Totally new to the PSP; what do I need to know?

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
As subject says. I'm about to buy one ... EEE, Gradius Collection, etc. It all came to be too much.

So, what do I need to know?

What do I need to use the memory sticks for? Saves? Games? Etc?

Any recommendations?

BIG

sony fanboy
Kid Aphex said:
As subject says. I'm about to buy one ... EEE, Gradius Collection, etc. It all came to be too much.

So, what do I need to know?

What do I need to use the memory sticks for? Saves? Games? Etc?

Any recommendations?

There's no better time to own a PSP. Salamander Collection (Xexex!!),Parodius Collection,MGS: Portable Ops.,FF: Crisis Core,Metal Slug Anthology (MS6)...all coming in a few months' time.

Make sure you snag one with firmware 2.71 or below. I don't know if you're going to use it for homebrews or what not,but it's always good to leave that option open. Here are two great sites to help you get started www.pspupdates.qj.net and www.psp-hacks.com.

The memory sticks can be utilized to save games,store your favorite music/vids,run homebrew apps/emus,etc.

B-

Last edited:

Matarick

Goal! Goal! Goal!
Get yourself at least a 2gig memory stick for all of your musics and videos. If you do upgrade your firmware and go near wifi spots; you can update XML mp3 feeds automatically which is far better than what an iPod can do.

Gradius, Tekken, any Capcom Classics, SF3Upper, Ridge Racer Darkstalkers (if you don't mind the load time), and MGS: Portable Ops are all golden. If you are into RPGs, check out the European ports of Tales of Eternia and Breath of Fire 3.

If you are indeed getting a PS3, lests say that it is the ultimate PS3 peripherial since you can download PSone games onto it at launch.

Also, I also recommend you to get the golden Sony battery pack if you want to run your software for a longer period of time.

Also check this out if you feel adventurous by opening up your new PSP.

BTW, look out for Metal Slug collection and the Genesis collections for the PSP as well.

Mattroid

Edo Express Delivery Guy
15 Year Member
the memory stick holds game saves, demos, videos, mp3s, downloads (extra levels, etc), and homebrew. Of course, I assume the newer ones being shipped now are the latest firmware which probably can't run homebrew, though. I haven't been keeping up with the brew scene as of late, so I don't know what the highest fw is that they've hacked or that you can downgrade from.

I assume the newer versions also use the stick to hold cashe from the internet browser and all that as well.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Wasn't there a d-pad that came with SFA?

Matarick

Goal! Goal! Goal!
Weevus said:
Wasn't there a d-pad that came with SFA?

Yes, if you ordered the JPN import or at the Capcom Website. Shame my sticky pads wore out so I used yellow putty. It is a dirty solution but at least it sticks.

The U Fighter X solution is riskier and he chargers $30 if you have that kind of money to burn for PSP games.

There are other solutions out there and I sort of regretted not preordering Tekken at EB since it did have the nicer Dpad solution.