Video games as historical curiosity...

BoogerBall

n00b
Hey Everyone,

I was just thinking about this subject the other day and was just curious to ask you guys here:

With video games as a medium having reached about a half a century in age, what will be remembered (if anything is remembered at all) in the far future about video gaming in general?

What games and/or consoles in particular do you think may be significant enough to remember or be written about 50-100 years from now?

Perhaps maybe not individual video games, but maybe certain companies/studios/individuals, business models, or certain ideas or inventions brought into being by video gaming. Cultural impact? Artistic significance?

Will it all just be forgotten or dismissed?

I guess I am basically asking what of any significance has the world of video gaming produced?

Or maybe put another way, if you had to write a 5 paragraph essay on the medium of video games, what would you say? How would you summarize it? Or if a journalist in the year 2090 writes an article about video gaming from its birth to around today, what would it say? What would be notable about the past 40-50 years?

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
We are not going to do your homework for you.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
They say as formats of information are superseded, over the years and undoubtedly centuries to follow, we will lose information. Take for example music cylinders, do you have any way of playing that today? perhaps you'd have never even heard of it before, maybe the song was never recorded on a newer medium?

I rest my case now fuck off.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Pippin. Definitely the Pippin. PM Neoturfmasta, he is our resident Pippin expert.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
History is a human construct. In 100 years time it will have attained a degree of resignification unbeknownst to us. The existence of internet has changed the game forever. Past present and future are no longer clear cut territories.

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple
what will be remembered (if anything is remembered at all) in the far future about video gaming in general?

mario

What games and/or consoles in particular do you think may be significant enough to remember or be written about 50-100 years from now?

nintendo

Cultural impact? Artistic significance?

yes

ill it all just be forgotten or dismissed?

everybody would miss videogames...for generations

I am basically asking what of any significance has the world of video gaming produced?

everything the world of video gaming produces is significant

How would you summarize it?

so awesome

What would be notable about the past 40-50 years?

it was so awesome

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Not releasing a proper videogame adaptation of Deliverance is and will always be the industry's biggest regret.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
mario

nintendo

yes

everybody would miss videogames...for generations

everything the world of video gaming produces is significant

so awesome

it was so awesome

Reportcard.jpg

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
That's funny coming from a German, I thought there was a solution for this?

This isn't the first you talk or hint about sending people to the chambers, what is wrong with you?

No need to waste those poor kids when there's medical experimentation to be done.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
This isn't the first you talk or hint about sending people to the chambers, what is wrong with you?

No need to waste those poor kids when there's medical experimentation to be done.

:lolz:

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,

Diesel tests can satisfy both of you two.