Shock Troopers 2nd Squad - Items Question

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I just wanted to confirm a few things. My southtown shockbox insert has these bonuses and I don't recall knowing all of what they do. I googled and confirmed some them and playing through the game on multicart helped too. I used to own the MVS cart, but I traded it to someone else and now I regret it. The 161 slowdown is bad. Any clarification would be great, I think I understand a good chuck of them, but the ones with an '***', are really in question.

Power stock, increases your weapons up to lv3 (so 3x3).

***Weapon, is just points?

Life Up, increases your life

***Energy Up, no idea?

Flame shower, special weapon, limited fire

Missile launcher, special weapon, limited fire

Round charger, special weapon, limited fire

Boomerang gun, special weapon, limited fire

***Insignia bonus, does this give you your rank at the end of the game? I've never finished it using only 1 credit, but that is what it seems like. I think I may use the UniBios and go all the way through and see what happens.

Plate Bonus, this appears to be additional bonus points if you collect letters next to your character's name. If you collect the wrong letters, you lose whatever you've already collected. If you play with a second player, the word changes from the character's custom nickname. - This is labeled under "Bonus keywords

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
***Weapon, is just points?

Special weapon/bomb, activated by pushing C (or B if you're on Japanese BIOS). Each W gives you an extra 1 or 2 uses of it, up to a maximum of 10 or 20 (depending on character)

***Energy Up, no idea?

Restores ammo for Flamethrower / Boomerang / Round Charger / Missile Launcher.

***Insignia bonus, does this give you your rank at the end of the game? I've never finished it using only 1 credit, but that is what it seems like. I think I may use the UniBios and go all the way through and see what happens.

? This sounds like the gold bars that appear from certain close-range kills, which can give you up to 19990 points if you pick it up at the right time in the animation cycle. It is not the only thing that determines your ranking title at the end of the game.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I found this copy of the japanese manual using google. So, I did some magic and with my limited japanese + someone who speaks japanese, I was able to get the "straight from the horses's month" answers. I didn't even know these were out there... Were these the real japanese manuals?

Shock_Troopers_2nd_Squad_1999_Saurus_JP-7sm.jpgShock_Troopers_2nd_Squad_1999_Saurus_JP-10sm.jpgShock_Troopers_2nd_Squad_1999_Saurus_JP-12sm.jpg

Last edited:

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Well you seemed unsure as to what things like Energy were referring to, so I tried to help.

Yes, official home cart releases have manuals. Yes, that's what the manual looks like.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
I just wanted to add that even a real Shock Troopers 2 cartridge has serious slowdown. So, I don't know how much slow down the multi cart version has, sure, it's probably worse, but even the real deal has serious slowdown.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Well you seemed unsure as to what things like Energy were referring to, so I tried to help.

Yes, official home cart releases have manuals. Yes, that's what the manual looks like.

Oh man, don't get me wrong. I totally appreciate it. I was just saying I found this information and wanted to share. Thanks again.