To build a Neo stick...

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
So correct me if I'm wrong but - if one were to build a Neo arcade stick, all that is needed (other than the buttons/stick/case I mean) is a DB15 connector, and each wire needs to be connected to the DB15 in the correct order according to the pin-out, right?

There's no need for any PCB's or encoders, etc right?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
So correct me if I'm wrong but - if one were to build a Neo arcade stick, all that is needed (other than the buttons/stick/case I mean) is a DB15 connector, and each wire needs to be connected to the DB15 in the correct order according to the pin-out, right?

There's no need for any PCB's or encoders, etc right?
That is correct.
BB

hatmoose

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Can confirm - common ground and one pin per button, no need for +5v. Any old female DB15 shell should do the trick, the DB15 male receptacle on some AES's is very "deep" so it may not make great mechanical connection in some cases

If you use the Undamned pinout you can sneak B5 and B6 into the DB15 shell too. But if you use this on a multi-slot MVS it might be looking for select on button 5 (pin 10)
DB15.png

Here is an i-cade that I converted to DB15, also replaced the sticks and buttons with Sanwa for the most expensive i-cade ever
IMG_5500.jpeg

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Awesome. Thanks fellas!

I got a "Bean" controller coming, but I want to build a second for testing/project/etc.

hatmoose

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Can confirm as well. I actually got one of these cables and wired it in when I made my custom Neo stick:

Nice! This is a particularly useful thing
the overmoulded genuine SNK ones (like off a neoCD pad for example) do NOT have all 15 pins wired.
One of those cases where the aftermarket is superior to the OEM