Truxton II - FM Towns

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V7DwIAyUi4E

I did a video on Truxton II for the FM Towns, but I was curious who else on her had played the game? I can’t figure out if I am feeling the very long levels. They seem to go on forever.

Otherwise I’m into it, especially since it’s an exclusive to the Towns platform

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Anthony Bacon knocked this out of the park, ladies and gents

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I own the arcade PCB - it's one of my favorite Toaplan games, although it's certainly difficult as hell. I've never played the FMT version, but from watching OP's video, it looks like a decent port. There's a drop in graphics quality (no parallax background scrolling) and the expected playfield space crunch you get for cramming a vertical shmup onto a horizontal screen. Does the FMT version allow for tate display?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I own the arcade PCB - it's one of my favorite Toaplan games, although it's certainly difficult as hell. I've never played the FMT version, but from watching OP's video, it looks like a decent port. There's a drop in graphics quality (no parallax background scrolling) and the expected playfield space crunch you get for cramming a vertical shmup onto a horizontal screen. Does the FMT version allow for tate display?

No there is no Tate display mode. Straight horizontal. I don’t so much miss the parallax myself.

I do recommend in the video that if you want a physical copy, get the pcb, since it’s not much more && than the Towns version. I just got mine way cheap

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I've always liked Truxton but it's on the difficult side of things even for a shmup (my opinion, I'm sure someone here can beat it blindfolded using only his pinky).

I think I'll mameorz the 2nd one.

Also fuck the pc engine port of tatsujin, at least the genesis port gives you a chance.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I've always liked Truxton but it's on the difficult side of things even for a shmup (my opinion, I'm sure someone here can beat it blindfolded using only his pinky).

I think I'll mameorz the 2nd one.

Also fuck the pc engine port of tatsujin, at least the genesis port gives you a chance.

It’s definitelt more difficult than I care for, only since the stages are so long. One death in the wrong spot and you are screwed. It’s super reset heavy. But when you get a good rhythm going and start learning the patterns it feels extra rewarding