Transformers One. Nah dude.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Nice for who? You? It doesn't help Hasbro any. They want to go after the demo that made them millions and Transformers a household name back in the 1980s. Sucks you're not in that demo anymore, but oh well.
I would think maybe for a lot of folks. The War for Cybertron series on netflix was pretty good since it was probably one of the more adult oriented versions of the series. I think less comedy would be a better film for this series vs whatever this is.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The War for Cybertron series on netflix was pretty good since it was probably one of the more adult oriented versions of the series.
Which moved the needle not at all. You understand that Takara and Hasbro are toy companies, right? Their purpose for creating media is to sell toys. Which War for Cybertron did not at all. Nor have any of the other recent Transformers cartoons. They court the adult collector audience to their own detriment. Transformers isn't meant for adults. The number of adult manchilren will never match the number of kids and toy sales reached with G1 in the 1980s when they understood who their audience was.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
They used the Windows 95 song… That garage band was really talented, always felt they should have more exposure…

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Which moved the needle not at all. You understand that Takara and Hasbro are toy companies, right?
Which I'm well aware of but a large portion of those people buying toys are also grown adults with lots of disposable income. Yeah it's a kid's show but those same kids from the 80s are spending thousands of dollars on these things. I get where you're coming from but the world today is a lot different from the 80s. Adults & kids want stuff like this.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Which I'm well aware of but a large portion of those people buying toys are also grown adults with lots of disposable incoming.
Yeah a large percentage of the people buying Transformers today are adults. Like so many other IPs in games, toys, comics, whatever, they've been co-opted by an adult audience that selfishly thinks the property they loved as kids is supposed to grow up with them and no longer be for kids today. And because Hasbro has spent a lot of time and energy catering to the adult collector audience, they've gone from selling toys to millions of kids, to selling toys to tens of thousands of adults. That's an enormous step down from a business perspective. It's not like 100% of the people who played with Transformers as kids still buy them today. Nowhere close.

That's exactly what Hasbro would like to fix. The adult collectors are always going to buy the toys regardless, to get their nostalgia hit or whatever. They don't actually need to be advertised to through a movie or tv show (plus, it's been conclusively proven that adult fans will not only watch ANY stupid, inane, low-effort, poorly-written trash Transformers series, but half of them will even defend it). But Hasbro has to grow a young audience of new fans or die.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Yeah. Animation is nice but the dialog is pretty god damn cringe.
This feels like there going with that buddy cop theme for this origin story.I don't know but the movie won't be out until the fall still if this fails transformers movies well probably won't have a future in theaters.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Plus even going back to Transformers series that adult fans hold up the highest, like Beast Wars or Animated, they have more than their fair share of cringy dialogue and eye-rolling attempts at humor if you take off the nostalgia glasses and look at them objectively.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Plus even going back to Transformers series that adult fans hold up the highest, like Beast Wars or Animated, they have more than their fair share of cringy dialogue and eye-rolling attempts at humor if you take off the nostalgia glasses and look at them objectively.
Yeah I can't disagree with this assessment.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2024/04/19/stranger-danger This made me chuckle.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Those aren't adults; they are millennials.
Im not a millennial (gross) but I do think Beast Wars is the 'best' TF show. I wasn't a fan when it was on the air. I didnt like Mainframe's animation, and it wasn't G1, so I wasn't a fan.

Later on probably 2002 or so, I found the episodes on IRC (IN 360P! SO SHARP!) and watched through them. BW is definitely the high bar for Transformers shows. Some of the characters are still shit like RatTrap and Wazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzpinator, but over all the show is tops. Still not a huge fan of the animation style, but hey, it was the mid 90s and that was high-end CGI for a cartoon.

TF Animated can lick my after-a-long-day-mowing-the-lawn taint. That shit LOOKs stupid and IS stupid. Fucking cal-arts animation style doesn't belong in Transformers. I have one of the figures I found at a Tuesday Morning (its a sort of catch-all store where overstock goes in my area) for like $10, its the TF Animated Blitzwing. Evidently its somewhat sought after. But I bought it because it was voyager size, nearly commander size, and yeah its a piece of shit just like the show.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
TF Animated can lick my after-a-long-day-mowing-the-lawn taint. That shit LOOKs stupid and IS stupid. Fucking cal-arts animation style doesn't belong in Transformers. I have one of the figures I found at a Tuesday Morning (its a sort of catch-all store where overstock goes in my area) for like $10, its the TF Animated Blitzwing. Evidently its somewhat sought after. But I bought it because it was voyager size, nearly commander size, and yeah its a piece of shit just like the show.
:rolleyes:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I only do G1 and Masterpiece so I have no idea about BW, what a voyager is etc. Oh, I only own one G1 figure.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I only do G1 and Masterpiece so I have no idea about BW, what a voyager is etc. Oh, I only own one G1 figure.
Do you show the 8/10 that you bring home from the pub your G1 figurine?

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Most of the MP is out in the glass case which they admire in their pants. The single G1 prime is in the cupboard in an acrylic tomb

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year

Beast Wars toys were and are absolute shit. Even when I started to enjoy the show, the toys are trash. Even the MP ones. The only 'beast mode' toys worth anything are the Dinobots. Last year at a local Wal-mart there were something like 20 monkey primes in the clearance aisle. The others just sat on the shelves.

Because they are garbage.

Voyager/etc are the sizes of toys. Depending on the line (Legends, Universe, Armada, et al) they are called different things but for the most part its:

Core Class - Your teeny tiny ones that usually cost like 8 bucks and transform by flipping one or two things. Usually about 2" tall. Think Go-Bots size.
Deluxe Class - The 'standard' size that you see just about everywhere. Not super complex but also not "ok I flipped one panel over and its done."
Voyager Class - Mid-sized toys. More complex, but not super crazy
Leader Class - are the slightly larger ones.
Commander Class - the big boys that arent stuff like Metroplex or Unicron
Titan Class - obvious.

From there we go into Masterpiece, but I wouldn't say MP is a higher 'class' over Titans/Commanders. They are an entirely different animal. MP is MP.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Yeah when that all came in I was too old to begin with I think, I kinda tailed out after the G1 movie like most kids, probably 87,88.

I have no idea what's going on with MP, now MPG - we might get a Jazz before being 75