SOTM May 2024: Same! Same! Same! (Fireshark) MD

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
You don't really want to use autofire with the flamethrower as there are times when you'll need the weapon firing forward on all streams, and not having streams rotating to the side/rear.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
You don't really want to use autofire with the flamethrower as there are times when you'll need the weapon firing forward on all streams, and not having streams rotating to the side/rear.
I had tried autofire with the red beam earlier in the week and it was unplayable. It shoots an abbreviated beam out from one's ship.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
My dudes, this game is fucking persistent with the weapon changes. It’s like if you avoid picking up a weapon they throw 3 more powerups at you, like “USE THIS WEAPON NOW”. I swear I die more trying to avoid the weapon items more than anything else.
I just want to stick to spread dammit

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
My dudes, this game is fucking persistent with the weapon changes. It’s like if you avoid picking up a weapon they throw 3 more powerups at you, like “USE THIS WEAPON NOW”. I swear I die more trying to avoid the weapon items more than anything else.
I just want to stick to spread dammit
Do you happen to have a full bomb stock? The shmups wiki quotes:
"Another feature of the item system to be wary of is the item substitution system. If an item is scheduled to drop that one already has the maximum amount of it will be substituted with either a blue or green weapon change item, determined randomly. For instance, if one has the maximum 10 bombs in stock and destroys a submarine containing a bomb in stage 8, a bomb will not be dropped but instead either a blue or green item will be dropped in its place. Similarly there are 4 speed items in the drop cycle but maximum speed is reached after collecting just three of these. This means that the fourth of these will usually not appear as a speed item but instead be substituted with either a blue or a green weapon change item."

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
BerryTogart - 346,400 - Stage 4 (see Hi Score in screenshot)

signal-2024-05-17-215054_002.jpeg

Got a few more rounds in - this time with better results thanks to the thread feedback. (Did stick to spreadshot with autofire)

Also: Triple greens without a full bomb stock... (would have to check the drop table again to see what's happening here)
signal-2024-05-17-215054_003.jpeg