Psycho Soldier stealth action game?
Goobtastic.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
Athena in a Bayonetta style? 🤭
Twin stick Ikari warriors?
Psycho Soldier stealth action game?
Goobtastic.
A Metroidvania-style Athena wouldn't be bad. Same thing with Magician Lord.

Just up the action to 11 with both Psycho Soldier and Ikari Warriors. That's all they need to do with those titles.

Oh... can we have another Baseball Stars and Prehistoric Isle?

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
A Metroidvania-style Athena wouldn't be bad. Same thing with Magician Lord.

Just up the action to 11 with both Psycho Soldier and Ikari Warriors. That's all they need to do with those titles.

Oh... can we have another Baseball Stars and Prehistoric Isle?
Could add a bonus mode to Ikari warriors,
Just rip off Tekken and do Ikari Bowling!

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
The Saudi's bought a controlling stake in SNK yes?

I'm not sure how the companies finances are at this stage. Almost all the time people say they are too strapped to attempt 2-D anymore.

If that is still the case they need to go the Sega route & provide some source code to on quality outside studio & let them work their magic (ala Sonic Mania). A solid example of this would be the KOF XII/XIII engine. It would be grerat to see them offer updates in the form of packs (a few new characters, backrounds, somgs, even huds, etc) for a price. I would pay top dollar for that.

Between half assed hardware execution (Neo Geo Mini) & "Meh" in house 3-D graphics I find it hard to get excited about the current SNK.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
The Saudi's bought a controlling stake in SNK yes?

I'm not sure how the companies finances are at this stage. Almost all the time people say they are too strapped to attempt 2-D anymore.

If that is still the case they need to go the Sega route & provide some source code to on quality outside studio & let them work their magic (ala Sonic Mania). A solid example of this would be the KOF XII/XIII engine. It would be grerat to see them offer updates in the form of packs (a few new characters, backrounds, somgs, even huds, etc) for a price. I would pay top dollar for that.

Between half assed hardware execution (Neo Geo Mini) & "Meh" in house 3-D graphics I find it hard to get excited about the current SNK.
Getting DLC for KOX XIII, even this late (hey, Age of Empires did it!), would be pretty awesome, but animating even just one character for that game took up an incredible amount of time. I believe it was 18 months from start to finish? The return on investment for that would sadly not be worth it.

Anyways, from my understanding, SNK has been pretty profitable since they were reborn yet again in 2016. KOF 14 sold well enough, Sam Sho did better than expected, and KOF 15 has been their highest selling game as a company to date IIRC. They're definitely on an upward trend.

I'm definitely on board for contracting outside studios to help work on titles, provided they're good ones. They kind of already are with their mobile F(uckyourwallet)2P games. They have a treasure trove of IPs and some are long overdue for getting their day in the sun again. That said, they can't just rely on that solely as while those IPs are solid gold to Neo nerds like us, the vast majority of the gaming world today wouldn't have the foggiest idea what the hell they are.

Well there's loads of twin stick shooters available to download on every system going, so my guess is ikari will be one of them for sure.

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
With the exception of metal slug, does anyone care about these ancient franchises? Like the last game in many of these series came out over 30 years ago! I have never heard of anyone clamoring for Athena and Ikari Warriors sequels. Fans of the original games would be like 50 years old... I'm about as excited for these as I am for a Ford Model T.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
With the exception of metal slug, does anyone care about these ancient franchises? Like the last game in many of these series came out over 30 years ago! I have never heard of anyone clamoring for Athena and Ikari Warriors sequels. Fans of the original games would be like 50 years old... I'm about as excited for these as I am for a Ford Model T.
I don't agree personally, but it's a valid point. If a company is busy appealing to boomers, they're going to end up completely left behind. Seems like SNK is trying to run on nostalgia fumes.

I thought they had mentioned developing new IP's? Seems like they're open to and willing to say anything at this point.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I don't know man, like said, a Metroid or Bayonetta type game with old school Athena could be cool.
Ikari Warriors done in a MGS or military tactical/strategy game would be interesting.
Yeah, I don't think anyone is really clamoring for these IPs to return but they are well enough known that they could get some attention to SNK as a whole.
Might pave the way for them to try some new stuff or even a new IP.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I don't agree personally, but it's a valid point. If a company is busy appealing to boomers, they're going to end up completely left behind. Seems like SNK is trying to run on nostalgia fumes.

I thought they had mentioned developing new IP's? Seems like they're open to and willing to say anything at this point.
I think they're experimenting with everything, which is smart.

Having a huge backlog of established IPs collecting dust isn't good for business, but neither is solely relying on them either.

Good games with good marketing are what they need, and thus far the new SNK has done pretty darn well with that.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member

Boomers are a lot older than 50.

Well most people who brought metal gear solid had never played/heard of the original game. If the idea is good enough then a forgotten ip can still become a new hit.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Ikari Warriors already had two sequels...Victory Road and Ikari III: The Rescue. I also loved playing Psycho Soldier. I could easily 1cc the game and still own the original pcb of the game.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Selfishly, I'd like a modern Street Smart, Beast Busters, and Victory Road sequel:)

Fygee

20 Year Member
I liked SNK's mobile Beast Busters sequel that they made back in...2015 I think? It was fun and a bummer it was pulled from both app stores a long time ago.

Their music rhythm game was a lot of fun too.

Last edited: