Shining Crystal Bit '95

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
Gone to playing KOF '95 and tried using Athena. Seems I'm too used to the Shining Crystal Bit being hcbX2+A/C.

Checked an FAQ from GameFAQs and found the move listed as b, hcb, ub + B/C?

I don't know if that's right or not. Or if it's just me. Is there an easier way or shortcut for the Shining Crystal Bit?

Any tips on technique?

Thanks.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
I'll try to check out my manual later for you...but yeah, KOF 95 still used the classic and more difficult movesets for character DM's, but considering the damage factor I suppose it's a pretty fair tradeoff...

Kazuki Dash

well, checked the manual earlier, and that's the command input for the move all right...guess it's just one of those moves that'll require notorious amounts of practice...
:confused:

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
Kazuki Dash said:
well, checked the manual earlier, and that's the command input for the move all right...guess it's just one of those moves that'll require notorious amounts of practice...
:confused:

You ain't just whistlin' Dixie. I've pulled off the move all of once now by having a panic in the corner near the end of a round and button pressing. A lot of good it did me with my opponent on the other side of the screen, and while on the ground no less!

Usually when I try it on the ground all that comes off is the taunt, and when I try in the air I land before I can pull anything off. It's gonna' take a ton of practice on my pad. I'd use my stick, but it has a japanese-style ball that 's a pain to hold.

Oh well, lots of Vs. Time for me trying to learn the move.

Kazuki Dash

well, good luck dude...and look on the bright side, they could have used a similar motion to Duck King's DM from FFSpecial...
:eek_2:

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
That move is a pain but once you get it down it's pretty easy, but still it's pretty worthless in 95.

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
Kazuki Dash said:
Progress report?
:D
Yeow...I've been at work a lot lately, so not a lot of time to play. But so far, still just misplaced taunts and missed imputs. I'm still workin' on it.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
I tried it a couple times and got it probably on my third try. It's really not that difficult, just not a motion we're used to. If you want a real challenge of a sdm...try Iori's qcf, hcb+A/C, then right when Iori grabs his opponent do qcfx4+AC. I haven't mastered this one just yet, but I can do it every 4 or 5 tries anyhow, not ready to use it competitively just yet.

SwordPlay

Crossed Swords Squire
SnairDogg said:
If you want a real challenge of a sdm...try Iori's qcf, hcb+A/C, then right when Iori grabs his opponent do qcfx4+AC. I haven't mastered this one just yet, but I can do it every 4 or 5 tries anyhow, not ready to use it competitively just yet.

There's nothing really that hard about spamming QCF motions then hitting a couple buttons before the move ends.

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
KagerouSama said:
Gone to playing KOF '95 and tried using Athena. Seems I'm too used to the Shining Crystal Bit being hcbX2+A/C.

Checked an FAQ from GameFAQs and found the move listed as b, hcb, ub + B/C?

I don't know if that's right or not. Or if it's just me. Is there an easier way or shortcut for the Shining Crystal Bit?

Any tips on technique?

Thanks.

It's B+C, not B or C. Try buffering from the animation of another move, like her low D or dodge attack.

Kazuki Dash

ouch, pulling this DM right after an AB dodge could give a real nasty surprise to someone who's too close for their own good...
:eek:

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
Did a change-up in my playing style and used my PSX Stick instead of my PSX pad. I get the moves off with more consistancy now, but still a lot of missplaced taunts. I hate that I can't set punches or kicks to the L2 and R1 buttons because I can't use the true Neo-Style button layout. However, I did switch to the NGCD style layout and it's working better. I'll just have to live with it for now, and hope my finances allow me a nice cab in the future.

Kazuki Dash

how did you grip your gamepad? that might make some difference...just in case you're interested, I posted elsewhere how I used pads for fighting games:

I hold the pad securely in my left hand so that my thumb has full range of motion over the directional control and my other fingers stabilizing the pad in a firm(but not tight) grip...I then rest the right side of the pad over my right knee and rely mostly on my index and middle fingers for most of the button work...

for moves that require ABC or BCD commands, I then add my ring finger into the mix...

this is pretty much just an evolution from my countless days of 8-bit NES gaming...
;)

meh, don't even know if this'll be something you can use but what the heck, right?
:glee:

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
Kazuki Dash said:
how did you grip your gamepad? that might make some difference...just in case you're interested, I posted elsewhere how I used pads for fighting games:

meh, don't even know if this'll be something you can use but what the heck, right?
:glee:
Well, just as an update.

I had configured my pad to have punches on top row and kicks on bottom. (My first mess up for the game system.)

My left thumb was positioned on the D-Pad and my right thumb I used for the diamond set-up, for moves with the exception of the (B+C), which I tried pressing with my thumb and index finger.

That technique in it's totality is abandoned for me now in '95, and things are going easier. (Though I must admit I've slipped back into playing '99 for a while.)

BTW: Lupin III trumps Brak from my Avatar. :D

Kazuki Dash

KagerouSama said:
That technique in it's totality is abandoned for me now in '95, and things are going easier. (Though I must admit I've slipped back into playing '99 for a while.)

I think you'll find that modifying your pad technique will really help out in any fighting games you play from now on...oh, and nice new av by the way...
:cool: