SNK, Ragnagard, and Battle Master...

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
When I'm not playing neo geo games, then I'm usually hunting around for SNK/Neo Geo-related information. This time, I was searching around for information about Ragnagard/Shin Ou Ken and stumbled upon a fantastic interview by Heidi Kemps at Gaming.moe.

The interview is with Akihiro Takanami who was the primary developer behind Battle Master on the Super Famicom and Ragnagard on the Neo Geo. It's a very long interview with tons of information for those interested, though much of it was not SNK related, so here are some great highlights:

image_thumb66.png

1) Contrary to popular theories stating that the Neo Geo hardware didn't have a lot of third-party titles due to lack of publisher interest, SNK was actually actively declining/preventing third party developers from releasing titles on their hardware in the early 90's. Battle Master was one of these declined Neo Geo projects:

"System Vision’s president wanted to try doing a release on Neo Geo, but SNK declined, saying that they weren’t interested in third-parties, and we unfortunately had to go with a home console release. The reason this bummed me out is that (at the time – ed), unlike arcade games, console-only fighting games had no chance of going mainstream. On the other hand, we didn’t have to deal with the pressure that comes from having to make a game robust enough to serve as a means of competition, and could just kick loose during development."

0d1fd34f22c9730e91eb5170fbddc114_XL.jpg

Battle Master - Kyuukyoku no Senshitachi ...could have been on the Neo Geo?!

2) The relationship between SNK and Saurus:

"My understanding now and at the time was that they were an affiliate of SNK responsible for porting Neo Geo games to consumer hardware. I never spoke at length directly with anyone internally at the company, so I don’t really know much about them, either. They mostly gave us advice on how to design Shin-Oh-Ken as an arcade game. Very simple stuff, just talk about making the design of the game simpler. We corresponded back and forth with them, but while the release date for Shin-Oh-Ken was June 13, 1996, the game wasn’t actually released until about two or three months after that."

3) King of Fighters 96 delayed the release of Ragnagard:

"One of the points that came up when we signed the contract to make a Neo Geo game is that the release of SNK’s games took priority, and I heard that the ROM burning plants stopped manufacturing ROMs for third-party games. This was around the time when KOF96 went on sale on July 30, 1996, so Shin-Oh-Ken being pushed back was probably the result of us being in the same window. The ROMs for Shin-Oh-Ken simply didn’t exist on its release date."

4) The early draft for Ragnagard was a cyberpunk themed fighting game:

"The president of the company asked me to come back to plan a game. When I got there, he showed me a draft for a fighting game the Mr. T I mentioned earlier had made, a serious cyberpunk game with a roster full of military guys. Nothing about it hooked me. All of the characters looked like sidekick types, and when I asked the planner who came up with it for a reason why, he couldn’t give me a good answer."

5) Darkstalkers was an influence on the theme of Ragnagard:

"At the time we started development, Vampire/Darkstalkers, Samurai Shodown 1, and KOF 94 had just come out. I loved all three of them, but Darkstalkers was easily #1. If Darkstalkers was a game with monsters and demons as a motif, what about a game full of angels and gods? Even if the old guys at the company didn’t understand the characters in SF2, they’d be able to understand gods from mythology."

537785-ragnagard.jpg

6) The reason Ragnagard featured prerendered CG characters:

"This was an extremely difficult decision for someone who loved Capcom’s 2D spritework as much as I did. At the time, my mentor Hideki Suzuki was really into the prerendered graphics that you saw in Donkey Kong Country and all sorts of DOS games, and strongly recommended we use a similar style. I finally had the chance to draw 2D pixel art for an arcade game, and swore to myself that I wasn’t going to let this chance get away, but Suzuki pointed out that animation quality would be more important than on any project we’d previously worked on, which meant drawing a crazy number of key animation frames.

“It’s going to be pretty difficult to get those all drawn within the deadline, won’t it?”

