Wanted MVS to AES adapter

promking

Armored Scrum Object
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picking up a 1slot machine.
I don't own any MVS carts :(
I have a NeoSD AES I want to put in the cabinet.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Short answer is you can't! I will let someone smarter than me explain why:

The functional difference between an aes and mvs is that the graphics serializer (zmc2) is located on the cartridge on the aes and on the motherboard for the mvs. The reason why mvs to aes converters work so conveniently is that the graphics chip receiving data is expecting it in serial form. The mvs cart is outputting data in parallel form and a serializer is inserted into on the converter to package the data on the fly.

In order to get to an aes to mvs converter, you need to perform this in reverse. It's more difficult to do because less bits of information is available per clock pulse in serial form than when it is in parallel form. In order to recover the data in parallel form which the mvs is expecting, you need to clock the circuit at least 4 times faster than the processor is requesting it so that isn't any delay in the transmission.

To make an analogy, the graphics chip (Neo-B1) expects data as a crumpled paper ball. The zmc2 takes flat sheets of paper (parallel graphics data) and crumples it into a ball (serial graphics data). The aes cart outputs it's data in ball form while the mvs mother board expects flat sheets of paper. In order to get the data in the right form, the circuitry will need to uncrumple the ball and flatten out the data into a smooth sheet of paper all within the same amount of time the processor gives in normal circumstances.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
@HeavyMachineGoob probably has the best solution here. If your board has a Unibios installed, Pick'n Mix is very nice on MVS.

I own a NeoSD Pro for both AES and MVS. Worth it for a big Neo Geo goob like me, but I understand why that wouldn't be a solution for everyone.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
111   0   0
Is there a particular vendor, one that's better than another? Thank you
Pretty much just go by store rating and the item price, absolute lowest can be suspicious. You go with what looks like middle of the road.

Time Harvest sells one of the older 161 yellow models, I'd say thats a safe bet. https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKPAV7G

You could get a newer blue cart, newer versions typically have the usual community fixes applied, but there's been reports that the absolute newest 161 has nude Mai from King of Gladiator in some or all of the clean KOF ROMs on the cart, so keep that in mind. Maybe a bug, or maybe it's a feature for you.

And as Neo Alec said, get a UniBIOS 4.0, hold select when powering up the MVS, you'll get access to Pick n Mix which greatly enhances the 161-in-1 experience.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
340   0   0
You could offer to trade your neosd for an MVS version, or perhaps sell and rebuy. Good luck!

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
You know, this is why MVS carts are superior. They work in both systems with a $60 furrtek adapter. If you collect MVS you have the option to add a cab any time, which I finally did.

Since it's technically possible in theory, it would be great if someone could design an AES to MVS converter some day. At this point, that would probably create quite a stir in the scene from pent up demand.

You could offer to trade your neosd for an MVS version, or perhaps sell and rebuy. Good luck!
My thought as well, but I'm guessing he still wants to be able to use the AES too. That's why I have both. Alternatively, I suppose you could replace the AES with a CMVS and just have the MVS NeoSD.