Trioncube DS....Excellent Puzzle Game

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
If you like puzzle games, you should pick this game up. It is only $19.99 and is IMO the best puzzle game to come out in a long time. The game is put out by Namco and it has a lot of high production values (color instructions ect.) considering the cost of the game.

It is a little like tetris but has a great story mode as well. Really interesting music for a puzzle game that just adds to the overall package. As you progress, you can buy things to add to your screen ect. Single card down load play for two players and up to four players if everyone has a copy.

You might want to check out some videos of it on Youtube.

beatifik

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
i just looked at the youtube videos. it's a little similar to the "CATCH" mode in tetris DS which i've been playing a lot lately.

it looks really easy from the videos. what's the objective, other than creating cubes?

looks cool, but maybe a little shallow. any explanation of the play mechanics would be great.

also, where'd you get it? can i pick it up at best buy or do i have to got to EB or one of those horrible hell holes?

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
beatifik said:
i just looked at the youtube videos. it's a little similar to the "CATCH" mode in tetris DS which i've been playing a lot lately.

it looks really easy from the videos. what's the objective, other than creating cubes?

looks cool, but maybe a little shallow. any explanation of the play mechanics would be great.

also, where'd you get it? can i pick it up at best buy or do i have to got to EB or one of those horrible hell holes?

It seems to be a little on the easy side, so if you are an expert at puzzle games, that may be the one downside. Blocks fall in different shapes (similar to Tetris but some of the shapes are different) and you are tying to make cubes. As you make a cube you can keep trying to connect pieces to connect the cubes together for a greater effect.

Arcade mode is fun and as you beat an area you move on to the next planet. For the story mode, there are 45 missions. I plan on trying out the multi-player tonight. You are making cubes to fuel your ship, you will see falling stars ect. on the screen and your ship is on the top screen with a distance meter to the right.

What I found interesting about the game was the music and story. (I read it is by the guy who makes the Mr. Driller games). When you connect a block, it really feels like it connected, meaning...the controls are really good.

I ordered in from EBGames. I don't know if normal places will carry this or not. I was going to run out and buy another copy for my wife but the three EB/GameStops by me aren't carrying it.

EDIT:When the cubes explode, they turn to coins and the coins can be used to buy various items in the game.

Last edited:

beatifik

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
ok, cool.

i may pick it up if i see it. it's only $20. i really like the design of the mr. driller games.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Gameoz said:
I ordered in from EBGames. I don't know if normal places will carry this or not. I was going to run out and buy another copy for my wife but the three EB/GameStops by me aren't carrying it.

I picked one today from Gamestop..so they are distributing them in the stores.

Sepeh

Crossed Swords Squire
I haven't heard of it, but now I'm going to find some info it from internet.

Puzzles are always welcomed to my DS collection.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
I am going to bump this because this puzzle game needs to be purchased. I just picked up a second copy for my wife.

I am guessing you would have to put in 50+ hours into it to unlock everything. Early on, you can purchase the art/sounds for a couple thousand. However, after a while, you are looking at hundreds of thousands. I have heard that the last item is a million. :loco:

Fucking fantastic puzzle game here and the fact that Kernow hates it, should seal the purchase for you.

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
Cool, I saw the game at Bust buy the other day and held off on buying it until I heard some reviews... that and I have no clue where my DS lite is.... it seems to have disappeared from my apartment.... I'll have to send out the search party and locate it, so I can buy this puzzle game...

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
djdelly said:
Cool, I saw the game at Bust buy the other day and held off on buying it until I heard some reviews... that and I have no clue where my DS lite is.... it seems to have disappeared from my apartment.... I'll have to send out the search party and locate it, so I can buy this puzzle game...

Good luck on the search.:tickled: I play my DS pretty much everyday, so I usually know where mine is at.

As for Trioncube, it is only $20 and well worth it. If your girl friend has a DS, you can play against each other with one game. My wife and I have put in about five hours just doing this. She ended up wanting her own copy, so that she could unlock her own items.

I would love to play a four player match but for that, everyone needs a copy of the game.

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
Gameoz said:
Good luck on the search.:tickled: I play my DS pretty much everyday, so I usually know where mine is at.

As for Trioncube, it is only $20 and well worth it. If your girl friend has a DS, you can play against each other with one game. My wife and I have put in about five hours just doing this. She ended up wanting her own copy, so that she could unlock her own items.

I would love to play a four player match but for that, everyone needs a copy of the game.

I haven't played mine in months.. I've been mostly playing PSP and Neo geo… I started Final Fantasy III for the snes earlier this week but can’t get into it (I have no clue why people love this game so much)… I thought that I had my DS in my NGPC case, but it wasn't there when I looked…. I haven’t searched to hard, but with the idea of a good puzzler out.. I may do it this weekend…

No she doesn't have a DS and I don't know if she would like this style of puzzle game... she likes puzzle games like MD3.. She was playing Lumines the other day and didn't enjoy it too much. She might have to break down and buy a DS for DW9 when that comes out...then she will be on the ds like it’s crack:oh_no: …provided that DW9 is good…

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
djdelly said:
I haven't played mine in months.. I've been mostly playing PSP and Neo geo… I started Final Fantasy III for the snes earlier this week but can’t get into it (I have no clue why people love this game so much)… I thought that I had my DS in my NGPC case, but it wasn't there when I looked…. I haven’t searched to hard, but with the idea of a good puzzler out.. I may do it this weekend…

No she doesn't have a DS and I don't know if she would like this style of puzzle game... she likes puzzle games like MD3.. She was playing Lumines the other day and didn't enjoy it too much. She might have to break down and buy a DS for DW9 when that comes out...then she will be on the ds like it’s crack:oh_no: …provided that DW9 is good…

Isn't DW9 going to be a semi-MMORPG? If that's the case it'll be worse than crack.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Finally got around to playing this. Seems like it's a little too easy to me. The only time I saw a "Game Over" screen was when it was a race to the finish against an NPC. Sorry, but I don't like this game enough to own it. It's a good renter, though.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
subbie said:
The game is very meh. Far too simple and no variety.

If you want a new puzzle game (should be comming stateside soon), get Honneycome Beat by hudson. It's a great and challanging game.

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=180283

I am thinking about picking up Honeycomb Beat since it is only $20. I thought about importing it but decided to wait.

As for Trioncube, I am surprised some of you didn't like it. I am guessing that you didn't try multi-player as that is the best feature of the game. Trioncube is way too easy but there is so much stuff to unlock if you are into that type of thing.

Puzzle Quest Challenge of Warlords just came out of the DS as well. You all may want to check that game out.