That shut me up. I’d pretty much just grandstanded in everything I’d done up to that point, and had no idea how to create a proper work environment for the amount of animation we’d need to create. I finally thought I’d have the chance to show my pixel art to the world on the same stage as SF2, and then that happened. Most brutal decision of my life. That wouldn’t have happened knowing what I know now. I would have been able make a stand, and propose a number of methods for creating pixel art for the game.
"

7) Ragnagard would have featured Syoh from Battle Masters as a hidden guest fighter:

"We also wanted to see about putting Syoh from Battle Master in the game as a guest character, ala Ryo Sakazaki in Fatal Fury Special. But we talked to Saurus and they said no."

8) The origins of the "Ragnagard" title for the overseas release:

"We matched some words from northern European mythology: “Ragnarok” -> “Destiny of the Gods” -> “Beyond the Battle of Susanooh”.
From there we started thinking of names with suffixes like “<something>gard” or “<something>heim”, trying to match the meaning of heaven and earth taken from Aquarion. The people in charge started getting impatient waiting for us to think of something, though, so we just went with what we had.
"

Thank you so much Heidi for this excellent interview!

Please be sure to check out the full original interview by Heidi Kemps on her Gaming.moe website:

Last edited:

Neo_Mike_81

King's Dry Cleaner
Thanks for posting this interview, enjoyed reading it.
Ragnagard is my favorite guilty pleasure neo game, besides Gowcaizer.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Awesome share, BN. It's great to read some fresh Neo info that I haven't come across before. Thanks man!

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Awesome info as always. Especially about Saurus, though it wasnt much. Seems like there will always be some mystery about that company. Thanks dude!

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Thank's for sharing. System Vision seems to be just as mysterious (yet hardly as notorious) as Saurus. There have been times where I've wondered what connection, if any, existed between these two titles.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
That’s really great stuff, thanks.

So SNK didn’t want Battle Master on Neo but they went for Ragnagard. Nobody’s perfect, I guess...but my word, Ragnagard is a profoundly ugly game. Donkey Kong Country indeed...

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Ragnagard looked cool back in the day. Too bad it doesn't play as good as it looked.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I happen to find the inverse true. Ever tried those ariel battle action combos Neo Alec?
I'm not going to pretend I've spent much time with the game recently. My comments are mostly based on my impressions when I got it 15 years ago. I do remember it being a juggle fest though.

But I'm glad someone enjoys how it plays. I look forward to giving the game another chance in the future, because I really want to like it. Perhaps it has aged better than I expected.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
All this thread told me to do is obtain Battle Masters for Super Famicom.

Ragnagard is ugly but also impressive in the ridiculous amount of animation frames, it's sort of a CGI Art of Fighting 3.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Ragnagard looked cool back in the day. Too bad it doesn't play as good as it looked.
It never looked good. If it looked good 20 years ago, like Vampire, it would look good now, like Vampire. That’s how good art works.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Thanks for consolidating and highlighting this info. I have always have a soft spot for Ragnagard, and thought it looked great back in the day. I don't like playing it much but for short burst, it is fun.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
It never looked good. If it looked good 20 years ago, like Vampire, it would look good now, like Vampire. That’s how good art works.
So what you're saying is... all the times when people engage in discussion about certain types of graphics aging more poorly than others, that's all bullshit and people are just wasting their breath.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
So what you're saying is... all the times when people engage in discussion about certain types of graphics aging more poorly than others, that's all bullshit and people are just wasting their breath

For the most part, yes. Early CG looks worse than cave paintings. This was as obvious when Killer Instinct and Toy Story were brand new as it is now. Some people will sacrifice anything for a smoother frame rate but the hangover is eye opening. We are not wiser as a species than we were a puny 25 years ago nor have we leveled up from an art appreciation standpoint since then and the games are done, set in stone, unchanging. Rembrandt would tell you to your face that Donkey Kong Country looks like shit. He say it in 1995 as easily as today (in theory, since he’s been dead for like four centuries.)