Thexder

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

So apparently one of the 3DO M2 demos I got running was Thexder. Someone guessed at what it was and it was a 100% match, so mystery solved. Honestly I’ve never played a Thexder entry so I was unfamiliar with it.

Anyone recall any potential Thexder game mentions in the mid to late 90’s. Maybe even later as it’s possible it transitioned to Dreamcast. I don’t know who the developer was minus the were a Japanese dev, so trying to track down any potential lost alpha is a bit of a dead end since I don’t really have a starting point.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
A friend of mine used to rave about getting this game back in the late 80's... It was either released for c=64 or Amiga from what I recall.
BB

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
A friend of mine used to rave about getting this game back in the late 80's... It was either released for c=64 or Amiga from what I recall.
BB

I had literally never come across it. Seems like people either love Thexder or say “what’s that”?

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I played a ton of the original game as a kid on the Apple IIgs. There was nothing really like it on home computers at the time.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
You know what,this may be the computer because we had them in school at the time.If it was on Amiga or c=64 I probably would have had a copy.
BB
I played a ton of the original game as a kid on the Apple IIgs. There was nothing really like it on home computers at the time.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Thexder was a smash hit in Japan, and it was ported to everything contemporary at the time, like the NEC PC-8801, MSX and Famicom. Sierra licensed it for US distribution and released it on the contemporary computer platforms, specifically IBM PC, Tandy Color Computer 3 (which is what I played it on), Apple II, Apple IIGS, Apple Macintosh, and Tandy 1000. Finally Activision ported it to the Amiga for a Euro release.

A sequel, Thexder 2, was developed for MSX and DOS. Then, there was two remakes of the original game - one for for Windows 95, and another for the Sony PSP and PS3.

Given the timing of it, I'd say the M2 Thexder model was probably utilized for the Windows 95 remake.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
You can still get the remake of the first game published by square Enix on US psn for $4.99 if anyone is interested it includes the og version

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Thexder was a smash hit in Japan, and it was ported to everything contemporary at the time, like the NEC PC-8801, MSX and Famicom. Sierra licensed it for US distribution and released it on the contemporary computer platforms, specifically IBM PC, Tandy Color Computer 3 (which is what I played it on), Apple II, Apple IIGS, Apple Macintosh, and Tandy 1000. Finally Activision ported it to the Amiga for a Euro release.

A sequel, Thexder 2, was developed for MSX and DOS. Then, there was two remakes of the original game - one for for Windows 95, and another for the Sony PSP and PS3.

Given the timing of it, I'd say the M2 Thexder model was probably utilized for the Windows 95 remake.

I remember playing it on MSX. Weird shmup/explorariin game where you could transform between plane and robot.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

That makes sense then a sequel / remake was in development for M2, if it was huge in Japan that ties into what I know about the file...that "it was from a japanese developer"

Devs would send in models and demos to the 3DO company for feedback / insight into improvements, so I do trust the origin story of the file

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
That is badass. I had no idea this was ever in the works.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
For those wanting some Thexder action, the Thexder NEO remake by Square Enix and Game Arts is highly recommended, and if you end up hating it you can also play the original japanese PC version in it, too.

Last edited:

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
It the first PC game (DOS) i ever bought when i was a kid. It looked so cool , but i never was able to get very far in the game. Probably got influenced by the robot transforming into plane with transformers being so big back then.