so i went to wal-mart...

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I plan on getting a DS this week for Castlevania and a few other games that interest me. The screens are BACKLIT, right? Not that front-lit shit? Are the colors washed out? I've only seen the banged up Nintendogs demo models in Gaystop. Now I'm worried about the screens, since I am spoiled with my GBA SP2.

Stinky-Dinkins

Let Her Cook
15 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
I plan on getting a DS this week for Castlevania and a few other games that interest me. The screens are BACKLIT, right? Not that front-lit shit? Are the colors washed out? I've only seen the banged up Nintendogs demo models in Gaystop. Now I'm worried about the screens, since I am spoiled with my GBA SP2.

As far as I know it's backlit.

It looks great to me. I'm not super anal or anything so I haven't exactly compared every firggin' screen on the market but it is worth it just for Castlevania alone. The colors look great, the brightness is great, the game is great, and the screen is very durable.... and this is coming from someone who doesn't really dig handhelds (I do dig Castlevania though.)

Don't make me post the coat.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:

I guaran-damned-tee you you won't be disapointed.

I can't fathom how anyone can be so anal, the screens look great. They're LCD so you have about 15 degrees of clear vision, but it's a freaking handheld and works great.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Stinky-Dinkins said:
As far as I know it's backlit.

It looks great to me. I'm not super anal or anything so I haven't exactly compared every firggin' screen on the market but it is worth it just for Castlevania alone. The colors look great, the brightness is great, the game is great, and the screen is very durable.... and this is coming from someone who doesn't really dig handhelds (I do dig Castlevania though.)

Don't make me post the coat.

and so it is written...

I'm sure I'll love it. Can't wait to play Castle-freekin-vania on it.

edit: also getting a "gauran-damn-tee"....sweet. Might pick it up today...ahead of schedule.

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
It doesn't matter as long as Nintendo eventually fixes the problem with a different model or dazzling people with the colors of the rainbow. It's almost about time for a DS revision isn't it?

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Magnaflux said:
Don't forget to pick up Meteos while you're at it.

Well I got Trauma Center, NanoStray and Lunar on the way from BIG...plan on getting Castlevania when I pick up the system. The other games are for backup. So, I'll keep Meteos in mind. I have a tendency to bite off more than I can chew when I get a new system.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:

The DS screens are fine.

(Details on why they're fine was already mentioned by Stinky above.)

God only knows what the fuck these crazy bastards are complaining about.

Last edited:

TrueTrials

Olly C,
15 Year Member
Has there been any new on if the SP2's are coming to the UK?
Micro's have got a 4th release date will they sneak out around that time possibly?

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
pixeljunkie said:

I own an SP2 and a DS, and from the way you talk I'd say don't expect much from the DS screens. They are definitely slightly washed out and not too bright, and the viewing angle is really annoying (you have to hold it just right to see both screens at even brightness). Speaking as someone who owns a bunch of handhelds, including SP2, PSP and DS - the DS screens are just passable. Certainly much better than the old SP (which was only frontlit), but very weak compared to the SP2.

But the DS games are SO DAMN GOOD you will get over the screen quality in minutes. You may get a little annoyed when you play your SP2 though, because the screen on that thing is just incredible. However, as a consolation, the DS speakers are the best on any handheld, and it has a normal headphone jack. And IMO the dpad on the DS is better than the SP. If I could only have one system, it would be the DS.

Here are the DS games I own (not counting the Metroid demo), and what I think of them:

Castlevania DOS: just buy it :)
Advance Wars DS: just buy it :)
Meteos: fantastic, more fun than Lumines - BUY if you want a puzzle game
Kirby CC: excellent game, and feels fresh
Nintendogs: fun, very fresh, but not sure about long term appeal
Super Mario 64 DS - great game, some new stuff, half ass control, mini games
Trauma Center: haven't opened it yet :P
Quendan (JPN): very strange, very wacky, but fun rhythm game

I plan to get Phoenix Wright next, followed by Mario Kart when it's released.

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Here are the DS games I own (not counting the Metroid demo), and what I think of them:

Sure, buy Advance wars if you like rts games. I've played advance wars for gba and didn't like that too much. I've heard that this is similar to the gba version. I won't go near it.

Just my opinion.

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Jack Burton said:

Sure, buy Advance wars if you like rts games. I've played advance wars for gba and didn't like that too much. I've heard that this is similar to the gba version. I won't go near it.

Just my opinion.

I tried to only quote the necessary part of diggerman's post. My post should have started where it says Sure, buy Advance wars if you like rts games.

Since I can't edit my post, this is gonna have to do. Sorry.

BIG

sony fanboy
D-Lite said:
Hey sparky, don't go using BIG as a role model for this shit. He changes games and systems twice as often as he changes his tighty-whities.

Maybe if it wasn't for the fact that I've grown accustomed to the PSP screen before actually owning a NDS,I'd probably be satisfied with the quality of the screens .

B-

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
BIG said:
Maybe if it wasn't for the fact that I've grown accustomed to the PSP screen before actually owning a NDS,I'd probably be satisfied with the quality of the screens .

B-
But really how good do you need RomZ to look?

BIG

sony fanboy
D-Lite said:
But really how good do you need RomZ to look?

As good as it can possibly get :kekeke:

BTW,GGXX#Reload looks so much better on the tiny PSP screen than it does on my 27" Sony Trinitron...:(

B-

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I don't understand how you guys are still bitching about this shit....