What's the deal with 330 XXX serial AES consoles?

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
From my experience, and this seems to be widely accepted, the last of the line AES consoles officially produced by SNK all had serial numbers begining 330 XXX.

Was this a deliberate move by SNK? The "330" connection is an obvious one to make.

And the reason I ask the question as to whether SNK held back 330 XXX serials until last is that I've not yet seen an AES set that comes with the new style CD stick (on the box) that has a serial lower than 330 XXX, but I have seen AES boxes with serials higher than 330 XXX that have the old style stick on them (old packaging).

It'd be interesting to know the serial of the last ever AES to roll off the production line... but I suppose that is lost to the passage of time.

Anyway, anyone have any thoughts are this thrilling conundrum that's rattling round in the excess space of my mind?

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I can't recall seeing anything in the 300-329 range

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I wouldn't be surprised if the serials are actually non-sequential for all SNK consoles.

I've seen Neo-Geo CD front loaders with 26 XXX serial numbers... there were only supposed to be 25,000 produced.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Well, there was the prototype 4-1 board revision, so there could have been plans to make more.