Starfox Command DS JPN Out!

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
I read this was supposed to be out today, but have either missed any reviews, or there simply hasn't been any reviews, yet the game is definitely on the shelves.

Anyone heard anything about this? Has it been discreetly pushed into release without letting any reviewers getting their hands on it because it is a stinker?

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
I read this was supposed to be out today, but have either missed any reviews, or there simply hasn't been any reviews, yet the game is definitely on the shelves.

Anyone heard anything about this? Has it been discreetly pushed into release without letting any reviewers getting their hands on it because it is a stinker?

NCSX.Com has it in stock and has a small write up on it. I was thinking about importing it but I will probably just wait for a USA release. It does appear to offer some single card/multi-player play, which is a plus.

hanafuda

Looks like Famitsu have reviewed it a week later than normal:

Star Fox Command (NDS, Nintendo): 8, 8, 8, 8 - (32/40)

Not a shabby score at all.

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
unless there is a magical option, nintendo fucked up what made starfox starfox (with forced touch screen input for flight).

GRRRRRRrrrrrrr......

Rts stuff is not bad but only being able to controll flying via touch screen is like a kick in the nuts to starfox & starfox64 fans.

hanafuda

subbie said:
unless there is a magical option, nintendo fucked up what made starfox starfox (with forced touch screen input for flight).

GRRRRRRrrrrrrr......

Rts stuff is not bad but only being able to controll flying via touch screen is like a kick in the nuts to starfox & starfox64 fans.

Well, I played the original Starfox a lot at the time, but moving it to touch only control isn't something I'm going to lose sleep over.

I read through the Famitsu reviews today, and they all basically said that the touch pen control is very good when you get used to it, and that the usage of the two screens, while simple, is very effective.

Still, I'm going to get Touch! Bomberman World instead, and blow the crap out of my colleagues.

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
hanafudaX said:
Well, I played the original Starfox a lot at the time, but moving it to touch only control isn't something I'm going to lose sleep over.

I read through the Famitsu reviews today, and they all basically said that the touch pen control is very good when you get used to it, and that the usage of the two screens, while simple, is very effective.

Still, I'm going to get Touch! Bomberman World instead, and blow the crap out of my colleagues.

The touch screen controlls work after some time but still are not as great as Starfox64 controlls. The touch screen reeks of forced mechanics vs an altenative & intuitive option (ala mario 3v3).

The game over all is still good & the rts parts are not bad but as a starfox fan it just is heavly disapoiting as it's not the same.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
subbie said:
The touch screen controlls work after some time but still are not as great as Starfox64 controlls. The touch screen reeks of forced mechanics vs an altenative & intuitive option (ala mario 3v3).

The game over all is still good & the rts parts are not bad but as a starfox fan it just is heavly disapoiting as it's not the same.

I have not played it yet, so I can't really comment on whether I will like the stylus controls or not.

However, I will say that games that use the stylus (other than a Kirby or Nintendogs which is designed for the stylus) should offer some other traditional control set ups. Even more so, if it is an existing franchise that has had a traditional control set up in the past.

I will be buying this game regardless. I do have a several games in my collection though that offer both stylus and traditional control and I rarely use the stylus control option.

hanafuda

I nearly always use touch pen when I can:

Super Mario 64
Advance Wars DS

Etc.

The only time I don't is when I am standing up on the train or similar.