Vert. shmups on a CRT

boss0033

Kula's Candy
what are some great vert. shmups that still play vert. on a crt without rotating the tv? I have a 36 inch sony crt which I run a SG from. I want to get some vert. shmups. Am I screwed here? From some of the research I've done, it appears that the stv games and cpsII games will play vert. without any rotation. Is this correct?

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Well yes and no. Some CPSII and STV game will play on a horizontal monitor and scroll vertically(Giga Wing, Mars Matrix, 1944, Soukyugurentai...) but a true vertical shooter requires a vertical monitor and scrolls vertically(19XX, Dimahoo, Shienruy...).

You could always do what I do and have two CRTs next to each other, one horizontal and one vertical hooked into a system selector but in revers, so instead of selecting system you select displays. I've got my supergun hooked into two TVs via a system selector and all I need to do is hit a button to switch from hori to vert.

SSS

neo retired
go on craigslist and get yourself a smaller one you can rotate for cheap.

Skat72

Kabuki Klasher
Setting up a TV for TATE is the way to go, especially since CRT's are pretty cheap right now. Check a thrift store for one. Now I could be wrong about this one, but I believe you need to be careful with using a single TV for Both Hori and tate. I heard before switching you need to have the TV off for a little bit before rotating and turning back on? Can anyone who does this confirm? I have a small CRT dedicated for tate and am waiting till I get a new lcd tv for my current 32 inch CRT to become a dedicated tate.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
I heard before switching you need to have the TV off for a little bit before rotating and turning back on? Can anyone who does this confirm?

Yeah, after rotating a TV it needs to sit for a little while before being turned on. Generally the larger the set the more time it needs.

Skat72

Kabuki Klasher
Thanks, that's exactly what I have done in the past. I am completely paranoid about ruining my CRT tv. Can't wait to get an lcd TV so I can just leave my CRT Tated.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Yeah I'd just get a 2nd crt like everyone else said for the v. games. I had a 27" RCA that I used to play my S.G. on and I rotated it alot. It lasted about 10 yrs. of doing this before it finally shot its load.