time for a new cellphone

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
So its time I get a new cellphone, Ive been on a galaxy s3 for a while now, its always worked great and has done pretty much anything I wanted it to since I got it..

What do you guys have right now? any recommendations?

So far Im really looking into a nexus 5, its not that expensive and I kinda like vanilla android.

BTW I'm on T-mobile

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Whatever the newest Nexus is. I have the 6 and it's awesome and built like a house.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I have an iPhone 6S Plus because I'm a yuppie and love the acessory/app variety. Records great 4k video, but limited to 30fps.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Waiting on the Note 7 that's rumoured to be out in August. I've heard all kinds of crazy spec reports but you don't know until it actually arrives.

Only reason I want one is because my note 4 is in it's final days and the note 5 wasn't released in europe so I've just had to wait.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
polluxtroy recently invested in a nokia n-gage, and he's loving it.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I have a Note 5 and it has been fantastic. Updates have been very slow though. Nexus 5 isnt going to get anymore updates I think, so you may want to consider a 6 or a 5p/6p.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I have a Note 5 and it has been fantastic. Updates have been very slow though. Nexus 5 isnt going to get anymore updates I think, so you may want to consider a 6 or a 5p/6p.

If you'd told me before I got the note 3 that I would be using a stylus all over again I would have laughed at you, but it's awesome.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
If you'd told me before I got the note 3 that I would be using a stylus all over again I would have laughed at you, but it's awesome.

Yeah I do use it quite a bit for browsing and taking notes. Did you get the Marshmallow update yet? I'm getting 20-30% more battery life since the update.

Speed3

Marked Wolf
I have the iPhone 6S, its not too big like the 6S+. IOS has a simple UI and for what I use it for it works well. I don't get the whole yuppie image its not any more expensive than an android phone. I used Galaxies for years and never used any of the additional functionality / customizability, i prefer the simplicity of the iPhone

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I'm currently using an iPhone 6S and I hate the thing(am more of an Android person). Was looking at the new LG V10 and that thing looks fantastic(would love to ditch the 6S and get that).

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
i got the iphone se.

iphone 5 size. 6 tech.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I have an iPhone 6S Plus because I'm a yuppie and love the acessory/app variety. Records great 4k video, but limited to 30fps.

At least you're honest. I have no idea since I'm on an old dumb phone with a fold out keypad. I don't have a need or cash for a smartphone. The only time I'd use the web functionality of it is on breaks at work. I have Internet accessible at home. I can see people who use it for work, on the road alot, etc. Or even tech rats who like to play with the newest gadgets like most of us are.

Kyle

Kabuki Klasher
I went this month from an S3 myself to a Nexus 6P. I wanted vanilla Android without carrier nonsense. It wasn't cheap but I don't cycle through phones either. Just off the top of my head:

- Size is great and the LED screen looks better than an iPhone's LCD. Everyone at my job has iPhones and comment on how much richer the colors are
- Processor is fast enough to run MAME. Not everyone's thing but it beats the bullshit games on the store. I play games like Battle Garegga
- Battery life is nice. I am not a heavy user but I still have 50-60% left at the end of the day even with gaming and browsing
- Camera takes "good enough pictures." I still use my DSLR but my friend loves the pictures he gets from his
- Fingerprint unlock is slick

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I see people walking around at work with these monstrocities that are almost or bigger than a 3DS. I like compactibility on my phones.

Tech&Music

Another Striker
Using an ASUS ZenFone 2, it's an unlocked Chinese model, it has the 4GB of RAM but the slightly slower Atom processor. It's really snappy and responsive, and does what I want for what I think is a good price ($300 at the time).
That said, it has its caveats, primarily ASUS crapware, that require you to root it and get rid of that. But once that's done, it's great.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I have an S5 and I have no plans of getting rid of it anytime soon. If I did I'd get an S7, user replaceable battery and expandable memory are a must. It's why I got rid of my iPhone.

BTW Greg, you'd be surprised how portable the larger phones are. They're so thin that they still easily fit in a pocket and you don't even realize it's there unless you think about it.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
LG G5 is sweet, I have it, would recommand it to many.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
If you just need a smartphone for email, some web usage, and mostly use it as a phone, then get whichever one works best with the rest of your stuff.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
If you just need a smartphone for email, some web usage, and mostly use it as a phone, then get whichever one works best with the rest of your stuff.

Texting is paramount now on my phone as I have to communicate with co-workers about our D&D games, and texting is the most efficient.

I'm on a family share plan with my Dad that's pretty cheap, but if he passes away and I don't need a new contract, I would probably go with cricket. Good idea? Anybody tried them?

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Texting is paramount now on my phone as I have to communicate with co-workers about our D&D games, and texting is the most efficient.

I'm on a family share plan with my Dad that's pretty cheap, but if he passes away and I don't need a new contract, I would probably go with cricket. Good idea? Anybody tried them?

I can say, if you have a mac and an iphone, you can text people from the messages program on the mac, which is nice for me.

No idea if windows phones do the same thing.