What would be the rough cost for a Neo-Geo AES system, with 2 controllers, and HDTV compat

arcadedays

n00b
What is a range of how much I should expect to pay? I was total around $300 for the system and $300 for the HD compat part. I was suggested to maybe get a nice CRT instead. I havent thought about that before because I like my 60" TV but if I find a nice CRT, I guess it may save money, and then all my retro consoles would look nice on it, as my Atari 2600 and NES right now look a bit choppy on the HDTV. What do you suggest I do?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
$300 is a little high, but not unreasonable if it's in decent shape and come with two old style sticks (sticks by themselves are getting expensive these days.) What specifically is the "HD compat part?" Upscaling devices range in price anywhere from $30 to $500, and the quality greatly varies as well. The gold standard for HDTV use for the most part is a XRGB Mini Framemeister, and if you are being offered one for $300 it's a great deal. If it's some chinese shit scaler, it would not be.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
What would be the rough cost for a Neo-Geo AES system, with 2 controllers, an...

IMO, it all depends. By default, the NeoGeo is compatible with most hdtvs out there, using composite video. It looks ugly? Yes. It works fine? Yes. You can get it modded with component video which looks nicer on the hdtv but nothing beats the rgb of a pvm monitor. Also, for rgb you do not need to mod the neo (in case you didn't know). For the price, I think $300 can bring you a nice neo with 2 sticks and some common low-price games.

Regards.

arcadedays

n00b
Does anyone have youtubage or screenshots of what it would look like on a HDTV? If it doesnt look too bad, I wont really care to get the frameister or other upgrades to make it look better. I was told its really bad and there is lag? IF this is true, the cheapest way to get it to tolerable level is the 300 bucks frameister or?

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Does anyone have youtubage or screenshots of what it would look like on a HDTV? If it doesnt look too bad, I wont really care to get the frameister or other upgrades to make it look better. I was told its really bad and there is lag? IF this is true, the cheapest way to get it to tolerable level is the 300 bucks frameister or?

I'm pretty sure theres some pics in here: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?196015-The-Neo-Geo-s-Compatibility-with-Your-TV
try peoples collection threads too?: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?101-Collection-Gallery

is svideo deemed acceptable? does your set have an S-in? if you read not just look at those ? I think you'll learn more and be able to make more opinion? its already out there right(information)?

hope this is helpful...to both parties?

Last edited:

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
$300 is a little high, but not unreasonable if it's in decent shape and come with two old style sticks (sticks by themselves are getting expensive these days.) What specifically is the "HD compat part?" Upscaling devices range in price anywhere from $30 to $500, and the quality greatly varies as well. The gold standard for HDTV use for the most part is a XRGB Mini Framemeister, and if you are being offered one for $300 it's a great deal. If it's some chinese shit scaler, it would not be.

I can attest to the shit end, here. I got a 30$ HDMI scaler off Amazon. Strictly because my HDTV doesn't actually have any composite or Svid ports, leaving my retro consoles SOL if my CRT goes. Now, strictly speaking, it DOES work. It does allow me to connect my retro consoles to my HDTV with a minimum of effort. It looks -slightly- cleaner than a when it does hooked up to an HDTV that does have a composite port but definitely nowhere near component, and the colours look washed out, compared to what they should be. It does the job, but not nearly as well as a better product would. I keep it as an emergency box if my CRT dies suddenly, since I don't have XRGB coin sitting around right now.

KalessinDB

Mr. Big's Thug
I've went the "Mod for Component" route. Probably because I started doing it long before the Framemeister was around. Had that been an option at the time, I would have likely bought that and been done with it, but now I kinda like having all my retro systems using the same standardized cables.