Sega Saturn 25 Years Later

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I did. And I imported tons of games. It had the only home versions of Capcom Fighters worth playing. And in my opinion the best home version of Alpha 3. It was also a good and cheap way to play SNK Fighters. I loved Saturn. I even enjoyed the Resident Evil port in all of its rainbow colored smoke glory. And Night's is still is the shit.

Agreed. I cant remember if Alpha 3 used the RAM cart. I think it did, but I cant remember.

Loved playing Marvel Vs SF and Xmen Vs SF with nearly no load times. Damn, what a great little console.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I bought a pair of USA Saturns in 2007, been into it on and off ever since. I currently have one USA region Saturn and a white Japanese unit, both have modchips installed.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Agreed. I cant remember if Alpha 3 used the RAM cart. I think it did, but I cant remember.

Loved playing Marvel Vs SF and Xmen Vs SF with nearly no load times. Damn, what a great little console.

The Capcom fighters together with the likes of Sega Rally and such where the pinnacle for sure

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I get really nostalgic for the Saturn. I got one in 97 or 98 with Resident Evil, Virtua Cop 2 and Daytona USA. I bought a couple of clearanced games a couple of years after that, and couldn’t have been happier: Duke Nukem, COTA, puzzle fighter, Three Dirty Dwarves, Mr. Bones, etc.

I sold it all to go towards the GameCube...

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran

It did! And it ironically came out after the DC version. It was actually superior to it!

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Sega Saturn was the first console I ever played in my life, as a small child. I was born in 1995, same year the Saturn launched in the US. the first games I played were Mr. Bones (WTF) and Clockwork Knight 2. My mom's friend's husband was a musician in Nashville, TN, and he let me play it at his house when the adults were hanging out to keep me busy. My older brother's friend also had a saturn, and my uncle had one as well. personally i never owned a saturn myself until adulthood, sadly. boy did i want one though. i recall in the year 2001 i saw the house of the dead behind glass at a game store when my parents took me there to get game boy/color stuff and it was already $150 dollars. i was drooling.

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
Purchased a US Saturn when they pack in the 3 games and picked up Darius Gaiden for $20 at Toys R Us. Since then, I was hooked with Saturn. In 1996, I purchased a Japanese system and imported so many Japanese games. My most memorable purchase is Princess Crown which was purchased used online at videogamedepot.com for $40- money well spent. Got a whole bunch of games from Matt of wolfgame and even had terrible experience with Buyrite videogame. Ordered Shining Force III and Magic Knight Rayearth from EBgames. I spent my college years playing Saturn! Those are the days. In fact, I just played Outrun on the Saturn last night. It's so sad the US market was dominated by Playstation at the time.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I was a early adopter for the sega saturn.I don't have the first revision any more,just the second model but it works still.First time i really got into importing for a console to.From x-men vs street fighter,cyberbots,vampire savior,radiant silvergun,gunbird and princess crown and dungeons&dragons as well.The sega fair well to at least with some original games,panzer dragoon series etc being one.I also have fond memories to playing all nights using the saturn netlink for online gaming.Be it sega rally,dukem nukem 3D and saturn bomberman as well.

P.S it's a shame the sega satirn didn't do well in the u.s.From that fool berine stolar and the bad blood between soa and soj didn't help either.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Purchased a US Saturn when they pack in the 3 games and picked up Darius Gaiden for $20 at Toys R Us. Since then, I was hooked with Saturn. In 1996, I purchased a Japanese system and imported so many Japanese games. My most memorable purchase is Princess Crown which was purchased used online at videogamedepot.com for $40- money well spent. Got a whole bunch of games from Matt of wolfgame and even had terrible experience with Buyrite videogame. Ordered Shining Force III and Magic Knight Rayearth from EBgames. I spent my college years playing Saturn! Those are the days. In fact, I just played Outrun on the Saturn last night. It's so sad the US market was dominated by Playstation at the time.
I remember when babbages sold imports for the saturn.Heck that's how i was able to get a copy of radiant silvergun and castlevania sotn.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I remember when babbages sold imports for the saturn.Heck that's how i was able to get a copy of radiant silvergun and castlevania sotn.
That's how I got Vampire Savior with the 4meg cart for like $30 or so.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The Sega Saturn was released by surprise in the US 25 years ago as of yesterday. Anyone get it on release?
If you've seen the numbers, you know the answer is NO.

Looking back at the Sega Saturn 25 years later is just like looking back at the Vietnam War 45 years later and still wondering how in the hell we managed to lose that one so completely and so badly. It's time to let it go. No new insight will make up for the Saturn's failure and defeat against what should have been an inferior and easy opponent.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
A few weeks ago I almost drunk bought a Hi-Saturn from eBay, then I thought for a second "what the hell am I doing" and closed Firefox.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
ncsx.com w/ the hook up...Radiant Silvergun and Silloutte Mirage on the same day, Vampire Savior...like Alpha 3, the definitive version. So many good times.

I worked at EB Gameworld before it was an EB. Stop N Save Software had no compunction in regards to selling imports. All the 2D pewpews are belong to us.

Twan Stacks for Virtua On, Pushbutton shifting on Daytona w/ the NiGHTS controller, Sega Motherfucking Rally, 6 player tapping Guardian Heroes...this machine’s shine will never dull, for me.

Bratwurst

Rugal's Thug
If you've seen the numbers, you know the answer is NO.

Looking back at the Sega Saturn 25 years later is just like looking back at the Vietnam War 45 years later and still wondering how in the hell we managed to lose that one so completely and so badly. It's time to let it go. No new insight will make up for the Saturn's failure and defeat against what should have been an inferior and easy opponent.

Sums up how I feel about the situation myself. When the Saturn was announced I wanted one but $400 in 1995 was not attainable for a teenager living in a podunk rural area. Even by the time it's price was dropped the availability of systems and software was crushed by Playstations and Nintendo 64s.

I have one now but it's hibernating under a dust cover until I eventually get around to purchasing an ODE.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
That's how I got Vampire Savior with the 4meg cart for like $30 or so.
I'm trying to remember where i got my copy of vampire savior from.Most that i remember was buying it from a importer i saw a ad for in a magazine.Other then it being a bundle deal that included x-men vs street fighter.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
The Sega Saturn was released by surprise in the US 25 years ago as of yesterday. Anyone get it on release?

I got mine only a few years ago with some games, so I never had much nostalgia for it. Radiant Silvergun and Panzer Dragoon Zwei are awesome though
The Playstation was better than the Saturn, because it had better 3D graphics, and more games.
The Street Fighter games on the Saturn were arguably better than those on the PSX.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The Playstation was better than the Saturn, because it had better 3D graphics, and more games.
The Street Fighter games on the Saturn were arguably better than those on the PSX.

Thanks joe8.

ggallegos1, you should have never made this thread. The playstation is better.

I loved my Saturn. Knights Into Dreams is a classic.

Never heard of it. Do you mean Clockwork Night?

Last edited: