The 1998 game selection - your favorites?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Carrying on from 1997, we see the Neo Geo platform settle into a new normal of a small list of new releases, 9 for this year. The general output quality of SNK continues to near the plateau of the very best the system has to offer, with marquee standouts such as King of Fighters 98 and Last Blade 2 being widely considered among the best - if not the very best - fighting games on the system. Future years would end up being just a bit better than what came before... Well, except for Metal Slug 2, a surprisingly sloppy release marred by significant bouts of slowdown during busy on-screen action, something hadn't really been seen before on the platform. Also, SNK's massively popular Samurai Shodown continues to remain absent this year.

Blazing Star
Breakers Revenge
Flip Shot (aka Battle Flip Shot)
King of Fighters 98
Last Blade 2
Metal Slug 2
Neo Geo Cup 98
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
Shock Troopers 2nd Squad

My picks for this year are Blazing Star, KOF 98, RBFF2 and yes even Metal Slug 2, warts and all.

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
Lots of great games from that year but Last Blade 2 is my personal favorite. Wish I could play it again fresh because I've put so many hours into it that it's not that fun to me anymore.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I don't believe in Top 10 lists or whatever. What was my favorite game ten years ago isn't my favorite today. I loved KOF 98 twenty years ago but if you asked me today what I'd want to play I'd say Slug 2.

Anyways, Blazing Star. That game does things I thought the Neo could never do. Also, get to abort a baby.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Just to clear up any misconceptions, but that n00b of the year thing is a complete (and literal) joke. I choose at random for whoever wins. It doesn't matter, nunna dis matters.

Reactions: Syn

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
KOF98 and Blazing Star are obvious choices, and RBFF2 gets well-deserved praise. Breakers Revenge is the unsung hero of the year, and Neo Geo Cup 98 is a lot of fun, too. I've probably played KOF98 and Breakers Revenge the most out of any of the '98 releases.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Just to clear up any misconceptions, but that n00b of the year thing is a complete (and literal) joke. I choose at random for whoever wins. It doesn't matter, nunna dis matters.
It does make for entertaining discussion.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Metal Slug 2
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
Shock Troopers 2nd Squad

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I bought KoF98 and NGC98 that year, still have the latter. I think Slug 2 and Blazing Star were the highlights of '98, although BS did not sell that well, given its rarity.

I've also spent lots of time with RB2 but couldn't take it seriously at first, felt a bit too cartoonish to me. Later on I discovered the finer points of its engine and now I quite like it, even tho it's not my fav RB, that would be the first (RBFF).

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
KOF 98 - no hesitation there.

1998 was full of excellent Neo games, but none have had the life-long impact on me like KOF 98. It was my favorite video game (not just Neo) release when it came out in 1998 and is still my favorite release from that year 25 years later. Hands down my favorite fighting game ever.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I appreciate and respect 98, but it's a bland single player game. Slug 2's slowdown is not that much of an issue in single player and is a fantastic game, so that gets my vote.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I've put in a ton of time into blazing star, RB2 and Last Blade 2. The turbo update to MS2 is essential, and KOF98 is a fun time. Overall a great year for the Neo

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I respect KOF '98 as KOF perefected, but the game is lacking its own personality compared to most of the other entries in the series. The presentation, backgrounds and music are all fine, but nothing special.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I respect KOF '98 as KOF perefected, but the game is lacking its own personality compared to most of the other entries in the series. The presentation, backgrounds and music are all fine, but nothing special.

Yup, how I feel too. It's a very "sterile" game. Other entries in the series have a lot more personality.

Technos

Formerly known as #28
20 Year Member
If I had to rank them, I’d go:

KOF ‘98
Last Blade 2
Metal Slug 2
Breakers Revenge
Shock Troopers 2nd Squad
Blazing Star
RB2
Flip Shot
NG Cup ‘98

1998 was probably the best year for video games, ever.