someone bought neogeo console in early 90 ? or in summer 1990?

Zellez

King's Dry Cleaner
Bought my first one around 1995. Was a beat PAL console without box and with a Mega Drive/Genesis AC adapter.
Used to buy approximately one, max two games per year (was still a student, so not much income at the time :D) starting from Fatal Fury -> Samurai Showdown 2 -> Soccer Brawl -> Andro Dunos -> Ninja Commando -> World Heroes 2 -> King of Fighters 96...

In 2000 I managed to get a new one (that I still own) with box and everything else and registered on eBay to sell the first one (my very first feedback on eBay. The console went to a Spanish guy).

Forgot to say that the first game, Fatal Fury, came in with a xerox manual. The seller swore that it was original, and at the time I just had to accept it that way :annoyed:

Last edited:

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Unfortunately haven't bought one up to this day. (Saw one in London when I was young but too short on money to afford it)

shiryu7

Quiz Detective
Purchased my first console that came as a bundle off eBay in '02, IIRC (s-video and region switch modded). Games included were Eightman, this other game I can't remember, and Ninja Combat (NC was what I was really after). My first real, big game purchase was LB1 through some webstore. Hadn't gotten too familiar with the Neo library yet and had no idea what a great game I was buying - it certainly raised my standards.

Xionicist

NEST Puppet
A good friend of mine bought his AES in late 92 from a local Babbages if I remember correctly. He gave it to me in 1998, and I still have it to this day. Doesn't see a ton of play with the four MVS cabs currently in the arcade, but I'd never even think about getting rid of it.

NEOFREAK9189

Sakura's Bank Manager
20 Year Member
me and my friend we got 1 neogeo aes and 6 games in summer 1995 later we trade for 2 new playstation 1 system games launch date
later in 2002 I go mod neogeo aes from a Member SNK4EVER he died late 2002 I still have that aes system

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I picked up a used Art of Fighting in 1992 because it looked amazing. Eventually bought a used Japanese AES plus View Point in 1994 for 150 Pounds. I remember the picture quality being worse than my SNES or Genesis and most games were too expensive for me at the time. This pissed my off and I resold it about a year later but soon regretted my decision and bought a Neo CD, which I still have to this day.

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
I remember seeing the games in a video store in the early 90's, but I'm very happy that I didn't buy the system/games at that time...

... I've gone through too many systems where I bought new, then traded everything in for the next best thing. Knowing how I did things back then, I would have bought the Neo Geo AES + games, and then trade them in for the PS2 or something. I would never have forgiven myself for that, so it's best that I left the Neo untouched until 2013 :drool_2:

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
I bought mine several years ago, then a second one some months after that. The only thing better than a Neo Geo is two of them.

Maybe one day I'll find two cheap copies of Thrash Rally so I can link em up.

sometimes i wonder how many people actually did this back in the day.

Of the few people that actually bought an AES back in the day, fewer yet bought thrash rally. Then you'd have to find somebody else that also had an AES and thrash rally to link them up. I bet the number of people that actually ever linked AES's back in the 90s is probably only in the double digits. haha

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
My friend got one in 1995 or 1996 and I was so jealous, we'd stay up all night playing Samurai Shodown III. I never saw an AES again, to this day I still don't own one, but have a few MVS's now. I'd like an AES but the price of games for it makes me not even bother. MVS carts are expensive as it is =/.

1badmutha

n00b
Bought my first gold aes used in summer '92 with 6 games for $600. The guy I bought it from thought his SNES system had better games for that then the neo geo had lol. I kept it for 15 years, sold it and my collection of 30 games around 2007 and I just bought a boxed gold aes last month. Being out of the neo scene for 7 years now and seeing the prices for aes carts now its blowin my mind how crazy the prices are!

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Bought my first gold aes used in summer '92 with 6 games for $600. The guy I bought it from thought his SNES system had better games for that then the neo geo had lol.

All things considered I think thats a fair observation :D

RockstarRunner

Wind Jammin' All Night",
Saw one in a local game store in '91, but finally purchased my own in '04 With FFS & SS2. Like was mentioned above, I had an awful habit of trading in a console to go towards the next gen machines coming out :-( so no-doubt I would not still have the original in some case where I did happen to have tons of money back then.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
December 25, 1991, Neo Geo Gold system with Magician Lord, Memory Card and Sengoku.

Bought for me by then girlfriend as a Christmas gift from Electronics Boutique, Broadway Mall, Hicksville, New York.

You never forget your first Neo...

daybona

Juz,
December 25, 1991, Neo Geo Gold system with Magician Lord, Memory Card and Sengoku.

Bought for me by then girlfriend as a Christmas gift from Electronics Boutique, Broadway Mall, Hicksville, New York.

You never forget your first Neo...

Best gf Eva!

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Wanted one - remember when Fatal Fury 2 came out and would've bought one but just didn't have the money. I also remember drooling over the rolling demo of Last Resort. Bought a Turbografx16 CDRom instead which I don't regret. Bought a neo geo mobo and a supergun [MAS supernova] back in the late 90's I guess? Never looked back. The AES still tempts me to this day, but my CMVS helps keep me from going down that road.

kris79

Cheng's Errand Boy
Bought mine online in 1998. I remember seeing it at Toys R Us displayed behind a glass case with Magician Lord playing. I was in awe at the graphics and then when I went to the game wall and saw the tickets of the games. They were priced at $199.99 a piece. I remember seeing Baseball Stars, Blues Journey, Ghost Pilots...all the launch titles. That was the first time I saw it in person and I think it was 1990. The Neo Geo did not really gain traction until Fatal Fury 1 came out.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
I got my Neo Geo AES in December last year. Originally I owned an MVS which i got in november the same year but i was kinda noob at the time. I left the switch to pause the game on after I turned off my MVS. And as people may know it wont start until you turn this pause switch off which led me to believe that my MVS was broken. So i bought an AES and a converter as i was just so furious about it just to realize few days later that i am stupid.
Anyways i dont regret because in fact i always wanted having an AES, my was MVS just some beginner system to get for cheap money into neo geo games.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I got my Neo Geo AES in December last year. Originally I owned an MVS which i got in november the same year but i was kinda noob at the time. I left the switch to pause the game on after I turned off my MVS. And as people may know it wont start until you turn this pause switch off which led me to believe that my MVS was broken. So i bought an AES and a converter as i was just so furious about it just to realize few days later that i am stupid.
Anyways i dont regret because in fact i always wanted having an AES, my was MVS just some beginner system to get for cheap money into neo geo games.

And now your collection is full of conversions. Cool story bro.

Namnuta

Quiz Detective
I dreamed of owning a Neo when it first came out, but it seemed so expensive. Played probably about that amount in the arcades though. Bought my AES in 2004 when i started collecting consoles. It had to be my first. Picked up a bundle with 10 games. Sent it to Jeff Kurts for some component love and i still have it today. Will probably never sell it.