Which conversions are obvious and which are not?

BlackFlag

Formerly Lamuna
Hello! I'm a new member, so I hope this is an appropriate forum to ask.

I've been looking at AES on ebay, man how they hiked in price so much over the years!

There also seems to be a variety of conversions for expensive games, such as Metal Slug, Blazing Star, etc.

Most conversions' art works are a bit differnet from the original ones, so it's quite easy to point out that they are non-authentic. However, there also seems to be the fakes that look almost like the real one.

So which one should I watch out for? I can't afford Metal Slug, but that seems to be the main one converted. Thanks in advance!

Rori

Crazed MVS Addict
If it's worth $500+, it's worth looking at those boards to make sure they're legit. Check out the Boot or No Boot section of the forum to get an idea.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
If it's an MVS only release, it's a conversion.

Or if it doesn't include a manual, that's usually a red flag.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Wires and shit... maybe even some burn marks on the pcb. Ask for board pics.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
some sellers are honest and say that they are conversions from what I've seen. The ones from Europe are such high quality, they look like the real thing! but like what beef jerky said, later released games with no manuals can sometimes mean conversions. also if you see the price tag really low! I've been looking into conversions to play pricy titles on my aes without having to pay a fortune

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
All the suggestions so far are good, but there exist near perfect bootlegs. Something all bootlegs have in common is hand soldered PCBs, that is pretty easy to tell apart from authentic. Only problem is, you can only check PCBs if the seller is trustworthy or yourself after buying it.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
no return: conversion

1GnVW7e.gif

guess I sold only conversions then over the years