This Neo House - Tools & Home Improvements

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I think stuff like Hilti is overkill for occasional home improvement work. Excellent quality but prices are up there. If you don't actually work in the field, it's probably best to start with a decent-quality "home version" toolset and put the money you saved into actual improvement projects.

Beware of the G.A.S., folks! :)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
G.A.S. ???

Gear Acquisition Syndrome, i.e. when owning and buying fancy gear becomes more important than actually using the stuff you have to make something worthwhile with it.

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
Best brand...

This is always a slippery slope to discuss. As a furniture maker, I wouldn't be without my Festool stuff. Some people only see price tags though...

Even when talking about Tablesaws and bigger power tools, there is no ceiling to "best". Some people think that a Delta table saw is best, when there is commercial and Euro stuff that blows anything that you or I could honestly justify in a small shop. I'm looking into Felder tablesaws now, and they cost more than a new car in some cases. (And they're still not the "best")

The word "best" is always met with a caveat. "Best" for someone starting out, "best" for a small shop, "best" for a budget, etc...

This really gets intense when talking about hand tools. I have several handplanes that each cost around what a decent tablesaw does. It gets expensive if you want the best.

Two of my favorite handplanes:

11233102_10207742700993689_2225222498651530296_o.jpg

12654141_10208766045616665_9148071758290711687_n.jpg

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Those handplanes are insane! You can tell just by looking at them that they cost a fortune.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Tools are so specialized now that there isn't a best brand for all, but there are certainly best brands for each tool. If one wanted to go with a single brand because of the ability to swap batteries and handles, etc - i'd suggest:

BOSCH - they are the best at a few things and very good at the rest. They make everything.

or

RIDGID - they aren't exceptional at anything, but are good to very good at everything. Assuming this is for light to moderate projects and maintenance - you can't go wrong with Ridgid and the deal sealer for them is the life-time warranty on everything...including batteries. Because it's all at Home Depot - you don't have to write emails or mail things - you just bring in the tool or battery and they'll either fix or replace.

@Gord - I've had a DeWalt Table Saw. I can't say it was terrible, but I wouldn't buy another. Blade changing; particularly adding Dado's is more difficult than it needs to be. Peripherals were poor to average in quality. I've moved onto a Bosch with Gravity Rise stand. So so slick and when space is a concern - this is the way to go. You can take it anywhere quickly and easily. As usual - the peripherals (extensions, etc) are just OK, but blade changing, power, and the stand are exceptional.

I'm going to an auction tonight - tons of Grizzly tools. Band saw, planer, big stuff. These auctions are the best - 90% of the buyers don't have the manpower or vehicles to even transport these larger machines - so you're often only bidding against 2-3 people and once they buy one or two big things, they're done.