Super Turbo: Guile now blows super hard. Help?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Should I just give up on Guile in Super Turbo? Each SF2 game, they keep making him worse and worse. Now it's to the point that I don't even want to play him anymore. His gained moves are almost useless. His standing fierce, while looking cool, blows. His standing RH, on paper, is a nice move, but doesn't have enough range. And don't get me started on how hard it is to pull of his super, and how little damage it can do... and how open you are if you miss. I know his ducking MK is amazing, but can anyone help me make Guile a power house? Any tips on how to pull that super off easier, or should I just select old guile instead (again, this is ST, not AE). Thanks,

Spike

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If you're a Guile player all you need are sonic boom, crouching forward kick and razor kick and thats it. Guile is a more defensive player but if you know how to use him then you can adapt EASILY.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Xian Xi said:
If you're a Guile player all you need are sonic boom, crouching forward kick and razor kick and thats it. Guile is a more defensive player but if you know how to use him then you can adapt EASILY.

I need to know a lot more than that, my friend. I'm talking strats. Like his forward MK is godly, I've found. He's got a good cross up with his jumping short. Razor kick? You mean flash kick? I need more help than this. ;)

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
Spike Spiegel said:
Should I just give up on Guile in Super Turbo? Each SF2 game, they keep making him worse and worse. Now it's to the point that I don't even want to play him anymore. His gained moves are almost useless. His standing fierce, while looking cool, blows. His standing RH, on paper, is a nice move, but doesn't have enough range. And don't get me started on how hard it is to pull of his super, and how little damage it can do... and how open you are if you miss. I know his ducking MK is amazing, but can anyone help me make Guile a power house? Any tips on how to pull that super off easier, or should I just select old guile instead (again, this is ST, not AE). Thanks,

Spike

Guile is nerfed but he's still a very good fighter. It all depends on what fighters you are up against.

His standing fierce(straight punch, not backhand)works as a great anti air if you time it right.

Standing RH has some decent priority and it keeps you in range when you are putting pressure on an opponent in the corner.

You are totally WRONG about Guile's super. It is one of the most damaging supers in the game and devastating in a combo. That is where your problem is...you are not using his super in the best situations. Xup short, low short, low short super is an insane option select combo that I always see in tourney vids. The super should only be used if you are connecting in a combo or to escape tick damage.

His low fwd kick is ok...it has less range and priority that it used to but it's still a good normal attack.

Kurahashi Guile is one of Japan's best players and his Guile is insane. He beat John Choi's OG Sagat at the Super Battle Opera Nation Tournament not too long ago. Choi's OG Sagat is quite possibly the sickest there is, and Kurahashi beat him with Guile.

You should get on Zbattle Zsnes so I can show you some Guile strats. Yeah, I know its not Super SF2 Turbo but it is SSF2 and that's pretty close.

ni-ten

War Room Troll
The key to success with guile is patience.
Its cr. sonic boom x100 and if ur opponent loses his patience -> Flashkick him.
When u have knocked the other guy down go for crossup combos with j. short(charge in air to downforward which becomes down backward as you cross) -> cr. strong -> flashkick(release charge).
Ah,yes and don't get caught in fireball traps :)

Kurahashi is really nice to watch.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
jsjesse said:
You should get on Zbattle Zsnes so I can show you some Guile strats. Yeah, I know its not Super SF2 Turbo but it is SSF2 and that's pretty close.

After owning both on the arcade, I think I would vomit trying to play those. And no, Super and Super Turbo aren't close at all. I've gotten a lot better with Guile since this post. I'll check out some match vids. thanks!

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
Spike Spiegel said:
After owning both on the arcade, I think I would vomit trying to play those. And no, Super and Super Turbo aren't close at all. I've gotten a lot better with Guile since this post. I'll check out some match vids. thanks!

:rolleyes:

Dude, I know the SNES games are totally inferior to owning arcade hardware but the game is still SF and if you get spanked on a 16 bit version chances are you will get spanked on all the others.

The only reason I suggested Zbattle/Zsnes was simply to practice. It blows Kailera out of the water and the games are virtually lag free if you both players on on broadband connections. You claim to have gotten "better" and I just wanted to see just how much better you got. I play Guile quite well and I could probably show you a few things.

Super and Super Turbo are close if you take into account the ability to choose the SSF versions of each character.

In both versions of Guile in ST are quite different.

