Sell me on DS!

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
So far, what sounds good to me are:

Air Traffic Chaos
Hotel Dusk (although I'm guessing this one doesn't have a lot of replay value)
Zelda, I guess. I've always liked the Zelda games
Ninja Gaiden, hopefully
the latest Castlevania

I'm kind of Marioed out, and I was never a big Kirby guy.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
So far, what sounds good to me are:

Air Traffic Chaos
Hotel Dusk (although I'm guessing this one doesn't have a lot of replay value)
Zelda, I guess. I've always liked the Zelda games
Ninja Gaiden, hopefully
the latest Castlevania

I'm kind of Marioed out, and I was never a big Kirby guy.

I don't know if you have a Wii or not. If you do there is a demo channel for DS games where you can try out certain games every week. At one point they had Air Traffic Chaos and Ninja Gaiden for example.

As I mentioned earlier my wife spent about 18 hours going through Hotel Dusk and once it is over, it is pretty much over. It plays out slow, so you might want to read up on it more to see if you would like it.

Zelda PH and Ninja Gaiden are stylus controlled only. So, if you are going to be new to the DS you might want to rent them prior to buying them.

All three Castlevania DS games are great. I am playing through the latest one know but I think that the first (Dawn of Sorrow) is the best.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
If you like the Castlevanias, play all 3. They change the systems up considerably between them, while the gameplay remains the same. I think I liked the second a little better than the first - playing through the third now and loving it, but not sure how to rate it versus the first two yet.

You might want to look on youtube for gameplay shots from these titles before you buy, just to get a general idea. Out of all the ones you didn't mention, the Megaman ZX titles, Nanostray titles, and Professor Layton really should not be missed. If you like Trace Memory/Hotel Dusk, you'll like Layton as well. Take a look on youtube.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Here's the real deal STK; clean of retarded RPG's and cheesy stylus stuff, I like games that make proper use of the dual screen, but unfortunatley not all games have it done properly, so if you like the creamof the crop then we're all set!

In no particular order

Contra 4 (Fuck yeah!)
Yoshy's Island DS (One of the first to use both screens nicely)
Mr Driller Drilling Spirits (Awsome title aswome game!)
Legend of Kage 2 (Super nice with cheesy dialogues here and there, but all ninja action the way it was meant to be; with no stylus!)
Ketsui Death Label (Here's a game that could have used the Dual screen)
Bubble Bobble Double Shot (Hell yeah! The intro alone pulls you in!)
Bomberman (the first one, you get to save the power ups and keep an inventory on the bottom screen for quick access, boss fights are dual screen!)
Littel Red Riding Hood Zombie BBQ (Wait 'till you play this, is goona be awsome!)

...and now my guilty pleasure (no stupid puns intended) Guilty Gear Dust Strikers: This game is amazing, but folks need to understand that is not quite like the other GG games, you need to learn the simple yet difficult mechanicsof the game to be profficient and have fun with it. There's one thing though, you need to up the difficulty 'cause otherwise is way to easy, I clean this game with over 5 characters no continues. I can only imagine 4 people playing this knowing what their doing and man it could be so much fun!

Think of this as a watered down GG Isuka, now if you didn't get or liked Isuka you still have a chance to like this as it works with levels on the dual screen rather than plane fights.

On the GBA if you want to play GBA games on it, you have the usual suspects, but I'll make a short super sweet list of the best of the bestest!!!!

Ninja- Five 0 (Greates game in a handheld)
Gradius Galaxies/Generations (Hell fucking yeah!)
Aladdin (Al kinds of amazing like it's SNES counterpart)
R-Type III (Man this is it right here!)
Super Street Fighter II Turbo Revival (Actually is pretty damn amazing for this game to fit so well in the GBA, man is like the SNES SSF2, but better! Way better!, the buttons take a bit to get used to, but once you're there you'll be fine)

PS: I didn't mentione SNK games 'cause the 2 KOF's for GBA are ok, but no cigar, the GGX for GBA is just not as fun as the WS ones and Metal Slug 7 is cool, but I haven't played enough to warrant a recommendation. I also didn;t include any Metroids or Castlevanias or the susal suspects 'cause I'm trying to keep it clean here, mostly aracdey stuff which to me is the way all handheld games should be.

I don't think any SNK games in handheld are ever gonna top NGPC, there's just no way in hell that can happen. oh! The SVC card game in DS is pretty cool, but is RPG'ish so I didn't think you'd be interested.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ is repetitive, generic, and lame. All you do is train the stylus on the same three zombies over and over again. I played through the first three stages and was bored to death.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
buy one
play the 10 or 20 good games on it

sell it

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Legend of Kage 2 (Super nice with cheesy dialogues here and there, but all ninja action the way it was meant to be; with no stylus!)
I LOVE the original arcade game, so I was extremely interested in this game for DS, but I watched videos of it on youtube and it looks boring as fuck. A lot of levels of running from the left side of the screen to the right side and just slashing whatever happens to be in front of you. The original was so cool with all the jumping through the trees in all directions and throwing ninja stars every which way. The videos I watched made it look like the DS game fails to capture that. Maybe I just watched the wrong parts, but I was very disappointed by what I saw.

I don't think any SNK games in handheld are ever gonna top NGPC, there's just no way in hell that can happen.
It's already happened. I still play my NGPC every day (literally), but usually just Shanghai or Reversi. NGPC KOF R-2 loses a little bit of its appeal when I can play portable Neo fighters, everything from Neo Double Dragon to Real Bout Special on PSP.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The least helpful post was from Neo Alec. Neo Alec, I'm not setting up a contest that needs to be fair and impartial or whatever. "Counting" or "not counting" emulation is a complete non issue. It's there. I play the games. I'm trying to find out if DS has games I want to play that I can't already play on PSP. I'm not going to ignore games I already have just to appease your sense of cosmic video game justice.
Relax dude. I wasn't trying to make a useful comment. Most of my comments are not very useful. I'm in the same boat as you with the DS, so I have no ideas. You just somehow reminded me of my Game Gear days, when every other game I played was a Master System game, with your remark about emulation.

Last edited:

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
well mister southtown, (and no sarcasm in here towards anything)
i think the games that i tend to play are the castlevania games.
which i've gone through and played the ecclessia game recently,
just got chrono trigger (nice to have battle options on the bottom screen)
and played alot of dragon warrior 4 until school starting taking all my free time.
one game i picked up and haven't spent any time on was the sonic bioware game.
(i thought it was alittle dull myself)
the remark about the psp more or less is a result of me being a crotch'dy gamer.
my friend gave me the iso's for the ridgeracer games and i played that for the memories.
but i don't get wet on anything else that's offered on the psp.
i can't think of anything i'm looking to play on the psp other than the idea that i can
use it as a rom machine.
last time i was remotely interested in the psp was for the drac x game
(which i think is a step down with the 3d graphics.)
i have the pce version so i'm guessing i wouldn't be too impressed
by a watered down port that sweetened the deal with more old castlevania stuff i've
already played on my saturn and playstation.
anyways.
critisim aside and taking into account i wasn't really trying to post
something productive in the first place. everything's relative.
and relative to the games i like:

ds: 1
psp: 0