US AES bad scart lead connection

hi there!

I recently bought an early model US AES. system is beautiful and weighty, but there's a slight annoying issue with the scart cable in that it needs to be pulled to one side gently on power up in order to produce a picture.

Initial set up is the only time it needs to be lightly moved to the side for the pins to get proper contact -- thereafter it runs fine. But it's every time I switch the thing off and on again.

It's not a massive issue but, if there's a simple fix that doesn't require me to send it off to an expert/ solder anything, that'd be much appreciated.

Has anyone encountered this issue before?

bwi

20 Year Member
I would imagine you either have a break in the end of your cable or a dry solder joint on your AV socket that needs resoldering.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I've encountered it once, I had to replace the socket itself. But like mentioned, check for dry/broken solder joints under the socket or in the cable first.

thanks for the replies! i've ordered a new RGB cable as that's the easiest to check first. will go from there...

ack, have just noticed that the AES picture is quite dim compared to my other consoles. By comparison, here's LB2 on the AES vs. on Dreamcast. Is this likely to be the same/ a related issue? IMG_4864.JPGIMG_4865.JPG

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You're not using a Genesis scart cable are you?

heh -- no it's an AES scart (the one with the headphone jack attachment for stereo sound). Fingers crossed it's the cable causing these problems, although my sense is that it's something in the hardware.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Just checking, a Genesis model 1 cable isn't quite right for a Neo, but it's close enough that you can jam it in there and it will work, but it will be too dark.

One thing that Xian has mentioned before is that SNK often put the wrong resistor and cap values on the RGB lines of the systems, particularly on the earlier models. This can be fixed by replacing them with the correct values. Or you could just turn the contrast and brightness up on the monitor a tad. IIRC I've got a later model home system, but my CDZ and CMVS are a tad brighter.

thanks so much, man. that's super helpful. changing resistor and cap values is a little beyond my abilities I think, but if it turns out the cable's not the issue, I can ask whoever I send it to for re-soldering to look at that for me, so much appreciated.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
As much as gamers put a premium on the Neo Geo, SNK was actually pretty bad at making the systems.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
That's normal brightness for a 1st gen AES. You can either do an RGB bypass or alter the voltage divider. Both way would require someone to do it if you aren't the modding type.

Gotcha. Anyone in the UK that you can recommend who does good modding work (either shops or individuals)? I saw consolepassion.co.uk does some AES modding work. Anyone have any experience working with them?

ah shit -- new cable turned up but it doesn't appear to fit my machine. The pins have the same spacing, but are a bit thicker. Have searched around a bit but can't seem to find any info on different AV cable types. Do I just need to bend the pins on the new cable a bit, or did I buy the entirely wring thing?

In the pic, the cable on the left is the one that fits my machine...

God, it's never straightforward with the Neo, is it?

IMG_4877.JPG

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
This is what GohanX mentioned earlier.
The one on the left is a DIN 8 pin U shape while the one the on the right is a C shape

ah, got it. thanks Vendest.

this information seems so hard to come by. Does anyone know why the U-shape connector on these earlier models produces a better picture than the C shape (if indeed it does?)

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The new one you got is for Genesis. It's not the right cable.

Xian mentioned you need to mod the system to make it brighter.

Ok, I think I finally figured out what has happened here. I reckon someone in the past modded the system with a megadrive/ genesis plug socket. God knows why but that's my theory. Here's a pic of the socket itself. Does that seem right?

IMG_4878.JPG

Last edited:

bwi

20 Year Member
ok just checked my aes and it is a C shape so yeah it does seem to be a megadrive/genesis socket on there.

If you need any repairs mutant caterpillar (google him for his site)repairs all kinds of stuff and i've heard good things about him.

Last edited:
yes! that's exactly who I sent it to -- heard good things too.

we spoke on the phone and he seems to think i'm probably right that someone switched the plug at some point in the past.

will let you know how it pans out! thanks for the help everyone.