OG Guile has a much faster recovery on his sonic boom which makes him a solid character.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I thank you for the help, but I'm better than I'm leading on.... I've played online here with some guys, so they could vouch for me. I'll just have to play a bit more and get used to his strange moveset. Again, I've gotten a great deal better and know now what moves to use and which to shy away from unless in certain situations. Thanks man.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:

if you think super x guile is weak,you are crazy

you must not be very good at all

forward hk isn't useless

his super does little damage ???!

there's isn't a single super in this game that does "little damage"

yes,there's an easier way to pull it off

you don't need to input the 3 directions after the charge,
only 2 are needed :kekeke:

so you can do crouch mp > super more easily ( this does like 70 % of damage eh ) :shame:

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
Spike Spiegel said:
I thank you for the help, but I'm better than I'm leading on.... I've played online here with some guys, so they could vouch for me. I'll just have to play a bit more and get used to his strange moveset. Again, I've gotten a great deal better and know now what moves to use and which to shy away from unless in certain situations. Thanks man.

You only get truly better by playing better players. If by getting better you mean your combos and execution have improved then that's great.

I can't speak for those here on the board so I dont know just how good the local neo comp is for SF2 games but if you want to play some serious hardcore SF2(any of them SF2-SSF2X) just let me know.

Good luck with Guile.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I was under the impression that Guile was a high tier character in SSF2T. It seems like I've seen him in a lot of match vids before.

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
Fran said:
if you think super x guile is weak,you are crazy

you must not be very good at all

forward hk isn't useless

his super does little damage ???!

there's isn't a single super in this game that does "little damage"

yes,there's an easier way to pull it off

you don't need to input the 3 directions after the charge,
only 2 are needed :kekeke:

so you can do crouch mp > super more easily ( this does like 70 % of damage eh ) :shame:

hey fran, right now i dont have my ps2 here so i was trying the rom of ssf2t, as i havent played the game for some time now. i was playing on kb and noticed i couldnt do the super for guile on the kb during combos. when just doing the super i do: db (2sec), df, ub+K, no problems at all. now when i try to do it in a combo like: j+HP, cMP, super but instead of the super he does a sonic boom as the cpu still remembers cMP for some reason, same shit sometimes happens in other capcom games like the alpha series. any recommendations for better chances of nailing the motherfucker.

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
MUSOLINI said:
hey fran, right now i dont have my ps2 here so i was trying the rom of ssf2t, as i havent played the game for some time now. i was playing on kb and noticed i couldnt do the super for guile on the kb during combos. when just doing the super i do: db (2sec), df, ub+K, no problems at all. now when i try to do it in a combo like: j+HP, cMP, super but instead of the super he does a sonic boom as the cpu still remembers cMP for some reason, same shit sometimes happens in other capcom games like the alpha series. any recommendations for better chances of nailing the motherfucker.

Your sonic boom is coming out because you are probably not doing the motion correctly. You think you are but you aren't.

The correct way is
downleft.gif
downright.gif
downleft.gif
up.gif
kick.gif

One way to guarantee that the boom doesn't come out is to hold the punch button down and do not release it. When you press a button it counts as 2 inputs(once when you press and once when you release). When you are realeasing you are negative edging the sonic boom. By holding the punch button down you eliminate the second input. Try it and see what I mean.

racecar

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
20 Year Member
guile's crouching block position and is the best defensive/offensive position you can do the flash kick/sonic boom/HK double sweep..
or the old school combothat starts with thejumping punch (2 move when you landthen...) ending it with the flash kick

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Everything has pretty much said that needed to be said, however I will stand by the comment that his super really isn't that good. Sure, it's good in combos (what super that can combo isn't good in combos in ST?), but it lacks what most other supers have in that it can't zone and shut down other character's strats (much like boxer's punch, Ryu's fireball, and Chun's leg super (which has a bs stored charge thing)). The thing is, Guile doesn't need the super because he isn't dependant on it. He's a poking character and most of his damage don't even come from combos (although when a combo presents itself he has very good high damaging, option select combos/super combos).

ST Guile owns hard. I'd love to figure out and play you on Zbattle jsjesse. I think I played you on Hyper AE on XBL but don't remember. I'm a ST Ryu/Guile player.

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
Wes said:
ST Guile owns hard. I'd love to figure out and play you on Zbattle jsjesse. I think I played you on Hyper AE on XBL but don't remember. I'm a ST Ryu/Guile player.

Ask and you shall receive. Just know that the grafx do suck(it's a snes emulator)but the gameplay quality is better than anything I have ever played and I have played everything from Xband to Xbox Live. Either the games run perfectly lag free or the games are unplayable. There is no inbetween. Until Kailera or XBox Live can top this kind of quality online gameplay I will be sticking with this.

Click here http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73384

Just note that all you really need are Zsnes 1.36, Latest version of Zbattle and of course the roms.

Just yesterday I was playing someone at SF2 Hyper Fighting. I forgot just how nasty HF Ryu was. His corner traps and hurricane kicks are insane in that version.

