"The Nintendo Playstation - the untold story of the prototype" book on KS

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
These guys seem like tools and they're clearly not writers or game historians so the only thing I'd be interested in is the photos. If this were being written by a real journalist I would buy it in an instant. But a kid who just happened to find something his father just happened to bring home decades ago? No way.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
it's not that interesting of a story.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
"Untold story..."pfff. This story is largely told already in Console Wars (a great read by the way).

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
All this thing needs to be is a large color glossy magazine chock full of photos. A short article with a bit of back story is the full extent of written word I'd want from these guys. All that being said I may end up backing this for said photos.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I wish Pix'n Love would release english versions of all their books. You guys have been missing on a lot of cool exclusive stuff.

Newsdee

Rugal's Thug
Reading the KS description it looks like they are going to interview people involved with the project and try to get it fixed to run the CD (i.e. the funds are going mainly towards those two goals). So I think they're aware that people are not that keen to just read *their* story.

If this helps documenting the hardware and eventually have ways to recreate it it's already interesting. Not sure such a book exists for the SNES in general.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I think byuu somewhat recreated it already with the MSU1 chip.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
LOL $80 to get a copy of the actual hardback. Get the fuck outta here with that shit.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
LOL $80 to get a copy of the actual hardback. Get the fuck outta here with that shit.

The lower tiers have some cool stuff though. For $49 you get a backer exclusive mug and t-shirt! Fuck yea.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The history is quite interesting but it's already out there and for free. A mug and a t-shirt? I've already got many of those and without silly prints on them too.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
This might be interesting for some of you:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/781577902/the-nintendo-playstation-the-untold-story-of-the-p

I'm really wondering whether the CD code really boots or if it's just a mock-up that was never developed... not that it matters so much now with the MSU1 bringing CD-quality audio (supported by SD2SNES) :drool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL1wsOHM0Ss
Some of the reasons I bought a Playstation when they came out, was that it looked like a SNES (same light grey color), and the controllers looked similar to the SNES, and the console had the backing of Sony (as opposed to the unreliable Sega, which had messed with its (American) customers with the half-baked Sega CD and 32X). And it had some of the games the SNES had (SF2, SFA2), but the N64 didn't. Capcom switched to the PSX (and Saturn) as they knew they would make more money from CD games, than they would from selling N64 cartridges (which were overpriced anyway). So, for me, all of those features were more important than the fact the PSX didn't have Mario/ Donkey Kong games, which weren't as interesting to me, anyway, once they switched to being 3D games. Also, for most of the SNES' history, its games couldn't have adult themes/violence, but PSX games could. The PSX was CD-based (high capacity game storage) and 32-bit CPU, so it seemed to be better placed to do decent conversions of arcade games than the N64, with better (arcade-quality) sound. Maybe some of the PSX sprites still had to be cut down in size from the arcade, but it took until the release of the PS2 for a Playstation series console to be able to do perfect conversions of 2D arcade systems with big sprites, like the Neo Geo.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Some of the reasons I bought a Playstation when they came out, was that it looked like a SNES (same light grey color), and the controllers looked similar to the SNES, and the console had the backing of Sony (as opposed to the unreliable Sega, which had messed with its (American) customers with the half-baked Sega CD and 32X). And it have some of the games the SNES had (SF2, SFA2), but the N64 didn't. Capcom switched to the PSX (and Saturn) as they knew they would make more money from CD games, than they would from selling N64 cartridges (which were overpriced anyway). So, for me, all of those features were more important than the fact the PSX didn't have Mario/ Donkey Kong games, which weren't as interesting to me, anyway, once they switched to being 3D games. Also, for most of the SNES' history, its games couldn't have adult themes/violence, but PSX games could. The PSX was CD-based (high capacity game storage) and 32-bit CPU, so it seemed to be better placed to do decent conversions of arcade games than the N64, with better (arcade-quality) sound. Maybe some of the PSX sprites still had to be cut down in size from the arcade, but it took until the release of the PS2 for a Playstation series console to be able to do perfect conversions of 2D arcade systems with big sprites, like the Neo Geo.

The Playstation was always the spiritual successor to the SNES in my book. Where the SNES felt like an advanced NES, the PS1 seemd like an advanced SNES. The N64 was a completely different skew to me.

On topic...LOL@that book. No fucking way. It's neat and all that the console popped up...I loved seeing high resolution images of the console. Outside of that? I already know the complete story...I was fucking obsessed with the thing back in the day. I don't need a book to tell it to me once again.

As for the actual system? No software, no care. If some actual development CD based games popped up and could be used on the thing...I'd be all eyes/ears.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I never had any interest in a "Playstation" because it was a stupid name, with stupid shapes for button labels.