depth).

http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/sewingclasses/index.pl#134

Ever try an online course? I think I'm going to try the "Begin to sew" class - after I pick up a machine.

Those forums are intimidating. :) So much knowledge.

beatifik

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
no, i've never taken an online course.

but, if you buy your machine from an authorized dealer, most of them will offer free introductory classes. it's usually great because they can show you exactly how to do stuff on your specific machine. you may be able to get a deal on a machine online or on ebay or something, but the local service and classes easily make up for the slightly higher price tag at the local dealer.

360heelflip

Kula's Candy
I'm going to start a skate company (boards) and want to do some clothing as well, anyone know where to get quality clothing made and at good prices? Shirts aren't a worry and I can do that myself, mainly for pants and shit like that.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
beatifik said:
no, i've never taken an online course.

but, if you buy your machine from an authorized dealer, most of them will offer free introductory classes. it's usually great because they can show you exactly how to do stuff on your specific machine. you may be able to get a deal on a machine online or on ebay or something, but the local service and classes easily make up for the slightly higher price tag at the local dealer.

I found an authorized dealer about 3 miles away from me, and a sewing club about 15 miles away... I think they do a lot of by-hand work, but that will still be beneficial I'm sure.

The other day on ebay.com's home page there was a big picture of a pfaff 2046. /nerd.

I have a bit of reading to do before I choose a machine. It would seem so easy to choose a 2056 because it can obviously be relied on, and from what I seen the resale is respectable as well. I've really got to watch my money, though, as I have an expensive trip to LA/San Jose coming up in March.