Sony public point about PSP games zones: region free

barf

Maxima's Barber
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/01/25/news_6117098.html

When contacted by GameSpot, Sony Computer Entertainment America representatives were quick to dispel the rumors. "It is a 'work in progress' manual," said one rep. "The PSP adopts both 'worldwide' and 'regional' code system. For PSP games, we have adopted a worldwide code system, and as previously disclosed, games are region free."

apparently, they have started reprinting games with no zone indication for games (ridge racers boxes have been reprinted)

it s not that i care too much but that will be more convenient :)

Sony publicly claims the games will work, but their own manual clearly states they will not.

I'm sorry, my level of faith in Sony is low. Other people might have more, but if this doesn't make the importing of a PSP a questionable affair I don't know what does. For people that haven't imported yet: Hold off two months. We're talking two months. That way, if Sony's public statements are false, you're not totally shafted.

son_of_bael

Host for Orochi
An article in Edge said that Sony has left it up to publishers to decide whether to make games region coded or not (like MS did with the xbox). Could be wrong though...

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
jethrek said:
For people that haven't imported yet: Hold off two months.

I think I can do much better than that.

son_of_bael said:
An article in Edge said that Sony has left it up to publishers to decide whether to make games region coded or not (like MS did with the xbox). Could be wrong though...

I suspect that is what they're doing, and the people with imported PSP's have been screwed. Having a region-logo on some games and not others just doesn't add up to "region free".

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
the whole arguement for region coding is because different
companies or "labels" pick up the games and bring it out
to the respective regions, like capcom brought out gta in japan
or how mastiff brought out some obscure jp games to the US.
it's those companies that lose out on the games being region free
and ultimatly them that lose out finacially. this is the reason why
companies like eb's and software etc never got into import games
(other than brief stints) in cooperation with companies stateside who
may decide to bring the game out to the US.
anyways, region free is always good for the gamers of course.
it's interesting that sony would take a stand to make them region free though.