Tak What are some hidden gems on the MSX?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
So I'm not super happy with my MegaFlashROM at the moment. It turns out when you boot it the floppy drive is completely inaccessible for some reason? I was hoping to write some .dsk images to physical floppy disks.

The reason is that Valis 2 is not working with MegaFlashROM. The game requires you to switch disks to begin the game, and the game crashes on MegaFlashROM when swapping disks, whether using Sofarun or not. The same crashes occur on an emulator too. Physical disks might be the only way with this game.

So, um, yeah, need to run Valis 2. Help please.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Sorry to hear you're having probs with the MFR, I played and completed Wanderer From Ys with lots of disk-swapping of virtual floppy disks and had no problems.

The floppy drive being inaccessible on boot is new to me, I don't have a builtin drive in my FS-A1 but used an external drive and I think I put some data on an empty disk after booting to BASIC with the MFR cart inserted. I don't have the external drive anymore so I can't check, tho.

Do you run Valis 2 from real floppy disks or from .dsk images?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I can't run Valis 2 from the disks, because it's a game we don't own on MSX this time. I'd need to make disks.

Yeah, my brother and I have become experts at running disk images and swapping disks. It usually works great, but English patched and unpatched Valis 2 both crash when switching disks.

I don't think what you're describing will work. When I booted straight to Basic I was able to format a floppy, but the SD card is completely inaccessible as a disk without booting Nextor, which can't find the floppy on my FS-A1F.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I have an ancient image creator program called FloImg which needs an old Windows version to run, I use it on an old HP laptop with Win2000. It's capable of creating and writing MSX compatible images (among other formats) so I would probably use that to make the real disks for Valis 2. I'm sure there's something like it for modern systems as well. If you want I could send you FloImg, maybe there's some old PC hardware you could use it on.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I need it to be for ancient systems. The system I have with a floppy drive is running XP, so that makes MSX Floppy Disk Manager a no-go.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
@Takumaji Thanks. I did manage to get disks working using Disk-Manager (http://www.lexlechz.at/en/software.html). I couldn't quite figure out FloImg. And yes, having real disks did make everything work.

You just format the disks on the MSX, and then write them in Windows with Disk-Manager. I didn't realize it was so easy to make MSX disks with Windows. That's not the case with a lot of other old Japanese PC's.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
@Takumaji Thanks. I did manage to get disks working using Disk-Manager (http://www.lexlechz.at/en/software.html). I couldn't quite figure out FloImg. And yes, having real disks did make everything work.

You just format the disks on the MSX, and then write them in Windows with Disk-Manager. I didn't realize it was so easy to make MSX disks with Windows. That's not the case with a lot of other old Japanese PC's.
I do that with floppies for various other systems as well, for example my Atari STs, the Mirage keyboard sampler, Akai S2000 sampler, MSX and C64. Most of the time you don't even have to format the disks before, just write the image to them and you're fine.

FloImg is nice because it supports a lot of different formats but still, thanks for the link to Diskmaster, it's nice to have an image writer for MSX floppies that runs on more current Windows versions.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member

Play it online in a browser

I've been trying to get it to play and now that I've got it fired up I think it needs a keyboard and I need to find instructions and a walk-through.