So looks like the 2014 Game of the Year will be released on 9/16...

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
ha I'm just playing around - I could never hate you guys...

Right now I'm kinda on the fence if I should just pick up the standard version of the game, or just hold out a bit and see if I can snag the collectors edition on ebay. Right now, there's a ton at around the $115 mark....I'd probably bite if I can find one for $100...given I think it was selling for $80 in the S-E store - a $20 penalty for my foolishness seems fair...

If I dont find one by the weekend online, then I'll probably just cave and buy the regular edition.

Go buy a vanilla copy. Should you find a CE later, you can always take the copy out of the CE and return it to wherever you bought the vanilla copy for a refund.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
That's what I do in the rare instance I want a collectors edition. Picked up a demons souls collectors edition pieces for $15.00 a few months ago instead of buying the whole edition for 80.00

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
ha I'm just playing around - I could never hate you guys...

Right now I'm kinda on the fence if I should just pick up the standard version of the game, or just hold out a bit and see if I can snag the collectors edition on ebay. Right now, there's a ton at around the $115 mark....I'd probably bite if I can find one for $100...given I think it was selling for $80 in the S-E store - a $20 penalty for my foolishness seems fair...

If I dont find one by the weekend online, then I'll probably just cave and buy the regular edition.

Just get it and play it. Worry about swag when you can find it for cheap.~

xxjimmypxx

Rugal's Thug
I missed out on the CE too. I was looking on Ebay last night, I just can't justify paying the extra cash for the flippers on there. I'll pick up a regular copy tomorrow, I put a good 70 hours into the first one.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Anyone have a mini review?

Not much to say that hasn't been said already. It's a lot of fun. Already broke 10k Rythmia and still going strong. I've been mainly unlocking characters and clearing every song on Basic and Expert modes which thereafter I'm going to do them all on Ultimate. There's a lot of neat extras that already stands out in this game which keeps me coming back for more. The DLC options is there but there's an error on trying to connect but that's probably due to the server not being up yet since those of us who got the game early arn't supposed to be able to download content until the "Street Date".

Great game and so happy I threw down for this early.

Last edited:

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
My copy should arrive today... I can not fathom how an item sits in NJ for 5 days and then mysteriously arrives at my local post office. It takes less than a day to arrive from NJ by any normal means. I'm guessing the courier took it with him to the movies, out with his girlfriend and probably a few nights on the town before actually dropping it off to USPS because otherwise, it would have been to my house 3 days early.

Edit: Well mine arrived today with an outer box that was creased at the bottom and several other small dents in the corners of the box. Very disappointed that it took so long to get here and then was damaged either during manufacturing, handling or shipping.

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
OK, I sunk about 8 hours into the game the last few days. Probably should have spent that time doing my calculus and computer science school work. Game is very addicting. It is my opinion, one of those games you keep forever. There is so much content it's ridiculous. You would think a rhythm game would be short and hopefully sweet. But this game is incredibly long. I just spent 2 hours doing 1 long medley quest. There are probably a lot more.

As far as characters go, there are a ton. 60 I think before DLC, and Yuffie is up for purchase now. I am a bit disappointed that there are various versions of the same character. For example there are 2 Tifa's. It would have been cool to have someone else instead of a variant double. I could understand Dark Knight Cecil, and Paladin Cecil, but 2 characters from different games is kind of a waste in my opinion. Yang would have been cool, or Vincent. Maybe they are in the game, but I have yet to unlock them.

For the songs, there is a crazy amount. Almost 300 after DLC. By the way there are 2 free DLC songs up for 2 weeks. Again I am slightly disappointed with the songs. But hopefully they will release some of my favorites like Tifa's theme of Final Fantasy VII main theme Piano. Or what I would really liek to see is that song from the play online viewer options screen where there are the portraits of all the moogles. I wish I knew what that song was called so I could find it on you tube.

There is a online to my surprise. Didn't know until I unlocked it. It is pretty fun, but hard. The other players can really mess you up with the random effects. I am also uncertain how the system works. I clearly had better hits in most my games, but received a lower score. For example no bad or misses, and more critical hits than my opponent, but still managed to lose due to score. I also noticed they all seem to be battle matches, not field matches. So I am not certain if you need to come swinging with a high attack party. I noticed I would deplete my opponents life before the song was even halfway over, be full life, have better criticals, and never manage to win due to score, or depleting their life.

All in all my gripes are nothing major. The game is damn good. Anyone who is a fan of the series, and enjoyed the music needs to get this game. With the online, and Ultimate scores to master SSS rank, you could play forever and still never do everything. Unless you are some Theatarhythm master. I never see myself even getting SS ranks on all the Ultimate songs. Most are incredibly hard.

Last edited:

Bean_Bandit

New Challenger
I didn't play the first one due to not having a 3DS until last week.
What method are you all using to play? So far I prefer stylus, but waves of diagonal swipes are THE WORST.

Also, is there a way to tell that the hold notes are going to end in a swipe before the end of the hold pops up? I keep getting caught off guard on them.

xxjimmypxx

Rugal's Thug
I haven't picked the new one up yet, but in the first one, you get used to them pretty quickly. The hold notes ending in swipes never really threw my for a loop, it was always the rotating swipes on ultimate that I had the most trouble on.

I'm hoping to run out this evening to grab curtain call, I almost downloaded it from the Eshop because I haven't had time to run out to get it yet. I'm not big on digital downloads though.

xxjimmypxx

Rugal's Thug
I picked Curtain Call up on Thursday night and put a few hours onto it. So far, I'm really liking the Quest Mode.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Picked up the Collector's Edition from GS (they had one for sale for the same cost as the regular edition so i said fuck it). Seems like a ton of fun for now, but havent sunk in too uch time due to running around all over the place tonight.

xxjimmypxx

Rugal's Thug
Nice. I've sunk a little over 8 hours into it already, I've got most of the critical charts filled on Basic and Expert for Final Fantasy IV. Ultimate seems a little easier in Curtain Call then it was in the original, almost like its a little more forgiving hitting notes.

Have you guys tried using buttons instead of the stylus? I did a few songs earlier, I'll play around with it a little more, but I still like using the stylus more.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I wanna thank this thread for the heads up. The GF is loving the game and making me curious all together.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Any tips on clearing those green lines you have to move up and down? I always fuck those up.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
They are a bit harder than the original game. Mainly because that stupid ring covers your ring. It's my main gripe of the game really. Plus you have to be firm or it says you release. First just kind of feel it out instead of staring at that ring. If you have issues running out of screen room like me, try while moving up or down using a circular motion to move left of right. I find myself always moving circular so I don't hit the edge of the screen.

xxjimmypxx

Rugal's Thug
I bump the bottom of the screen some times too. One thing I still have problems with are when they move up and down really fast, I get a lot of Bad's and misses on them. I had to take a few days off of playing, I feel arthritis kicking in haha.