Vinyl Collectards VS Video Game Collectards

mhell06

n00b
Good flipping material though, sold my Okami boxset for over 500€
Fuck me. I have brought some data disc releases, but I skipped that one because I didn't care much for it and hadn't played the game. Maybe I should get into the flipping business. Got a Red Dead 1 vinyl and the Final Fantasy boxset. hmm..

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
This collecting records and not playing them is definitely a generation or two below us. That’s why a lot of new vinyl these days is marketed in different colours and picture disks. These collecting mutants buy all the different variations. The record companies know this and fleece them.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
I don't understand all those reprint albums that they sell for 25/30 euro even at supermarkets these days. I just used to by vinyl bcause it was cheap and easy way to listen and discover music.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The constant reprints are appealing because they are new. A lot of people don't want old worn looking records, even if they are cheaper and often times sound better. There's also the factor of not knowing which pressing to buy so they just go get the latest one. Unfortunately most "remastered" represses of popular stuff are just louder, the same as the remastered CD craze in the 90s.

Most people can't be bothered to do the research.

There are nice remasters and I'm always glad when something gets a good repress that was previously really rare or ridiculously priced. Lots of Hip-Hop stuff in the 90s and early 2000s were printed in insanely small quantities because no-one was buying vinyl then except DJs and a lot of those were never properly mastered in the first place. Also a lot of Soul, Funk and jazz records became hard to find because DJs and producers snatched them all up for sampling.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
So, with video I see things being released with retro covers to look like they are old and worn with stickers like ex-rentals would have, I expect it is just a matter of time before we get new vinyl with covers to look old and worn. That will be great because record stores will have old worn original releases right next to new worn looking releases of the same albums.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
So, with video I see things being released with retro covers to look like they are old and worn with stickers like ex-rentals would have, I expect it is just a matter of time before we get new vinyl with covers to look old and worn. That will be great because record stores will have old worn original releases right next to new worn looking releases of the same albums.
They started doing this regularly with guitars in like 2010 or so and call it “relic’ing”. It’s died down a lot now but it was frustrating because a lot of uglified models were based on vintage specs but you couldn’t get those specs on an off the shelf looking guitar.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
There are nice remasters and I'm always glad when something gets a good repress that was previously really rare or ridiculously priced. Lots of Hip-Hop stuff in the 90s and early 2000s were printed in insanely small quantities because no-one was buying vinyl then except DJs and a lot of those were never properly mastered in the first place. Also a lot of Soul, Funk and jazz records became hard to find because DJs and producers snatched them all up for sampling.
Yep. If it's 90's I will always go for a reissue. 90's vinyl is very expensive for what usually isn't a good mastering or pressing job. 60's I generally go for a reissue too because the record players back then were horrible and caused a lot of groove damage. The sweet spot is 70's and 80's records - Better recording process, better playback equipment, reissues of 60's albums that sound just as good but are still analogue sourced.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I listen to mine, have a lot of expensive first pressings too
Your collection is legendary.

I was going gung ho crazy on it but got tired of bullshit limited edition aqua blue sparkle vinyl sold only at 3 am on Saturday.

I’m format agnostic and just like music first and foremost. I play vinyl when it makes sense but sometimes it’s just easier to yell at google to play something for me.

I mean it’s all about the music, right?

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
PS: 90% of vinyl releases are dubs of red book audio.
They don't even use the original masters for these releases?
I don't really buy new vinyl. I think the last album I bought wa Human after all by Daft Punk or something from MGMT. But I'm so annoyed that these albums come on 4 sides. Do they expect me to really stand 3 times during the time I'm listening to an album?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
The only thing I collect are Transformers (and Im sure ive said it several times here sorry to be a repeatin repeater) but I collect the ones that strike my fancy. I dont go for a complete G1 collection with all of the extra shit. And stuff like Beast Wars, that can go in the trash. Loved the show. The toys are ass. Hell I can go to my walmart right now and I KNOW I'll find several of the rereleases of Beast Wars Optimus Primal and T-Rex Megatron just sitting there. No body wants that shit lol.

I have several bots right now that aren't open and that bugs the shit out of me. Im just out of shelf space. Otherwise they'd be open and displayed. I can't stand people who will buy a game/record/toy/shoes (wtf seriously) and never open them.

"Collecting" in that sense is just dumb.

fake

15 Year Member
They don't even use the original masters for these releases?
I don't really buy new vinyl. I think the last album I bought wa Human after all by Daft Punk or something from MGMT. But I'm so annoyed that these albums come on 4 sides. Do they expect me to really stand 3 times during the time I'm listening to an album?
Labels are cheap and they skimp on archiving and storage. Masters get lost or destroyed more often than you might think.

fake

15 Year Member
I’m pretty sure that’s a large exaggeration. It’s probably not true of the last 50 records I bought.
Unless it’s been specifically remastered it’s probably CD audio.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Unless it’s been specifically remastered it’s probably CD audio.
Lots and lots of shit is specifically remastered for LP though and says so on the sticker or inside. It’s essentially required for anything like a quality product. Maybe in some era, sure, but now nobody even records at redbook. Most shit has been 24 bit for like 20 years now and even at home people can record 192khz cheap. Lots of new shit now isn’t even released at redbook quality in any way. If it only hit LP and Tidal it was never redbook.

fake

15 Year Member
Lots and lots of shit is specifically remastered for LP though and says so on the sticker or inside. It’s essentially required for anything like a quality product. Maybe in some era, sure, but now nobody even records at redbook. Most shit has been 24 bit for like 20 years now and even at home people can record 192khz cheap. Lots of new shit now isn’t even released at redbook quality in any way. If it only hit LP and Tidal it was never redbook.
A lot of it isn’t. And sure, you can record at 24-bit no problem. But what do you think happens when you master for CD, which is what labels actually archive and store and put in stores? It gets bumped down to 16. It’s like how they shoot movies in 4K and edit at 2K. The difference is that movies are upscaled back to 4K with AI for their release.

PS: Most album covers are just upscaled and Photoshopped scans of existing copies.

PPS: 90% of people can’t tell the difference between redbook and remastered 180gram vinyl.