Show em if you got em... Beer Collections!!!

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I will tell you what is overrated though. Anything by Sierra Nevada. Not sure if it's an Ohio beer, but people go crazy for that shit here. Every single variation of that shit tastes like you're licking a tire.

I like Sierra Nevada. The ale especially. An Ohio beer? Its from Cali...like the mountain range.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I can't be arsed to take a picture and upload it, even if it is of beer, much less show off a collection of them. What is this, high school?

Is there anything you can be "arsed" into Joe?

Beer is illegal for high schoolers.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Whats the grail of beer collecting? I had Alchemist Brewery's Heady Topper the other day, one of my personal grails.

I just picked up a Heady Topper and a Crusher from a bottle shop. I'm in Philly for the weekend. I'm glad to finally be crossing that one of the list, too.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
View attachment 50165

Last May I went to a North Korean restaurant and took my bottle of beer home. A few months later all the NK restaurants were ordered to close so I guess that's my last bottle of NK beer (foreground).

The one in the background is a bottle from where I used to live of the local beer where you can only buy it in that city.

edit: lmbo sunfaded labels

What's with the dust dude?

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Whats the grail of beer collecting? I had Alchemist Brewery's Heady Topper the other day, one of my personal grails.
There is a beer in Belgium from a small abbey that won several prizes but which is crazy short in supply. No joke; you need to call the abbey one week before pickup and you can only buy a maximum of 24 small bottles. It's called West-Vleteren, look it up. That being said I didn't think it was all that great, I'm sticking to mass-produced generic shitty beer.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
This thread is a bit funny.

Sometimes beer nerds think everyone knows about the beer they do and I need to remind them how they are a small subset of a subset.

So far every beer mentioned in this thread, including Dogfish 120, Heady Topper, and even Westvleteren (the 12 is the one you want they also make Blonde and 8 for retail), have been basically normal beet or 'shelf turds', stuff you can just walk in and buy somewhere at the right place or time of year.

The Westy 12 got a gift box set with two bottles and a glass released a few years back and even the straight from the abbey stuff isn't that hard to get because it gained some attention as the 'best beer in the world' some time back so plenty of Belgian beer webshops always keep it in stock.

Dogfish 120 minute sits because it's no longer special and Heady Topper is also an easy get if you have connections in the northeast.

People trade for beer, regularly shipping 50 pound boxes around on FedEx trucks acquiring, flipping beer for better beer, winning trades, posting haul pics. Going to release days, bringing their girlfriend/parents/grandparents/bums/hookups (none of those are jokes all have happened) so that they can get extra allotments when the release is limited to say 2 bottles/cans per person.

The hype train is real and drives the perceived value of certain beers/breweries
If it is either a limited release adjunct laden stout, a hazy/New England/Northeast IPA in a 16 oz can, or a Belgian Gueuze (a traditional sour ale) those are generally the most desirable with prices on the secondary market for the stouts and gueuzes easily reaching a few hundred bucks and topping out around $1500 for some rare shit for a single 22oz/750mL bottle.

Otherwise the beer market in the US on the micro/craft/independent side is hyper local, brewpubs are thriving and I think we are over 6,000 breweries in the US.

Much like SNES prices, it will probably all come crashing down soon.

Lots of shared qualities between hobbies of all kinda when you get into the tail end of the bell curve.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Any St. Bernardus, Bruery Sour in the Rye, Rochefort 8 and 10, Petrus Red, Unibroue La Fin Du Monde, Westmalle Dubbel, Corsendonk Brown, Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout.

Lots of Belgian stuff on madman's list here, all of these beers should be pretty easy to find in any big specialty shop.

It is a list of great beers particularly Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout and the St Bernadus 12 and Rochefort 10 are pretty close approximations of what Westvleteren 12 is like and you won't spend $25+ for a 330mL bottle.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
There is a beer in Belgium from a small abbey that won several prizes but which is crazy short in supply. No joke; you need to call the abbey one week before pickup and you can only buy a maximum of 24 small bottles. It's called West-Vleteren, look it up. That being said I didn't think it was all that great, I'm sticking to mass-produced generic shitty beer.

It's a really good beer. But I guess like every time you taste something that is THE BESTEST, you are kind of let down because you somehow imagine it's going to be heavenly.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
This is at least a little bit closer to a collection compared to all other pictures...

10zr8f7.jpg

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I drink beer because when you go to a restaurant and order a beer they cannot charge you £20 for it, it just wouldn't make any sense, even at a high end restaurant, because you know it cost them less than £1. You buy a bottle of wine in that restaurant and it's £100, and it's some piece of shit £5 bottle of wine but you don't know that because there are so many bottles of wine from so many small batches of cheap shit from crappy vineyards that it's impossible to keep up with.

This recent spate of beer worship is going to mean the exact same thing happens with beer, and soon they'll be wanting £20 for a bottle of Monkeys Dick or whatever it is, hoping you don't know what it is so you don't know what it cost.

Beer is swill for the masses and we're slowly killing that.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
It's a really good beer. But I guess like every time you taste something that is THE BESTEST, you are kind of let down because you somehow imagine it's going to be heavenly.

The bestest beer any man ever drank is after a long hard day of work in some hot weather.

Ice cold beer after a shit day is the best. Also, why I'm a drinker.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
View attachment 50165

Last May I went to a North Korean restaurant and took my bottle of beer home. A few months later all the NK restaurants were ordered to close so I guess that's my last bottle of NK beer (foreground).

The one in the background is a bottle from where I used to live of the local beer where you can only buy it in that city.

edit: lmbo sunfaded labels

What's pixelated?

Being nosey.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I was thinking who buys lots of beer for variety... then I look in my fridge...

77D65041-8CC2-4BF9-BD74-5EE71C8736E5.jpeg

I basically buy whatever is on offer at the supermarket. And apparently I’ve been shit at finishing one type off before buying a pack of something else. And yes that can on the far left is actually Pear Cider from Lidi. It’s nice for the warmer weather. Which in Scotland means above 10 degrees.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Is there anything you can be "arsed" into Joe?

Beer is illegal for high schoolers.

That's a good question, but now, you're being naive.

Edit: lithy, you make good points, but I'm not into beer for its rarity, rating, popularity or how photogenic it is. I drink what's I like, and if it's cheap, common or passé, so be it. 120 is no grail, and I'm not in the market for grails.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The bestest beer any man ever drank is after a long hard day of work in some hot weather.

Ice cold beer after a shit day is the best. Also, why I'm a drinker.

Damn right, nothing better than a cold beer after a hard days work no matter what it is. As the old saying goes.... for a hard earned thirst you need a big cold beer!

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Damn right, nothing better than a cold beer after a hard days work no matter what it is. As the old saying goes.... for a hard earned thirst you need a big cold beer!

i love you man no homo