Samurai Shodown (Sega CD) - Fatal bug real?

trenton_net

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hey everyone,

Sorry if this has been brought up before. I've heard that the Sega CD version of Samurai Shodown has a fatal bug, where the game crashes once you make it to Amakusa Shiro Tokisada.

Was this real, or was this just another case of rumors taking over fact? I don't think I remember the Sega CD version crashing before, unless it was due to a particular version of the game (Where later builds were fixed?). I've also heard rumors that JVC gave people (who complained) copies of Fatal Fury Special as compensation. But again, this could all be bunk, as I never seen or heard about this myself.

Anyone know anything about this? I don't own the Sega CD version so I can't really confirm.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Even if it did, it wouldn't matter anyway in the grand scheme of things.

This isn't the 90's anymore where you only had the original (arcade) version and maybe a handful of ports.

trenton_net

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I would also add that for some reason, the Takara port of Samurai Shodown for the Genesis seems to out-perform the Sega CD port done by JVC, despite having weaker hardware. I guess JVC just didn't care enough to optimize the game like Takara? Sprites seem a little larger on the Sega CD port, and it does have CD-Quality audio. But it's missing background animations, destructible scenery, announcer match voices, character animations, and a slew of other stuff. I mean even Kuroko is missing from the game while the Genesis port had him in the background refereeing! I suspect if they used slightly smaller sprites like the Genesis port, they would have been able to keep Kuroko in, but... <Shrugs>

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
It is what it is. Ports are more like a mild curiosity these days. Technology has long-surpassed the need for them.

Doom on SNES was technically impressive when it was first released, but now that something like my smartphone can emulate the PC version, there's no need bother with a 16-bit version.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Even if it did, it wouldn't matter anyway in the grand scheme of things.

This isn't the 90's anymore where you only had the original (arcade) version and maybe a handful of ports.

+1

I would also add that for some reason, the Takara port of Samurai Shodown for the Genesis seems to out-perform the Sega CD port done by JVC, despite having weaker hardware. I guess JVC just didn't care enough to optimize the game like Takara? Sprites seem a little larger on the Sega CD port, and it does have CD-Quality audio. But it's missing background animations, destructible scenery, announcer match voices, character animations, and a slew of other stuff. I mean even Kuroko is missing from the game while the Genesis port had him in the background refereeing! I suspect if they used slightly smaller sprites like the Genesis port, they would have been able to keep Kuroko in, but... <Shrugs>

The sega cd port always felt like they simply modified the work that was done in the genesis version. As with fatal fury, the ports probably came out a little closer than the nintendo attempts due to the genesis and neogeo's similar architecture (6800+z80, etc).

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Fatal Fury Special was a lot better on Sega CD than the Genesis FF2. I didn't play Samurai Shodown for Sega CD.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Things were cut out of the sega cd version as it didn't have enough ram. Had they added a ram cart the size of roughly streets of rage 2 it could have fared much better. Case in point, look at air zonk and then look at cd zonk. It's missing stuff all over the place.

I think a lot of people don't understand that a rom cart gives the hardware full access to its memory at all times whereas a cd unit has to load chunks of data into a memory buffer for the system to read. Rom was a lot cheaper than ram back then so it was a cost point you had to hit.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Yeah, but Sega CD has 6 megs RAM, and the Genesis Samurai Shodown is not that good. The animation is severely cut.