What do you think of Anthony Fantano?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I tend to enjoy his reviews for the way he expresses his ideas. But I'm diametrically opposite him most times with regards to his likes and dislikes. It's funny to the point that a lot of the time I know what parts of a given album I will enjoy based on how much he dislikes said parts. Quite crazy. He dislikes Zeal & Ardor's latest album, meaning I would probably enjoy it. And I do. He speaks of Alt-J's new album starting strong and falling apart towards the end, and the opposite is true for me. I think his pretentiousness leads him to over rationalize. All it is in the end is one man's likes and dislikes. Bit he seems driven to make it seem like it is something more.
Of course sometimes I agree completely with what he sais. Lingua Ignota's last album is a 10. I just think he over does it. And yet the format of the program is pretty great.
I feel he has questionable taste which he disguises behind eloquent wording and posturing.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Are those even real band names? Or are they completely made up?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
He's just a guy on the internet. His opinions are of no additional value than anyone else around here.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
He's just a guy on the internet. His opinions are of no additional value than anyone else around here.
He would be a good member with shit taste (actually he has great taste in what he likes, just very bad in some of what he doesn't)

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I see the point, but how is this different to film critics?

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I see the point, but how is this different to film critics?

Good film critics will speak to the cinematography. The technology. The pacing.
As opposed to rattling on with the same adjectives and platitudes over and over.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Good film critics will speak to the cinematography. The technology. The pacing.
As opposed to rattling on with the same adjectives and platitudes over and over.
I don't quite agree. You can well discern between a youtube music (or whatever) critic who's got it sussed and one that doesn't. Even those that don't know
music theory and other intricacies can be brilliant reviewing by virtue of other parametres. I would say this is the same with film critics, even amongst the most respected and traditional. Talent is talent. I think Fantano is an excellent reviewer, could definetly be considered a respectable journalist. I'm stoned and may not have made a lot of sense. That is all

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Well this showed up in my YT suggestions today for some reason...
I had never heard of this guy before this thread and after about 5 minutes of the video, the part where they mention his close ties to 4chan and an bit about his humor style I had seen all I needed to.

Last edited: