The last game SNK released before the Neo: Search and Rescue

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I had heard of SAR: Search and Rescue but had never bothered to play it. It was released in 1989 and was the last game SNK made before they created the Neo-Geo. In my mind I had always imagined it as something in the vein of P.O.W. or Ikari Warriors, thanks to the very generic name. I wasn't too far off - the gameplay was similar to Ikari, a top-down shooter with rotary controls. But to my surprise, there was no search and rescue in this game at all. Instead it was heavily inspired by Aliens and was one of the goriest games they ever made.

SearchAndRescueIsAHorribleNameForThisGame.jpg

Look at that arcade flyer, doesn't a game like that just scream Search and Rescue to you? They really dropped the ball with that name.

Immediately upon starting the game my jaw dropped as I was greeted with one of the most incredible common enemy death animations I had ever seen, with zombies exploding into a hundred pieces.
Spoiler:

SAR1LONESAGE.png

This is the biggest selling point of the game, the gore. This is something that had never been seen from SNK before. Even after, games like Cyber-Lip chickened out by having enemies explode as robots, and in Mutation Nation the enemies exploded into some kind of green gloop that was more comical than horror.
Spoiler:

SAR2LONESAGE.png

Even some of the zombie enemies will crawl with their entrails hanging out.

The biggest influence to this game, as evidenced by the flyer from above, was Aliens. And there are indeed xenomorph enemies in this game; sometimes they'll even attack by extending their inner mouths just like xenomorphs. If you damage them enough but don't outright kill them, they'll look like half their body exploded and just walk off-screen without ever bothering the player again:

Spoiler:
SAR3LONESAGEWASABIwhereyouatbro.png

Unfortunately the game isn't that great. The repetition of backgrounds makes the game feel monotonous despite the colorful enemy deaths, and the four total bosses in the game are a bit of a letdown design-wise compared to just the common enemy death animations. The game itself can be beaten in about 15 minutes and is worth checking out at the least. An interesting game mechanic is the player is able to do a long jump that makes it easy to skip past enemies entirely.

There aren't many discussions of this game on the forums; it's fair to say that compared to Ikari and Guerrilla War, this one flew in under the radar big-time.
Enjoy this for sale thread of the PCB by @ForeverSublime in 2005: https://neo-geo.com/forums/index.php?threads/sar-search-and-rescue-jamma-pcb-for-sale.105246/

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
You rock for shedding a spotlight on this one, LS :buttrock:. This game indeed has rarely been brought up over the years, though I’m sure it didn’t help that it didn’t see a console version or compilation release until the jp psp exclusive SNK Arcade Classics 0 and the newer SNK 40th Anniversary Collection.

The gore in this title and Beast Busters from around the same time definitely became a rare sight from SNK lol

Though I know his content is divisive here, VGE did a good vid on this last year for those interested:

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
To my utmost shame I must confess that I've never played the game. I know it exists and what it's about but somehow I never bothered with it. I've also never seen a cab in the wild, unlike Ikari Warriors which seemed to be everywhere over here back in the day.

I've played many rotary-controls games on various home systems and some are really playable and/or use a dual stick setup to counter the lack of a proper rotary but once you've played a game like that on a cab with a fully functioning rotary controller, you're going to have difficulties going back to sticks or pads.

About SAR, I'll definitely give it a try on emu tonight, don't wanna miss out on the SNK gore.

Kid Fenris

Rugal's Thug
10 Year Member
20230704_201132.jpg

I like SAR more than most of SNK's 1980s arcade games; the alien-infested ship is interesting and the diving move is a nice touch. You're right about it being generic and not living up to its potential, though. It starts to repeat itself way too soon.

That flyer is amazing. I know everyone was ripping of Alien and Giger in the late 1980s, but that artwork is deep into lawsuit territory.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Digital Eclipse messed the controls up on this for the 40th Anniversary Collection, at least on Switch. It should control just like Ikari, but it doesn't... which makes zero sense.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Looks cool , never tried it and it's my type of game. Let's fire up the ol'mame tonight

doaal

Marked Wolf
Beast Busters was around the same time and had lots of gore. It is strange that SNK didn't lean into the violence with other Neo titles especially during the edgy early 90s. I wonder if it was to get as many Neo titles released in as many regions as possible. I don't know what some countries would have considered acceptible at the time.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Beast Busters was around the same time and had lots of gore. It is strange that SNK didn't lean into the violence with other Neo titles especially during the edgy early 90s. I wonder if it was to get as many Neo titles released in as many regions as possible. I don't know what some countries would have considered acceptible at the time.

To be fair, long afterwards SNK Playmore (infamously) leaned back into a more graphic depiction of violence with Samurai Shodown V Special before needing to censor again. So we can’t say they didn’t at least try :lolz:

Last edited: