US AES system outer box variants

Have searched the forum but can't find anything on this.

Did the US AES only come in the 'Gold System' variant? Or was there also a standard version, with the same outer box that Europe got?

And, if there was a standard version, were there any distinguishing features at all between the US and EU box? Finding it super difficult to find concrete info on this stuff.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Gold system said it on the box

3311998982ff6753d70cb345c33dc61b.jpg

Silver doesn't

d18bd0dc02f4f0fb86f2ac6585b19981.jpg

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I always liked how the Neo Geo AES box is basically just a Neo-Geo

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Sega Megadrive very first (Japanese) box was a true beauty:

megadrive-jpn.jpg

The handle on top just makes it look a bit more like some high-end electronic console rather than a game machine. This was in '88, and I would say SNK kind of took some inspiration from that very stylish simplicity. After all, the target audience was the very same: the arcade freaks. :-)

BTW, the 'Gold System' it's nothing more than a cheap 'official' repackaging made by SNK-USA.

Thanks guys!

Does anyone know whether SNK-USA sold both the Gold and "Silver" versions at the same time in the US (or was one sold later than the other?).

Also, are there any differences in packaging between the European Neo and the US "silver" version?

As far as I can tell, there are no differences, but it'd be good to know for sure.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Thanks guys!

Does anyone know whether SNK-USA sold both the Gold and "Silver" versions at the same time in the US (or was one sold later than the other?).

Also, are there any differences in packaging between the European Neo and the US "silver" version?

As far as I can tell, there are no differences, but it'd be good to know for sure.

I know for a fact both were sold. My gold system was bought from Japan Video Games and Babbage's sold both the Gold and the Silver system at the same time.

Gold system retailed for 699
Silver system retailer for 499

Last edited:

benjiedude

Quiz Detective
:drool::buttrock:When the Neo Geo came out, I was a boy but oh man...even the box made me drool. After over 25 years of waiting...I will own this sexy piece of gaming history and it's epic box.