If you still need help getting on Zbattle just let me know.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
That's ok. I mean, I agree with you that SF on SNES is still SF, even with a few tweaks. I played Vintage on Hyper XBL and he gave me a good run, and he prefers the ports. I have Zsnes and the complete romset, so it's only a matter of figuring out zbattle. I'll check out that thread and hopefully be able to bust heads with the best of them. Thanks!

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
Wes said:
That's ok. I mean, I agree with you that SF on SNES is still SF, even with a few tweaks. I played Vintage on Hyper XBL and he gave me a good run, and he prefers the ports. I have Zsnes and the complete romset, so it's only a matter of figuring out zbattle. I'll check out that thread and hopefully be able to bust heads with the best of them. Thanks!

Oh GAWD....Vintage and his brother....I used to play them back in 94-95 on Xband Super SF2. Those fools would WHINE all day about how cheap I was with throws and now they claim to be pad pros:kekeke: They are probably the best turtlers you will ever face and have insane fireball traps. About as boring and as basic as you can get(which I can respect) but they are nothing like me and my playstyle(super aggressive).

Just be sure to get a good USB stick or a pad. I recommend the Saitek p220 pad. its 10 bux at your local gamestop and it rocks! Perfect 6 button layout for SF2 games.

Guile is one of my favorites to play lately. I been using random backhands to stuff out everything from jump ins to projectiles. It really pisses off alot of players who are afraid to even stand up much less move forward or try to attack.:lolz:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I love Guile in all his forms. He's a sick bastard with some great kicks. I've never needed anything else but his flashkick and sonic boom to take down the scrubs

pellucidity

Rugal's Thug
jsjesse said:
Just be sure to get a good USB stick or a pad. I recommend the Saitek p220 pad. its 10 bux at your local gamestop and it rocks! Perfect 6 button layout for SF2 games.

I'm not a Guile player so all I'll add here is this: how to make a USB JP Saturn pad. If you liked the Japanese Saturn pad, this is the way to go. I think it's the best controller with 6 face buttons (not that there are many)

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Does Guile have his knee in Super Turbo? I always thought he had, but it's been a little while since I played ST Guile. If he has it, then that's a big bread and butter for him. (Which is often Back+MK)

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Kirk Foiden said:
Does Guile have his knee in Super Turbo? I always thought he had, but it's been a little while since I played ST Guile. If he has it, then that's a big bread and butter for him. (Which is often Back+MK)

He does, but his knee's not half as good as his forward-MK (jumping roundhouse that moves forward). His knee is now the SK button. Almost all his moves and his ranges/hit boxes have changed properties in one way or another.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Spike Spiegel said:
He does, but his knee's not half as good as his forward-MK (jumping roundhouse that moves forward). His knee is now the SK button. Almost all his moves and his ranges/hit boxes have changed properties in one way or another.

WOW! The knee has Never been nerfed before. You sure about this?

A shame because that knee was the secret to a major Guile offensive.

It was:

1. A move that can advance Guile while charging. (Something no command move, that relies on any forward motion to activate, can do)
2. Had good mid-level priority which had good block stun and decent hit stun.
3. Was used as a linker in many Guile combos.
4. Was relatively safe to throw out, preceeding opponent's move, and not too punishable.
5. Had a knee so good, that B.B. Hood pretty much copied it, and had similar uses in the Vampire series. (Her knee's anti-air properties were probably a little better, on average)
6. Was apparently (before this game) never nerfed much, even in pocket form.

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Kirk Foiden said:
WOW! The knee has Never been nerfed before. You sure about this?

A shame because that knee was the secret to a major Guile offensive.

It's not been nerfed, it's been moved... and bettered. His standing RH, his forawrd FK both are better for pressure now. The knee was very VERY easy to punish, anyhow. Side note: Ash reminds me of a Guile remodel with his kicks that move both forward and back while keeping a charge, BTW.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Spike Spiegel said:
The knee was very VERY easy to punish, anyhow. Side note: Ash reminds me of a Guile remodel with his kicks that move both forward and back while keeping a charge, BTW.

Yeah. I understand that about ASH. I kind of started using that stuff the moment I picked him up. His knee can be easy to punish when just thrown haphazardly.

I guess, I'm always used to using that knee in the middle of things, primarily. Usually, ducking jabs could cause just enough stun to give a follow-up knee hit box priority, forcing the opponent to keep blocking or get hit. Then they dealt with the block stun of the knee where they are still probably nervous about counter-attacking, because they're still at hit-disadvantage and would normally lose an attempted trade with most Guile normals or specials. B.B. Hood, by far, had better priority of the knee on its own. Still, it also played well with the distance game as a free-movement to offset a charge move.

However, if he has better movement moves, that do the same thing but better, then I'll definitely need to look further into these moves. They may offer a higher offensive for Offensive Guile play.