which version of dodonpachi?

Skat72

Kabuki Klasher
I was curious as to which version of dodonpachi is best, the Saturn or the PS1? Also, how was Dodonpachi Daioujou for PS2? Thanks for any help!

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Take a look at this thread. Consensus is that the PS1 port is the better one.

And Daioujou for PS2 is one of the best ports on the system. Awesome game.

Skat72

Kabuki Klasher
Thank you for the link! I am def. going with the Saturn version for the two player aspect (forcing you to use the same ship in two player is Bullshit and IMO takes away the two player strategy that exists in the game that my friends and I enjoy about certain shmups).

And Daioujou for PS2 is one of the best ports on the system. Awesome game.

How does Daioujou play? Is it a lot like dodonpachi? I have been seeing the game around for awhile and the price is still pretty good for it.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
Thank you for the link! I am def. going with the Saturn version for the two player aspect (forcing you to use the same ship in two player is Bullshit and IMO takes away the two player strategy that exists in the game that my friends and I enjoy about certain shmups).

How does Daioujou play? Is it a lot like dodonpachi? I have been seeing the game around for awhile and the price is still pretty good for it.

shmups are not meant to be played with 2 people and the PSX version of DDP is at least 1 billion times better than the saturn version.

DOJ plays like a really fancy ddp with hyper combos and the ps2 has a wonderful port.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,

All the PS2 Cave ports hold their value pretty strong because it's the only way to play them if you don't own the PCBs. Daioujou has a similar scoring mechanic as Dodonpachi: emphasis on chaining whole stages. As BigTinz said, it's just fancier and I'd say harder. Plus it's a beautiful game to look at, especially when hooked up to an XRGB.

Skat72

Kabuki Klasher
I watched some video's of Daioujou and the game looks amazing. I never bothered checking Daioujou out due to a review I read that said the game felt soulless and was considered weak by Cave standards. Upon watching some video's, the game looks insane and I am picking it up asap.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
I never bothered checking Daioujou out due to a review I read that said the game felt soulless and was considered weak by Cave
standards.

:spock:

Who the hell said that?

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
a review I read that said the game felt soulless and was considered weak by Cave standards.

Doj is my favorite Cave game. I'd sell all of my other Cave boards before selling doj.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member

I dunno, I have the PSX version and I think it is excellent, it plays great and looks absolutely beautiful. i dont really play it w/ 2 players so that aspect of the port never bothered me. however, the psx version would cost you probably twice as much as the saturn version....so that is one more factor to consider....

Skat72

Kabuki Klasher
I don't remember who, but some random guy back when Daioujou came out said that and it was one of the only reviews I could find. I figured it was another cash in by making a new game in an old series with shiny graphics. This caused me to steer clear of it and I am regretting it now. Luckily the game is still available at the normal price unlike one game I sat and waited on (border down).

Now, I haven't played dodonpachi in years, should I bother picking up the saturn version and holding off on Daioujou, or should I grab Daioujou first and hold of on dodonpachi? I really only have enough cash for one of the two right now.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
should I bother picking up the saturn version and holding off on Daioujou, or should I grab Daioujou first and hold of on dodonpachi? I really only have enough cash for one of the two right now.

DOJ all the way.

Joe T.

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
DOJ will kick your balls in unmercifully. This will occur again and again until you seek out easier games to make yourself feel better.

TWE

Zero's Secretary
DDP PSX is the way to go. DDP: DOJ for PS2 is another great game. Buy both.

hermosaguy

Geese's Thug
Make DDP:DOJ a priority! Usually there is always someone looking to unload their copy on the forums.