To sell everything but the everdrive

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
No everdrives but basically all my consoles can play copies and I'm a huge fan of my hacked Wii on my PVM (I am planning to cobble together a 15khz RGB emulator PC sometime in fact, to take it one step further). Similar concept.

It is a bit of an existential crisis when you sit down and realize the games themselves are just a splash of data, and what disc/cart/system contains them only in part (if at all) makes the game for most of us. Does this mean I like that I can hold a grey slab with Mario on it as some amount of my whole enjoyment of Super Mario Bros with the other part making the pixel plumber run and jump? That's a yes to me.

I enjoy the intangible aspects of collecting (deal hunting, becoming a bit of an expert on certain games just because you own them etc) and whatever good vibes come from seeing a lot of games and pulling them out and interacting and stuff. That and, I don't at all mean this as a means of boasting, but it's a good feeling when friends come over and root through for something for us to play/watch. Out of most gamers I know I'm one of a few with a somewhat substantial collection (I'm kinda hating using that word, basically all the games I have I bought to play or because I like them versus some sort of "quantity over quality" thing it implies about catching 'em all) and I'm totally cool with being used as a sort of museum. Maybe for some people this would be impressive, but I don't think I'd have the same reaction from lists of games on a TV you pick a game from versus the tangible real games.

Personally I'm also more inclined to play something if I have a legit copy of it as well, even if going to an emulator's favorite ROMs folder or similar is basically as convenient.

That said I'd sell all my games if I absolutely needed the money, between emulation and modded consoles I can have my Make Mario Go Right experience and enjoy it nearly as much as if I loaded it from the real cart. I'd say "the money or the space" but I "only" have ~400 physical titles which fit neatly into a bookcase, I'm nowhere near losing all my wallspace to shelving in some Room Of Doom looking gameroom.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
All my games could disappear tomorrow, and my life would go on. It would be a whole lot less cluttered as well. It might even be a relief to be free of this hobby.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I have more games than I can ever play as it is without adding to that problem with everdrives ;)

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I did this a few years ago and don't regret it. Krikzz is planning his usual Black Friday sale again this year, which should be like 10 or 20% off IIRC.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Nice, I might finally grab that SD2SNES this year.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
cool, I think I'll finally buy that GB/GBC flash cart.
I've been using an LSDJ cart for years.

I would buy an SD2SNES, but the only games I'd want on it that can't be done one Super Everdrive I already have. MMX2 and 3, Star Ocean, Star Fox 2 and Marvelous: Mouhitotsu no Takarajima, once it has a completed translation, I have a donor cart and EEPROM ready.

blakeb8111

Edo Express Delivery Guy
This. I don't mind emulation at all for playing games or the idea of everdrives, but nothing sparks up a good time with people who aren't as involved as myself in buying and collecting video games. When friends see the actual carts it brings back a lot of memories and makes them want to start playing.

No everdrives but basically all my consoles can play copies and I'm a huge fan of my hacked Wii on my PVM (I am planning to cobble together a 15khz RGB emulator PC sometime in fact, to take it one step further). Similar concept.

It is a bit of an existential crisis when you sit down and realize the games themselves are just a splash of data, and what disc/cart/system contains them only in part (if at all) makes the game for most of us. Does this mean I like that I can hold a grey slab with Mario on it as some amount of my whole enjoyment of Super Mario Bros with the other part making the pixel plumber run and jump? That's a yes to me.

I enjoy the intangible aspects of collecting (deal hunting, becoming a bit of an expert on certain games just because you own them etc) and whatever good vibes come from seeing a lot of games and pulling them out and interacting and stuff. That and, I don't at all mean this as a means of boasting, but it's a good feeling when friends come over and root through for something for us to play/watch. Out of most gamers I know I'm one of a few with a somewhat substantial collection (I'm kinda hating using that word, basically all the games I have I bought to play or because I like them versus some sort of "quantity over quality" thing it implies about catching 'em all) and I'm totally cool with being used as a sort of museum. Maybe for some people this would be impressive, but I don't think I'd have the same reaction from lists of games on a TV you pick a game from versus the tangible real games.

Personally I'm also more inclined to play something if I have a legit copy of it as well, even if going to an emulator's favorite ROMs folder or similar is basically as convenient.

That said I'd sell all my games if I absolutely needed the money, between emulation and modded consoles I can have my Make Mario Go Right experience and enjoy it nearly as much as if I loaded it from the real cart. I'd say "the money or the space" but I "only" have ~400 physical titles which fit neatly into a bookcase, I'm nowhere near losing all my wallspace to shelving in some Room Of Doom looking gameroom.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I just have a everdrive for the genesis&snes.It hasn't made me dump my collection of games for either console.Flash Carts are very convenient to use but i still like having a copy for completeness sake.About the only way id sell what i have and switch over to flash carts only,i was in financial trouble.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Let's face it, the hobby's not solely about playing. It's more of a mind game and if you manage to accept that, than you'll have an endlessly changing horizon.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Neo Geo: AES - Maybe 1-2 purchases throughout the year and IF I can afford it nowadays. Have 50 carts in total from looooooong ago. On MVS I have what I want more or less. Just looking into getting a Ninja Master's at some point. Regret selling this although it went to Yagyu Jubei in here so it's in the community's hand.
SNES: Kept 10 good games. Everything else Everdrive.
PCE: Everdrive
Dreamcast: Normal game copies.
Sega: Just use a CDX with an Everdrive. Light and compact, plays everything. Sold all my HAA-2510 and HAA-2910. Regret it? In a way yes, can't say I actually miss on anything though.

Also have two superguns and 10 Jamma boards. That's it when it come to retro.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I think Everdrives are fantastic, especially for someone just getting into the hobby or someone who needs the space. But for someone who already has the games I'm not sure it is worth it. To me, when I collected for the SNES, it was about the journey as much (or more) than the destination. It took me 10 years, and looking back at my collection and remembering where I picked up the games, the countless hours of hunting flea markets/yard sales/game stores and playing and discovering amazing games I did not know anything about was (and still is) so much fun. I just enjoy that so much I don't see myself selling it, no matter how much it is worth. Now if it is a system I'm just getting into (which is none really at this point) I would absolutely go for an Everdrive.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
I've wondered how many have gone this route, and how many others will in the next 5 years or so?

I could see myself selling off 90% of my collection, "cashing out" and living off my flash cart. For now I don't have a burning need for the cash and so I'll just hang onto my collection. You wonder how much more these games can command... prices just keep rising...

jugu

New Challenger
The Ever Drive is allowing me to play some games I never had a chance to before. After building a collection and selling it off twice, I'm more focused on the arcade experience. I've kept the Genesis carts that are near and dear to me ( Love you Streets of Rage!)

The vinyl analogy is a good one. The whole experience of sliding out the record, placing it on the turn table, and dropping the needle. Nothing compares to it. No skipping tracks, just sit back and enjoy.

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
Just bought the NES Everdrive $101.20 shipped from Krizz. NFI if Retrogate is him or not but total from them was $102, so saved another 80c. Woohoo.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Yeah, I picked up an N8 over the weekend while he had the sale too. Hopefully it shows up before Christmas!