The Witness is finally out

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Everyone/anyone remember when The Witness was prominently shown at the PS4 unveiling? Jonathan Blow's followup to Braid?

After eight (!!) years of development, it came out yesterday for PS4 and PC, $39.99.

It's very unique- I'm curious what people are thinking of it so far (my initial thoughts, very briefly, are DAMN this is hard and I wish I could adjust the sticks' sensitivity).

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Bought it yesterday morning and am pretty stoked to check it out, will probably give it a first play session tonight.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
downloading now on Steam. My wife loves puzzle games so I am hoping to get some solid playtime out of this with her

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Don't pay full price for games much anymore but I'm actually itching to play this. I could really go for a good puzzle game about now.

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
Wow its been 8 years since Braid?! I hope the Witness will live up to the same standard set by Braid. I will wait for a digital sale though.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Wow its been 8 years since Braid?! I hope the Witness will live up to the same standard set by Braid. I will wait for a digital sale though.

my thoughts exactly.

no thanks on a $40 download when in 8-12 months it will end up free on ps+. I have enough of a backlog already.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Big fan of braid, I'll get it when it hits the 80% off mark on Steam. Maybe 60% off if I have the cash.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
One note- I agree that it's not cheap for a digital game, but there is a lot of content. It ends up being something like 550 puzzles and an average playthrough (finishing maybe 350-400 of those) takes 25-30 hours.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
One note- I agree that it's not cheap for a digital game, but there is a lot of content. It ends up being something like 550 puzzles and an average playthrough (finishing maybe 350-400 of those) takes 25-30 hours.

is it fun?

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
If the general consensus is to be believed, yes very much so. Assuming you like Myst-like puzzle games.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
If the general consensus is to be believed, yes very much so. Assuming you like Myst-like puzzle games.

I spent like 200 bucks this month on random shit think I'll just wait this out till it drops in price. Can't see myself paying 40 for a digital game.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Is this eventually going to get a physical release?

Looks likely. Braid did.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12/23/jonathan-blows-the-witness-aims-for-a-physical-release

I'm guess the game is good if you like Myst style games. It's sitting at about 86% on Steam with over 600 votes, and metacritic critic reviews are in the 90th percentile. The metacritic user reviews are pretty poor. But from reading over them it's people who don't like puzzles very much, and haven't even finished the game.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
is it fun?

Yes- it's fun to play through the puzzles and explore the island, but the most "fun" is in figuring out how a new rule works. Basically, the game can make you pull your hair out for a while (10 min, 30 min, a day, whatever), but then when you finally go YES that's how to do this, it's awesome. It's a little like a non-violent Dark Souls, maybe.