The Sega SG-1000/MK II/MK III/SK-1100/SC-3000/SC-3000H Thread

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
yup, same here, I only buy untested if I know a thing or two about it, like Spectrums or Atari 2600s. Of course there's always the odd machine that looks good at first but turns out to be a tough nut to crack. Once a friend of mine asked me to take a closer look at a Speccy with broken voltage regulator. Got it working after three weeks of on-and-off inspection and repairs, it had a dead ULA, two dead lower RAM chips, several broken traces, a bloated cap and some other issues which got fixed. The voltage regulator was okay, btw.
And people wonder why there aren't a bunch of people around who still fix these things. That's dedication for sure.

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
I kinda liked how the mark iii looked but wasn't sure I'd enjoy the games enough to buy one some years ago. I figure that stuff is probably out of the realm of casual purchasing with today's over inflated prices.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I kinda liked how the mark iii looked but wasn't sure I'd enjoy the games enough to buy one some years ago. I figure that stuff is probably out of the realm of casual purchasing with today's over inflated prices.

The current classic gaming market can be very frustrating. For someone like me who was born in 1970 and sort of lived through the whole thing from the conception of the micro processor to today's high-end graphics, it almost feels like you're getting robbed of your past by soulless small-minded people and their pathological urge to make a dime.

This results in some idiots selling bare Combat carts for Atari 2600 for €25 over here and some other idiots buying them for that insane amount of money. The market has been hopelessly spoiled and I don't think things will return to normal anytime soon, there are just too many morons out there who have absolutely no clue about, uhm, anything, they just follow trends and shell out big time if they see someting nice and shiny-shiny.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
To round things off, I've decided to stick to playing SG-1000 games on my SMS for now. The cheapest offer I've found for a SG-1000 MKII was round €180 (listed as untested), together with a card catcher, cables, a new PSU, some games, toll fees and shipping, I'd be looking at €400 or thereabouts for a system that most probably would need repairs. Add €50 or €100 for a MKIII or Japanese SMS, respectively.

This is collector territory so I'm out. Think of the Vodka I could get for the money.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I'm a bit disappointed the SMS Everdrive doesn't work on the Sega Mark III, yes with an adapter.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I occasionally play some on the pocket with fpga. One of my earliest arcade memories is playing Sega/ Alpha Denshi Champion Baseball in the arcade in Wildwood, NJ. So I play that once and a while on the SG-1000 core on the pocket

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
It just hangs on a black screen, never does that Sega Mark III logo appear.

I can give that C18 capacitor change a try.

Edit: I did the capacitor mod, my SMS Everdrive works now, sweet.

Last edited: