So demystify this for me... (SNK game releases on Switch)

Edmond Dantes

Rugal's Thug
Okay, one thing I hate about the Nintendo Switch eShop (and probably most digital platforms) is the redundancies.

The Samurai Shodown games can be gotten either as Arcade Archives individually or as a forty dollar set that has an exclusive. This one especially hurts as I got several of the SS games Archives editions before the collection dropped and now I feel like I might have gotten ripped off, unless the one exclusive version of SamShoV isn't anything too special.

Likewise, there's also a choice between Arcade Archives, and the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection. In this case thankfully I don't have any of the games in the collection yet.

Main things I want to know:

ONE - Is there any compelling reason to get the SamSho collection or should I just complete my set via Arcade Archives at this point? (I also have the PS2 anthology but I like the Switch's portability factor).

TWO - Specifically regarding Psycho Soldier, am I correct to assume that no matter which way you go, you can set the machine type to Japanese and thus get the J version of the Psycho Soldier song? Or is that song only available with one release? (Nothing I've ever heard about SNK Anniversary mentioned whether you could set the machine type regions, and this is one of the main chases where I would want to).

Thanks in advance.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Samsho collection has stuff that is cool and worth getting. Both ACA games and the collection go on sale pretty regularly, and it is nice to be able to boot into a particular game without having to go through the collection menus. I also think anniversary collection has multiple regions included for each game but Google for yourself. These are all relatively cheap games that go on sale

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Okay, one thing I hate about the Nintendo Switch eShop (and probably most digital platforms) is the redundancies.

The Samurai Shodown games can be gotten either as Arcade Archives individually or as a forty dollar set that has an exclusive. This one especially hurts as I got several of the SS games Archives editions before the collection dropped and now I feel like I might have gotten ripped off, unless the one exclusive version of SamShoV isn't anything too special.

Likewise, there's also a choice between Arcade Archives, and the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection. In this case thankfully I don't have any of the games in the collection yet.

Main things I want to know:

ONE - Is there any compelling reason to get the SamSho collection or should I just complete my set via Arcade Archives at this point? (I also have the PS2 anthology but I like the Switch's portability factor).

TWO - Specifically regarding Psycho Soldier, am I correct to assume that no matter which way you go, you can set the machine type to Japanese and thus get the J version of the Psycho Soldier song? Or is that song only available with one release? (Nothing I've ever heard about SNK Anniversary mentioned whether you could set the machine type regions, and this is one of the main chases where I would want to).

Thanks in advance.
Hey whats up Edmond, to help with your first question:

Aside from the inclusions of the extras (illustrations,music player, etc), as you noted: a major selling point for the newest Samurai Spirits Neo Geo Collection release was that it included “Samurai Spirits 0 Special Kanzenban” which was not previously commercially released. However, this release omits Samurai Shodown 6 (since it wasn’t on the neogeo) which the ps2 collection you already own has included. So you gain one game in the new collection but lose another. Unless you really care about the final release of Samurai Shodown V/0, the aca releases are a great value and still allow you to play either region.

Regarding your second question:
The SNK 40th Anniversary Collection does allow you to switch rom regions so you can indeed play Psycho Soldier with the main song in either english or japanese. :buttrock:

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Now that I have a switch I should... er, check out its version of the 40th anniversary collection. I'm still pissed off by the bugged loop lever emulation in the PS4 version which they didn't care to fix while circlejerking about games preservation on twitter. Thanks!

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
ONE - Is there any compelling reason to get the SamSho collection

Biggest draw for the collection (besides V Perfect) is online play, which none of the ACA releases have.

TWO - Specifically regarding Psycho Soldier

40th Anniversary Collection lets you choose between the English or Japanese game.

Hamster's emulation is always better than Digital Eclipse's, but to varying degrees depending on the game. The 40th Anniversary Collection doesn't have the online leaderboards of the ACA releases and has shit control schemes used by Digital Eclipse that range from poor to unplayable on some games. Unless you just really want to play the NES games I'd avoid the 40th release.

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I know that The Samsho Collection has Samsho V Perfect. Not sure if archives has it or just SamSho V Special.