Some thoughts about Namco

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Anyway. Of course, contemplating about their latest Dig Dug release(which is technically a new game, even if it uses elements from the past games), I couldn't help but think about some of their other games that they have neglected to re-release. I know we've gotten nearly every pacman game, but I'm wondering why the last system I played Jr. Pacman for, was on the Commodore 64. Is there some particular reason why Namco can't release Jr. Pacman in a collection or something? I understand Baby Pacman, because that was both a pinball machine and a videogame. (A very innovative strategy of which I almost wish I owned one of those (if they weren't so hard to maintain)).

Then it hit me. With today's technology to produce pretty good representative video pinball games, and Nintendo's Dual Screen DS unit; we may finally have a medium that solves every potential problem in porting the game and making it more or less arcade authentic. Heck, while not perfect, we do have Gotleib's collection of Pinball games made into video form, and they had multiple machines in it. I almost wonder if Namco could be talked into doing such a release. But then again, who knows what they think is worth it, these day. Jr. Pacman could be just as easily ported as any other, and yet even Super Pacman gets the shaft in a collection (just as easily portable). I figure, if the Commodore 64 can do it, why can't the rest of these guys?

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Namco didnt make Jr. Pacman.

It was an unlicensed game produced without their permission.

They did make Super Pacman, but well, Super Pacman sucked.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Wow. Didn't realize that Namco had nothing to do with Jr. Pacman. I even saw the sit-down bar-style cabinet of that game. A shame, since it was a pretty good version, with some extras to it. And yes, while Super Pacman wasn't all that good, it seemed a simple thing to put in with the rest of the Pacman games. It's not like I liked Pacmania all that much, either, but it always comes back. I still always remembered figuring out the method of attack for Super Pacman and blasting through as many levels as I can. You eventually lose, but I tell you, it was one game in which you can get in a state of just beating levels left and right.

I'm guessing Baby Pacman also falls into that unlicensed area. It just wasn't clear since I'm finding places that says Jr. Pacman was unlicensed, but not Baby Pacman. Maybe they are implying it since Bally/Midway were the developers. (Still, you can be a different developer and get the license, but I'm guessing that's not the case.)

Last edited:

Mayhem

Zero's Secretary
Ditto Ms Pacman as well. Yeah, Midway produced a number of unlicensed sequels after getting the US rights to Pacman. These include Ms Pacman, Jr Pacman, Pacman Plus and Baby Pacman. Which is why Namco terminated the licensing agreement and Pacland came out (I believe) in the US under the Namco label.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Interesting. So if what you're saying about Ms. Pacman is true, then Namco really shouldn't have any issue about putting the others in a collection, given Ms. Pacman made it into every release and is distributed free (courtesy of Namco) in Xbox Live Arcade.