The best Neo fighter: Your choice

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
Spike Spiegel said:
http://henahena.ddo.jp/movietop.htm

Go here, and check out the great head to head matches. This shit's from a long time ago, and yet you've got deep, deep play control from it. Click on any of the links to see some great fights from FFS.

I see very little to no use of lineswaying in all 11 vids. Am I right in assuming that lineswaying is pointless in this game?

Oh and anyone who can perform Lawrence's dm that often and that quickly should be declared the winner regardless of the outcome of the fight.

Change of topic
I'm not meaning to drag this argument out but back to KoF 94. It may or may not be broken, but that's not the point. The first game in a series is very rarely considered "the best". Saying KoF 94 is the best neo game in this day and age is like saying it has taken the company formerly known as SNK 10 years to try to improve the series but they have failed in every attempt. Surely nobody can agree to that?

There are favourites and some KoF's play completely different because of the introduction of Strikers, tagging, swaying, rolling and so on. But KoF 94? Looking at it now, I can't even play the damn game. The animation, sound, music, characters and roster have all been improved in later versions. Yes, it's all opinion based but ...... like .... screw flanders!!!

I loathe opinion based topics with a passion and yet this is my 2nd post in this thread. hmm....

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
BigFred said:
I'm not meaning to drag this argument out but back to KoF 94. It may or may not be broken, but that's not the point. The first game in a series is very rarely considered "the best". Saying KoF 94 is the best neo game in this day and age is like saying it has taken the company formerly known as SNK 10 years to try to improve the series but they have failed in every attempt. Surely nobody can agree to that?
The flip side of that would be to say that none of the other KOFs were as much of an innovation as the very first. It did many things for the first time, like team fighting. Everything that came after was built on the foundation of '94. Surely, anyone can agree to that?

As far as FFS line changing (swaying didn't start until FF3), it's not useless, but hard to use effectively above novice level because it's easy to punish by any player who can do the block, f+A counters reliably. Other than to avoid chip damage, you are asking for it if you try to use it to chase an experienced player. If your opponent is on the other line, usually better to roll over, not near them.

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
SouthtownKid said:
The flip side of that would be to say that none of the other KOFs were as much of an innovation as the very first. It did many things for the first time, like team fighting. Everything that came after was built on the foundation of '94. Surely, anyone can agree to that?

As far as FFS line changing (swaying didn't start until FF3), it's not useless, but hard to use effectively above novice level because it's easy to punish by any player who can do the block, f+A counters reliably. Other than to avoid chip damage, you are asking for it if you try to use it to chase an experienced player. If your opponent is on the other line, usually better to roll over, not near them.

So you're saying that because it came first, it automatically deserves the right to be classed as the best neo fighter? I agree that it introduced team fighting, brought multiple characters from various games in one fighter.. etc. but something had to come first. I don't think the game has even aged well... but whatever.

As for FFS...
Yeah, I found little use for lineswaying in the game and when I saw those casual matches I kind of realised that maybe I'm not alone. To be honest I don't think they got the system right until maybe RBS/RB2.

I always wondered how people specially the AI where able to perform an anti-air such as the rising tackle from the back plane. Charging down automatically sends you back to the original plane. wtf?

It was too easy to punish swayers in FF3/RB1. 90% of the characters had a multi-plane hitting special, which usually made you think twice about swaying, in some cases this was the dm.

ken_dong

Sakura's Bank Manager
Garou is good, of course, I think kof is harder and better, but motw is still fine, a stylish game.

bumbachief

WHOR3
For me.

It has to be samurai showdown, not played the newer ones but the ones I have played I love.

King of fighters and art of fighting and fatal fury get some respect too.

Thinking of buying ssvc or mark of the wolves, so cant talk about these yet. But from what I have heard meant to be really good. Any1 wish to elaborate.

Thx Bumba

manly_pirate

Kuroko's Training Dummy
pretas said:
i like fatal fury 1... it's the memories that make it enjoyable.

Agreed, I remeber getting grounded for hitting my brothers genesis repeatedly when I couldn't beat Richard Meyer. Good Times.