What are your personal top 10 favorite Horror movies of all time?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
When I was younger a horror flic couldn't be gory enough, now I just can't watch the really bloody stuff anymore, except of course for comedy splatter like Brain Dead or similar movies.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
When I was younger a horror flic couldn't be gory enough, now I just can't watch the really bloody stuff anymore, except of course for comedy splatter like Brain Dead or similar movies.

Blood I don't mind but gore I can't stand. American Psycho had tons of blood but had no gore. I never understood the point of gore. It doesn't scare me. All it does is stop me from eating a popper meal for a couple of weeks.

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
I've been into horror for so long, and have watched just about everything (legal anyways). I've pretty much become desensitized to it all. I can literally have a steak dinner while watching something like a Guinea Pig film. In all reality, with me, nothing is ever too bloody or gory, so long as it's fake. However I tried watching Traces of Death once and that was just awful. I felt sick to my stomach, and had an enormous amount of guilt for watching it in the first place, because everything in that series is real death footage. I just couldnt live with myself having those tapes in the house, so I took a hammer and scissors to them and dumped them in the trash compactor where that garbage belongs. Anybody that finds that shit entertaining or funny needs their head examined.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Ah, the mondo stuff... as a youngster in the 80s, I, like many others over here, tried to get a copy of Faces of Death, it was censored in many countries and sale or rental was prohibited, even to adults. In Germany, some scenes had been taken out from the VHS version but later on a DVD release appeared with all the scenes interact. It is is a weird mixture of real and fictive stuff, you know, executions, extreme violence, horrible accidents, suicides, etc.

I could watch stuff like that and even though I could not say that I enjoyed it (I think people who actually enjoy this kinda shit should see a doctor), I did not have a problem with it. Nowadays watching a mondo movie would probably turn my stomach upside down.

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
Ah, the mondo stuff... as a youngster in the 80s, I, like many others over here, tried to get a copy of Faces of Death, it was censored in many countries and sale or rental was prohibited, even to adults. In Germany, some scenes had been taken out from the VHS version but later on a DVD release appeared with all the scenes interact. It is is a weird mixture of real and fictive stuff, you know, executions, extreme violence, horrible accidents, suicides, etc.

I could watch stuff like that and even though I could not say that I enjoyed it (I think people who actually enjoy this kinda shit should see a doctor), I did not have a problem with it. Nowadays watching a mondo movie would probably turn my stomach upside down.

Faces Of Death was mostly tolerable, because about 85-90% of what was shown was staged. I still have my original vhs of Faces Of Death 2 I bought from my mom and pop video store when they were closing down.16122622639236179834908128880656.jpg

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I think the Euro cover looked different, but hey, nice piece, stuff like that must be quite sought-after by collectors.

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
I think the Euro cover looked different, but hey, nice piece, stuff like that must be quite sought-after by collectors.

I collect alot of VHS, 1. Because it's really inexpensive media to acquire most of the time. 2. It reminds me of the awesome days of Video Stores and VHS boxes always had the best artwork and then most importantly 3. Alot of movies, including a ton of obscure horror films still have yet to make it to dvd or blu ray, and if it isnt on either of those two formats, you can forget about streaming it.

This U.S. copy of Faces Of Death 2 always had my favorite artwork out of any of the films in that series.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
In re of the gory movies topic, I can still watch mild gory stuff like Argento's Terza Madre. If the (few) gory scenes are part of a decent story development it's okay for me. Perhaps it also helps that I'm a huge fan of Dario Argento.

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
In re of the gory movies topic, I can still watch mild gory stuff like Argento's Terza Madre. If the (few) gory scenes are part of a decent story development it's okay for me. Perhaps it also helps that I'm a huge fan of Dario Argento.

Don't think I've heard of Terza Madre......would that happen to be Mother Of Tears here in the U.S.?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Don't think I've heard of Terza Madre......would that happen to be Mother Of Tears here in the U.S.?

Yeah, Mother of Tears, it's the third part of Argento's mother trilogy with Suspiria, Inferno and Mother of Tears.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Perhaps it also helps that I'm a huge fan of Dario Argento.
I was a fan for a while when I first discovered his '70s movies like Deep Red and Susperia. The problem was he kept making movies. Giallo and Dracula 3D were the final straws, and I could no longer consider myself a fan. I still like the old movies, but his career taken overall contains too much absolute garbage.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I was a fan for a while when I first discovered his '70s movies like Deep Red and Susperia. The problem was he kept making movies. Giallo and Dracula 3D were the final straws, and I could no longer consider myself a fan. I still like the old movies, but his career taken overall contains too much absolute garbage.

Yeah, some of the later stuff was crap, but man... Suspiria! I just cannot be grumpy about a guy who made a movie like that, with a soundtrack like that.

He was a man of the 70s and 80s, his style was rated as progressive back then but his efforts to modernize it and bring it into the 21st century were not very successful. He also had difficulties funding his movies, more often than not the scripts had to be rewritten because some special fx scenes could not be afforded. That's why the later movies sometimes look more like a patchwork of scenes and ideas than a continuous plot.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yeah, some of the later stuff was crap, but man... Suspiria! I just cannot be grumpy about a guy who made a movie like that, with a soundtrack like that.

He was a man of the 70s and 80s, his style was rated as progressive back then but his efforts to modernize it and bring it into the 21st century were not very successful. He also had difficulties funding his movies, more often than not the scripts had to be rewritten because some special fx scenes could not be afforded. That's why the later movies sometimes look more like a patchwork of scenes and ideas than a continuous plot.
Deep Red was my favorite. But Dracula! I had to turn that off about 30 minutes in, it was so embarrassingly amateurish. It's not an exaggeration to say I've seen better directing, production values, and effects in student films.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I remember watching one with is daughter in it that Argento directed and it was just terrible on every level and super creepy because he was really trying to sell her sex appeal.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I actually like most of Alexandre Aja's movies but High Tension sucks shit because of that stupid twist. "BuT uNrELIAbLe nArRaToR!!" Go fuck yourself. You have to establish and pay off an unreliable narrator. Never 180'd on a movie faster... strong feelings about that one.
High Tension is the worst of the French Nouveau, IMO. It's just so annoying when a movie spends 90 minutes being pretty interesting then invalidates everything it just did via a bad twist ending.

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
Nah, Martyrs is worse imo.

Oh hell no. That being said, Inside is probably the most fucked up French horror flick I've ever seen. Soooooo disturbing, gory as all hell, great cinematography, awesome score and pretty decent acting. You just can't go wrong. I wanted to throw up the minute I heard someone wanted to make a dumbed down American version. Some movies should be illegal to remake. You cant improve on films that close to flawless.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Can anyone reccomend anything really legitimately scary?

What you find frightening is subjective. Maybe if you could list a couple things you've seen in the past that you thought were scary, we'd have a place to start from.

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
True. Ill think about it today.

Yeah, that would definitely help figure out what triggers the scare factor in you. It's different for everybody. But for avid horror fans, it's easily identifiable once the details of what disturbs you are.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Nah, Martyrs is worse imo.

OMG, so I'm not the only one that feels this way about MARTYRS.

MARTYRS to me is THE MOST overrated fucking horror film out there. The kind of film that someone pulls out of their ass to demonstrate street cred but so much of the film is a fucking wank fest that loves to hear itself talk. Fuck that film...